will we ever see magazine subscription on pb? is RIM planning for it?
    it will be something handy to have.
    most of big publishers already subscribed to apple/ipad, prices are fairly low (2$ or so).
    don't know with android, whether they will or already have newstands with subscription (like zinio) or direct.
    05-13-11 06:38 AM
    The decision will be up to the publishers. Unless RIM actively blocks them, and I see know reason they would want to.
    05-13-11 06:43 AM
    something to do with security?
    05-13-11 06:47 AM
    it may be country specific, but I have had Readers Digest and Fortune Magazine since release date. Fortune was a pay app, Readers Digest free.

It is not that clear if there will be future issues of these magazines and what the fee on the Fortune magazine paid for, the app or the content.

Robert
    05-13-11 07:40 AM
    yeah i got both. tablet-optimised magazines just release cheaper subscriptions over ipad (previously 5$ per issue)..now around $2/issue, 20$ per year or so. would be nice to have the economist on pb. nobody read readers digest or forbes (not for 5$) these days. bloomberg businessweek sells for 1.99$/issue.
    05-13-11 07:46 AM
    Hope Zinio makes an app for the PB. I already subscribe to several magazines on my iPad through Zinio.
    05-13-11 10:12 AM
    Hope Zinio makes an app for the PB. I already subscribe to several magazines on my iPad through Zinio.
    I sent an email to Zinio about a playbook app. The response I got was they were finializing it and it would be out this summer.
    lawmom4 and stepho like this.
    05-17-11 12:29 PM
    I sent an email to Zinio about a playbook app. The response I got was they were finializing it and it would be out this summer.
    Good to hear, that is definitely a lot better option for magazines than device-specific stuff since it gives you more flexibility.

One thing that it taking until the summer is that they may be taking their time to optimise the reading experience for a smaller tablet screensize since the desktop app is actually built using adobe air.
    05-17-11 01:45 PM
    magazines costs around 2$/issues now so its cheap. can't wait for rim to sign up to publishers. i bet android will do too, soon.
    05-17-11 02:15 PM
    If you subscribe to a magazine's web version (like The Economist) then you can create an app like icon in your Favourites folder which will simply launch the browser and take you to the magazine. I don't see why you would need to wait for a specific app.

Note that many apps are now being coded with HTML5 anyway. Even Angry Birds is now available on any desktop through the Chrome browser store.
    05-17-11 02:35 PM
    Next Issue Media brings magazine subscriptions to Samsung Galaxy Tabs, but not all of them -- Engadget

latest news : subscription coming to samsung galaxy tab, verizon only.
    05-18-11 07:56 AM
    igizmo app is already available
    05-22-11 10:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD