I give. Someone please tell me how to retrieve a cached map. This app is not designed to be used off line. Why aren't the bookmarks cached? You have to be online for the bookmarks. No reason for this to be so complicated.
    08-14-12 08:52 PM
    When you find out how to do it let us know. The whole cache thing is for the birds.

Try osmand - it's free, works great online and the maps take a fraction of the space as cached tiles.
    08-14-12 09:12 PM
    Ditto. I can't figure this out for the life of me. I downloaded it a few days ago for a road trip down to the US. Once I read you could use maps offline, it was perfect. Perfect until I spent $5 and can't figure it out. Bah! So much for having maps handy. I had to use this weird ancient book with rings in the spine and paper maps! It was so 10 years ago
    esk369 likes this.
    08-14-12 09:19 PM
    About Magellan Compass and cached tiles. It took me awhile to figure out but it is actually quite easy and doesn't take much space and works great offline you just need some patience.
    First, open Magellan and let your GPS synchronize.
    Then, zoom out to level 9 or so of the map you want. (I'm not sure how many levels you can cache down so you'll have to play with it).
    Once you have the map you want in view, pull down from the top bezel and click the gear (setting). On the left hand side click Cache, at Current Map to: select a larger zoom ( if you're at Level 9 select Level 10 or up) and then click add. Depending on the number of tiles or levels up, it will take about 30 seconds before it starts but it will then start download all the tiles from the current level to the level selected.
    You will then have the map you want cached and everything works. You don't even need to have bridge working.
    Hope this helps. I use it all the time and with no problems.
    Cheers.
    08-14-12 10:49 PM
    About Magellan Compass and cached tiles. It took me awhile to figure out but it is actually quite easy and doesn't take much space and works great offline you just need some patience.
    First, open Magellan and let your GPS synchronize.
    Then, zoom out to level 9 or so of the map you want. (I'm not sure how many levels you can cache down so you'll have to play with it).
    Once you have the map you want in view, pull down from the top bezel and click the gear (setting). On the left hand side click Cache, at Current Map to: select a larger zoom ( if you're at Level 9 select Level 10 or up) and then click add. Depending on the number of tiles or levels up, it will take about 30 seconds before it starts but it will then start download all the tiles from the current level to the level selected.
    You will then have the map you want cached and everything works. You don't even need to have bridge working.
    Hope this helps. I use it all the time and with no problems.
    Cheers.
    Thank you for the instructions. You may have hit upon the stumbling block. Why do you need to have GPS working in order to cache maps. And then, where are the cached maps?
    08-15-12 08:29 AM
    Not sure why you need GPS initialized, but it will not work unless it is.
    Talking to O2 interactive, the cached tiles are stored with the application itself, which sucks for backing up.
    VZretiree likes this.
    08-15-12 08:53 AM
    How do you retrieve cached maps? I have some, as I see the storage mb increase, but I can't find them.
    08-15-12 09:17 AM
    I've been trying to cache the state of California down to street level. Been trying this for about 5 weeks.

You can't even save the tiles for the state, THEN go down to "street level" and it comes up with something like "to much data to do @ once" or something like that.

The only way to cache the state down to street level is to do it in small segments, scroll over, let the map load, scroll over repeat, repeat, repeat....

If one could just pick the state (or even half of a state) and cache the whole thing from state view down to street view (without having white "tiles" show, meaning that you don't have the tile cached.

If Maggellan handled the maps like Navigator, Maggellan would BE GOLDEN!!!!!!!!!!

C
    smweb and vpblaze like this.
    08-15-12 09:26 AM
    I have been under every tab, button, icon....whatever, and there is no cache retrieval.....
    Which tells me that the app retrieves the cache when your GPS tells it u r there. Explains why GPS needs to be on when saving maps. Not well thought out app. Just save the maps separately. People don't have Wifi where they have GPS, vice versa.
    smweb likes this.
    08-15-12 09:45 AM
    Not sure why you need GPS initialized, but it will not work unless it is.
    Talking to O2 interactive, the cached tiles are stored with the application itself, which sucks for backing up.
    Yeah and once you get to about 500MB cached, backing up the PB fails every time.
    At the same time the free storage is reduced by double for some reason.
    The cache should be put in separate folder somewhere. It just can't be if using cache, that you cannot back up the PB anymore.

I feel like this app is still in beta...
    08-15-12 12:29 PM
    Trying to get this program to work has been my worst experience with the PB. Considering that I paid for this app makes it even worse. I went through a lengthy process to download a lot of tiles. The GPS on my phone picks up easily in my car. The GPS on the PB seems to be useless unless I'm sedintary. With a lot of tiles downloaded (3Meg download), all I get is the white screen in the car. I'm reasonably sure someone will come onto this thread and try to explain what I'm doing wrong, but this app seems to have missed the user friendly bandwagon. I'm spoiled by Google Maps on my phone and just want similar performance on this tablet.
    08-16-12 03:07 PM
    I've been hoping Magellan would bring out a usable app that used the Playbook's GPS without the need for internet access. Nothing I have read tells me their more recent offering works satisfactorily. No doubt they will do better with the 4G Playbook but it appears they've failed with the wifi Playbook.

Fortunately, I am one of those Bell Canada customers who jumped on the offer to get unlimited internet access (but no tethering, sigh) for $5 when I bought my HTC Touch in 2007. I use Google Maps to get directions enroute. Eventually, my phone will give out though. I was hoping Magellan would come through with an easy way to cache maps offline but they haven't. Guess I'll keep on coddling that original battery on my Touch until better options are available.
    08-16-12 04:23 PM
    If you haven't seen the manual yet, it can be found by swiping down from the main menu and selecting the icon on the right side with the "i" on what looks like a tabbed book.

Also a long running thread since the cached version was released. The developer is very good at posting replies to questions on this link:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...leased-721909/

If that's too much effort a quick explanation is below:

1. Create and save a route by swiping down and picking the far left icon that looks like a diamond road sign with a zig zag arrow.
    2. Enter both a start and end address (if not using your gps location as one of them)
    3. Tap the Get Directions buttons ( need wifi or bridge to get route directions)
    4. Save Route.
    5. Hit cancel, then Cache button and Start( I use default, but you can determine what map levels to cache), This downloads the map tiles to your PB, but does not save them yet.
    6. When done go back to main screen
    7. Swipe down and select the icon thy looks like a sprocket.
    8. Select Cache, you should see a number showing the number of pending tiles.
    9. Click Save Pending.
    10. When it's done you can close the app.
    11.To simulate offline mode turn off your WiFi and/or bridge and restart the magellan app.
    12.To load the cached route swipe down and select the directions icon again (1st on the top left)
    13. Select Open (might have to hit cancel to bring up the main directions menu)
    14. Select your saved route, then hit Back (don't hit the Directions button you don't need to and without Internet it won't work.

Really? Only 14 steps you guys couldn't figure it out without help?
    Last edited by kjm2010; 08-17-12 at 05:34 AM.
    tdaye likes this.
    08-16-12 08:23 PM
    If you haven't seen the manual yet, it can be found by swiping down from the main menu and selecting the icon on the right side with the "i" on what looks like a tabbed book.

Also a long running thread since the cached version was released. The developer is very good at posting replies to questions on this link:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...leased-721909/

If that's too much effort a quick explanation is below:

1. Create and save a route by swiping down and picking the far left icon that looks like a diamond road sign with a zig zag arrow.
    2. Enter both a start and end address (if not using your gps location as one of them)
    3. Tap the Get Directions buttons ( need wifi or bridge to get route directions)
    4. Save Route.
    5. Hit cancel, then Cache button and Start( I use default, but you can determine what map levels to cache), This downloads the map tiles to your PB, but does not save them yet.
    6. When done go back to main screen
    7. Swipe down and select the icon thy looks like a sprocket.
    8. Select Cache, you should see a number showing the number of pending tiles.
    9. Click Save Pending.
    10. When it's done you can close the app.
    11.To simulate offline mode turn off your WiFi and/or bridge and restart the magellan app.
    12.To load the cached route swipe down and select the directions icon again (1st on the top left)
    13. Select Open (might have to hit cancel to bring up the main directions menu)
    14. Select your saved route, then hit Back (don't hit the Directions button you don't need to and without Internet it won't work.

Really? Only 14 steps you guys couldn't figure it out without help?
    Did not get far. On step 2, the add or save buttons are not activated.
    08-17-12 08:06 AM
    Sorry, you need to search using the address fields on the right side of step 2, then select search, and select from the addresses found before you can add it.
    Last edited by kjm2010; 08-17-12 at 06:05 PM.
    08-17-12 05:57 PM
    Reasenty upgraded to magellan compass. 4.0.0. And can not load cache? Cache use to work good! Now nothing 1 gig gone! Tried map settings and other map types, also other zoom aspects. Still not working. Also i cannot clear 215.2. Mb of space. This app use to work great for me now.....worst then ever.
    01-09-13 08:41 PM
    Go to this thread on the upgrade.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...leased-759954/

Old cache is not compatible, it should be deleted.
    01-10-13 05:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD