Hi guys,

Require help!
    I own a playbook, bought out of the US when it was launched (eager RIM fanboy), now in Singapore.

Been using it fine for about a month, then suddenly it wouldn't charge, finally dropped to 0% and won't charge back up. I need to use it constantly with the wall charger.

I did do all the hard reboot options etc, didn't work. I even bought the Battery guru which gives me a reading that the battery is healthy 92%, it's plugged into the USB wall charger, but it's stuck at 0% charge and 0.00W input. Can anyone please help? I've tried all the options.

I have emailed RIM with all the issues and I have insisted that I pay for the shipping back to RIM for an exchange but they are so vague about me shipping it back and they said they would have problems shipping it back to me(even with me paying for it).

Will hope for any help if possible.

Disappointed RIM fanboy. =(
    08-11-11 11:38 AM
    Have you tried reloading the OS? Desparate but many that might do something.

So it works when plugged into ac but will not charge? Battery guru shows that the battery does have a charge?

Have you tried using a different ac socket or a different charger?
    08-11-11 12:07 PM
    Hi,
    I can't have it in the usb of my mac, won't start up, not enough charge. Also, yes it works whilst in the wall charger but dies 30 seconds off it. Also, tried with a magnetic charger but doesn't work.

So sad
    Hi guys,

Require help!
    I own a playbook, bought out of the US when it was launched (eager RIM fanboy), now in Singapore.

Been using it fine for about a month, then suddenly it wouldn't charge, finally dropped to 0% and won't charge back up. I need to use it constantly with the wall charger.

I did do all the hard reboot options etc, didn't work. I even bought the Battery guru which gives me a reading that the battery is healthy 92%, it's plugged into the USB wall charger, but it's stuck at 0% charge and 0.00W input. Can anyone please help? I've tried all the options.

I have emailed RIM with all the issues and I have insisted that I pay for the shipping back to RIM for an exchange but they are so vague about me shipping it back and they said they would have problems shipping it back to me(even with me paying for it).

Will hope for any help if possible.

Disappointed RIM fanboy. =(
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 12:10 PM
    Mine did the same although it got worse over time. The first time it wouldn't charge (1 day) and was stuck at about 50% then worked as normal for about 4 weeks. Then it did the same for 3 days but Battery Guru revealed sporadic voltage readings then it worked perfectly for a week. Finally it wouldn't charge at all, only powered up when plugged in, voltage all over the place so got an RMA and advanced replacement. I also reinstalled the OS twice, didn't make the slightest difference. My original unit also would never go down to 0% but would shut down without warning between 8% - 15%. The replacement is great.
    08-11-11 12:58 PM
    Hi,
    I can't have it in the usb of my mac, won't start up, not enough charge. Also, yes it works whilst in the wall charger but dies 30 seconds off it. Also, tried with a magnetic charger but doesn't work.
    If you've tried with two chargers, especially on different ports (USB and magnetic port), then we can probably eliminate problems with the chargers. Also, the fact that it runs fine for any amount of time on the charger but dies as soon as you take it off suggests the charger is supplying charge to the unit propertly.

That suggests that the issue is internal, with the battery or with the connection between the battery and the charging controller. There's nothing you can do about that other than (last resort) giving it a sharp "rap" (not enough to break it) to see if you can shake a bad connection back into place for a while. Not a permanent fix, but maybe it would tell you something. The batteries themselves (two) may also be defective in some way.

The "health" reported by Battery Guru (I'm the author...) is merely reporting the capacity as shown by the OS. It's much like saying that a bucket can hold 10 litres of water, even though it might be empty. So that's no help...

If you'd like to do an "export" of your Battery Guru readings, that may tell you a bit more. Feel free to email them to me (via the support email) and I'll analyze them for you. Before doing that, I'd suggest you run BG with it on the charger for 10 minutes, then unplug the charger and let it die, with BG still running. That should get at least one more reading into the log, just after you take it off the charger. Then restart, do the export, copy the file to your PC and email it.

I expect your only real option will be to return it for repair or replacement, though if it's out of warranty you're probably out of luck for doing that without significant cost.
    08-11-11 01:50 PM
    I have similar battery indicator issues - and I am beginning to think that is what the issue is. The playbook may be reporting sporadic battery level readings due to a s/w glitch. As I type this I am at 0% and have been for the last 40 mins. i will not be surprised to see it back at 40 - 50% soon and swing back to 0% again. I have had this issue since the last update. This needs to be fixed as a matter of urgency as we have no idea of the charge status and may be charging unnecessarily etc.
    08-11-11 03:15 PM
    timmartin:

Have you reported this to rim - because it may need to be forcefully brought to their attention.
    08-11-11 04:40 PM
    @timmartin, why do you think that may be a software glitch, rather than a hardware problem? A loose connection somewhere could, I would think, just as easily result in a reading that dropped to 0 and later back up again.
    08-12-11 11:05 AM
    Hi Peter,

This is not a one off connection issue. This is ongoing i.e daily. Right now after a full charge the battery indicator is saying 0%. What happens is that if I put PB back on charge and I just done now the battery instantly jumps to 53%!! Very odd.

F2 - I will be logging this with RIM today.
    08-12-11 11:30 AM
    I think I know where the issue lies:

1. If I charge with the included charger the indicatoor acts normally
    2. If I charge with the desktop charger I get crazy readings.

Also note: The desktop charger usess a diferent charging port.
    08-12-11 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD