what happened to the 64 and 16gb versions of LTE playbook? Less storage in a new device???
    08-02-12 04:23 PM
    RIM has said that 16GB versions are over and done with. I've no idea why they haven't canned the 32GB and just stuck with 64GB -- or introduce a 128GB. (Cue the "Golly, what would anyone do with 128GB?" Luddites.)
    Gorphia likes this.
    08-02-12 04:28 PM
    This was a smart move by RIM, because if this goes south and doesn't sell well than they don't have as many units sitting around. And only selling in Canada to see how it sells is also a smart move.
    08-02-12 04:30 PM
    If they want me to give up my 64g PlayBook for a 32g device it had better have a lot must have options.
    08-02-12 07:45 PM
    "Simply purchase a Micro SIM card and data plan from your wireless service provider, and whether you’re in the park, around town, or on the beach, you’ll be able to stay connected wherever you have mobile coverage*."

So where is the Micro SIM slot?
    08-02-12 08:18 PM
    "Simply purchase a Micro SIM card and data plan from your wireless service provider, and whether you�re in the park, around town, or on the beach, you�ll be able to stay connected wherever you have mobile coverage*."

So where is the Micro SIM slot?
    You know where the three ports are at the bottom?

Apparently there.
    08-02-12 08:33 PM
    I'm sure it was strategically chosen to lower the cost of the tablet. Since its quite competitive RIM must think the price will lure people to their tablet.
    08-02-12 08:34 PM
    I haven't looked at it yet. So I'm sure I will get flamed, but, can you use an add-on memory card like the phones?
    08-02-12 09:41 PM
    RIM has said that 16GB versions are over and done with. I've no idea why they haven't canned the 32GB and just stuck with 64GB -- or introduce a 128GB. (Cue the "Golly, what would anyone do with 128GB?" Luddites.)
    Could be that Apple already bought all the 64GB flash out there, so there's just 32GB left in enough volume for them. Most smartphones top out at 16GB.
    08-03-12 12:24 AM
    Could it be that memory chips are not free?
    08-13-12 07:07 PM
    They likely had a price point set, and when it hit $500+, they felt that they couldn't offer a 16GB option at that level. The price between 16 & 32 GB memory chips is not the difference you see in an iPad 16/32 or even Playbook 16/32.
    08-13-12 07:21 PM
    all the competing 7 inch tablets have 32 gb only
    if you are connected the whole day, you can store in the clouds

easier to have one tablet to store than 3
    08-13-12 08:07 PM
    For that $550 price tag, RIM should of maxxed out the storage and went with the 64GB instead of the 32GB or even better introduced 128GB.
    08-13-12 08:25 PM
    32gb probably sells the most by far
    08-13-12 08:31 PM
    I thought I had seen there were going to be 32GB and 64GB versions, no more 16GB.
    08-13-12 09:35 PM
    I thought I had seen there were going to be 32GB and 64GB versions, no more 16GB.
    That's more logical because 16GB wouldn't be enough to most people, 64GB would be the better option IMO.
    08-14-12 01:27 AM
    32Gb because everything is gonna go in the cloud very soon..
    08-14-12 01:38 AM
    RIM does everything with a purpose behind it. I think they just came out with a 32GB 4GLTE Playbook with no real significant changes, just so BlackBerry is up to speed with other tablets and to just satisfy the need for its users. Only putting out a 32GB Playbook, which is satisfactory till BB10 hits. So when BB10 arrives, they will have a BB10 Playbook to go along with BB10 phones. RIM has to put out their BEST quality products so people are AMAZED!!!
    08-14-12 02:31 AM
    That's why phones come with 16gb+ onboard now right...
    08-14-12 02:42 PM
    I think this is a big reason, as well as keeping a certain price-point. Given the PB's horrible file/picture management, cloud services like Picasa would be a nice alternative for someone with an always-on 3G/4G connection.
    08-14-12 03:42 PM
    yaytoast - The good thing of the RIM NOC and data services is that it gives unlimited Internet at a very low price point as compared to getting 3G/4G on other platforms. This is because of the data shrinkage or something that RIM does.. 1:8 or something of that sort..

I'm not 100% on this.. However, if this is true.. then RIM expects everything to go online and very little data on the PlayBook.

+ I can understand Apple trying to make everyone feel as though we need 100+ GB storage on devices because even regular apps are getting 200-300 mb in size- Which pure foolish.. Just to support the Retina stuff.. PlayBooks display is Retina enough for me.. 32GB is a lot of data storage.. I'm saying that even though I never have more than 1-2GB left empty on my PlayBook..

Movies - RIM native video service. -online based
    Music - RIM native music service - online based
    PIM - RIM native messaging service - online based
    Pictures - Something like Picasa you mentioned - online based
    Backup - Cloud like protect stuff - online based
    Applications - HOPE - One day they run from the cloud which I read that QNX is capable of doing! - ONLINE BASED!!!!! This is sort of true if Flash is developed more - Like say you have Kobo Flash version website..

And then.. DO NOT FORGET - BB10 is just around the corner.. BB10 will be 8/16/32 GB and maybe or maybe not with additional support.. So that's PlayBook 32GB + BB10 32 GB + Cloud storage and Online services + WiFi Network access + God alone knows what..

Wow.. I wish for a 128GB PlayBook.. But then I wish for a ferrari a lambo and a rolls..
    Last edited by varunsain; 08-16-12 at 01:05 AM.
    08-16-12 01:01 AM
    You know what would solve all this storage capacity "problem"? If RIM would only support USB on the go. Then people would have the other option to carry around a flash drive with all their other media files if they run out of space on the onboard memory which I myself wouldn't mind carrying around with me along with my Playbook.
    08-16-12 01:25 AM
    Last I read somewhere, PlayBook has USB OTG but drivers missing or something.. I believe USB OTG is a hardware based thing..
    08-16-12 02:21 AM
    Last I read somewhere, PlayBook has USB OTG but drivers missing or something.. I believe USB OTG is a hardware based thing..
    How to connect a USB flash drive (pen drive) to your BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com

If you read here, it's already been possible so I don't think the problem is with the drivers but with RIM's decision to not enable the feature as of now. Hopefully they will soon but I won't hold my breath waiting for it.
    08-16-12 03:35 AM
    Why 32GB? It is based on Business Risk Management → for introducing a not so popular device with a few hardware improvements but having exactly the same physical appearance and no drastic improvement in OS...

RIM's objective is to maximize its resources and salvage whatever they can on their unsold inventories specifically those who are still in production and convert them into a marginal profit... "16GB" is not enticing... "64BG" is costly if it will not sell well, as its predecessor wifi-version... so �32GB� is the (less) risk manageable approach...

With this approach, regardless the PB 4G sell or not, RIM can still have enough resources to pursue the completion and release of BB10...

(Remember those investment bankers at J.P. Morgan and RBC Capital Markets )
    08-16-12 05:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD