is the OS 2.0 slick or what? man just imagine once the TAT stuff is all installed. then we can prudly say RIP apple and android DD
    10-18-11 06:02 PM
    You're joking right ?

There's hardly any differences between it and the previous OS apart from a few layout changes . . .
    wordy likes this.
    10-18-11 06:04 PM
    Is it not good then? I'm buying a playbook tomorrow, first time user here.

no ipad 2 for me!
    10-18-11 06:06 PM
    well yea you are right but looking into RIM's past, what we got as a taste of the new OS is itself a big thing lol
    10-18-11 06:06 PM
    this device is awesome and has more potential than any tablet out there. All Apple is good at is MARKETING :|
    10-18-11 06:07 PM
    this device is awesome and has more potential than any tablet out there. All Apple is good at is MARKETING :|
    Potential is wasted if not put to good use. Apple knows how to market; it's working out pretty well for them. RIM might make a good potential device, but until it can effectively utilize all its potential AND market efficiently, the tablet can't advance to where we know it can go.
    10-18-11 06:10 PM
    Someone is always ready to **** in your cornflakes for you in this forum.
    Last edited by papped; 10-18-11 at 06:17 PM.
    10-18-11 06:13 PM
    Someone is always read to **** in your cornflakes for you in this forum.
    Couldnt agree more! Ive started blocking every poster thats whining and complaining. Unfortunately that means i still have read the ******** and moaning, but only once per poster at least.

Mike
    10-18-11 06:16 PM
    Ummmmm. No..... Apple is admittedly good at marketing, but it also produces products that work smoothly and do what they're designed to do.

RIM is crap at marketing, crap at PR, and it produces products that almost are good enough.
    eanjr1964 likes this.
    10-18-11 06:17 PM
    Ummmmm. No..... Apple is admittedly good at marketing, but it also produces products that work smoothly and do what they're designed to do.

RIM is crap at marketing, crap at PR, and it produces products that almost are good enough.
    I dont think I made my self clear what potential really means. I was talking about non restrictive platform for users, multiple and easy developing environment for developers, better monetization model for devs and most secure tablet in the market and come on RIM is the one who labelled what smartphones are. Just because APPLE makes software which yells at you aka siri does not mean nothing
    10-18-11 06:25 PM
    i dont think you guys understand that RIM is trying to make a perfect device here. Apple too made a knock off technology called siri. its was just an App. what revolutionary technology do u see in iphone 4s and i would bet my life that no one can break the technology that rim has built with security. it take 5 min on the net to jail break and play with any apple products. its just not the fancy UI that matters. once everything rim has planned comes to place, u will see!!
    10-18-11 07:01 PM
    i dont think you guys understand that RIM is trying to make a perfect device here.
    Wow, if that is trying for perfection, I would be interested to see how things go when they try to fail�

Trying doesn't matter. Results matter.
    10-18-11 07:16 PM
    Trying for perfection!!! LMAO They are trying just to get something out the door close to the competition.
    My Playbook still does not have the complicated things like email, bluetooth, and spell check.
    10-18-11 07:21 PM
    Trying for perfection!!! LMAO They are trying just to get something out the door close to the competition.
    My Playbook still does not have the complicated things like email, bluetooth, and spell check.
    Yours doesn't have bluetooth? Are you sure bought a Playbook because mine came with a bluetooth chip from day one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 07:32 PM
    I'm starting to get a little frustrated myself. I've had my PB for over a couple of months now and there is still so much missing, software-wise. It seems that RIM is long on promises and short on results indeed...
    Oil-Country1 likes this.
    10-18-11 07:33 PM
    under browser settings in the "content" section, i see "reader mode". not 100% sure but there's a new icon in top right of browser that shows more of a straight reading view of the site you are on.
    10-18-11 07:36 PM
    In response to bobcat. I agree however I do see a light at the end of the tunnel. OS 2 might not be here but we have at least seen that it is being worked on and quite a bit. Every change in 2.0 might look a bit ugly like the dock and the big gray boxes under the windows but it all improves the practicality of the playbook. I really do hope ik right in saying os2 will bring the playbook with biting distance of the iPad.

Edit: Can anyone confirm what reader mode is?
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 10-18-11 at 07:50 PM.
    10-18-11 07:42 PM
    From the UI perspective (ignoring keyboard etc etc)

Good:
    Nice that they allow us to merge apps into a folder (that we can name) and I really like that those folders can be placed in our 6 banner apps locations for quick easy access. Truly a bonus from my perspective.

I kept moving apps into different windows and it appears you can just keep going with how many windows you want to maintain (I stopped at 10, I suspect is stops at some multiple of 2, like 16, 32...). Imagine if we could have windows within those merged folders...holy cr@p I'd never find anything!

Transitioning between apps seems to "slide/bump" different, not sure if it's good or bad...

====================
    Not-so-good:
    I wish the individual windows could be named. We liked the selections they gave us up to 1.07, we just wanted a way to add our own (to manage/group our apps). Now we can add our own, but there's no name for the windows. I am finicky.

Why is it they cant LOOP the darn windows. If I am on far right window, why do I need to scroll all the way left to start from that side. Why not LOOP the fricken thing! "It's one more. Where can you go...no where"

I think they "over-sized" the apps window. I liked it when they were smaller and you could figure out what was to left and right of the centered one. Little less real estate to see that now. Suggestion: Put the apps icon on the lower left and lower right (X still there) of the minimized window and I'll be happy.

Is it me, or are the keyboard letters actually narrower in height. Spell check!! Still can't organize my web links like I want either (wheres my named folder for bookmarks!!!). Oops, was suppose to be a UI only review. I was on a roll, sorry.

====================
    This is going to take time getting use to, but I like this BETA from a UI perspective. Hope to see more in the coming days that give me WOW factor but for now I'm just happy DEVCON is here.

Side Note: Thanks to any RIM employees for your hard work, your dedication to see your projects through to completion. It's been a tough year with RIM putting up with negative publicity media spin doctors, RIM Haters etc.
    10-18-11 07:43 PM
    From the UI perspective (ignoring keyboard etc etc)

Good:
    Nice that they allow us to merge apps into a folder (that we can name) and I really like that those folders can be placed in our 6 banner apps locations for quick easy access. Truly a bonus from my perspective.

I kept moving apps into different windows and it appears you can just keep going with how many windows you want to maintain (I stopped at 10, I suspect is stops at some multiple of 2, like 16, 32...). Imagine if we could have windows within those merged folders...holy cr@p I'd never find anything!

Transitioning between apps seems to "slide/bump" different, not sure if it's good or bad...

====================
    Not-so-good:
    I wish the individual windows could be named. We liked the selections they gave us up to 1.07, we just wanted a way to add our own (to manage/group our apps). Now we can add our own, but there's no name for the windows. I am finicky.

Why is it they cant LOOP the darn windows. If I am on far right window, why do I need to scroll all the way left to start from that side. Why not LOOP the fricken thing! "It's one more. Where can you go...no where"

I think they "over-sized" the apps window. I liked it when they were smaller and you could figure out what was to left and right of the centered one. Little less real estate to see that now. Suggestion: Put the apps icon on the lower left and lower right (X still there) of the minimized window and I'll be happy.

Is it me, or are the keyboard letters actually narrower in height. Spell check!! Still can't organize my web links like I want either (wheres my named folder for bookmarks!!!). Oops, was suppose to be a UI only review. I was on a roll, sorry.

====================
    This is going to take time getting use to, but I like this BETA from a UI perspective. Hope to see more in the coming days that give me WOW factor but for now I'm just happy DEVCON is here.

Side Note: Thanks to any RIM employees for your hard work, your dedication to see your projects through to completion. It's been a tough year with RIM putting up with negative publicity media spin doctors, RIM Haters etc.
    I hate when the screens "loop". Its like when you get "wrap" in brick breaker.
    ekafara likes this.
    10-18-11 07:51 PM
    Yours doesn't have bluetooth? Are you sure bought a Playbook because mine came with a bluetooth chip from day one.

Is that right, then you show me how to connect my bluetooth headset that will not connect from day one. I know this must be a new technology to Rim but really. Lol
    10-18-11 07:53 PM
    never fear. in two years we will have a fully functional, albeit antiquated, tablet.

maybe......

the potential is there
    Remember the Storm 1 and the Storm 2 I have all the confidence Rim will require it out!
    10-18-11 07:56 PM
    Is that right, then you show me how to connect my bluetooth headset that will not connect from day one. I know this must be a new technology to Rim but really. Lol
    I can connect my phone, a keyboard, and mouse through bluetooth so I'm guessing it is there. Sorry don't own bluetooth headphones so I can't test them, but again bluetooth is there

black hole likes this.
    10-18-11 07:58 PM
    Pol�ly�an�na *(pl-n)
    n.
    A person regarded as being foolishly or blindly optimistic
    If you think there is no hope with RIM, I think its a better idea to switch to a platform where you get what you need. But the fact is, neither android nor apple has given such a rich platform to grow than RIM. You think for a company that pioneered in email are not capable of making a simple native app for playbook. You need to think why they are not hurrying it up!!
    10-18-11 08:01 PM
    I think some people here are looking at whats immediately in front of them which is fine since they obviously dont know what lies underneath.
    BBX is more about what lies underneath the hood, allowing developers to easily create apps and a rich user experience for the Playbook.
    Yeah the UI might be slightly tweaked or whatever but I really want to see some of these amazing apps that were demoed.
    How friggin awesome to be able to use the Playbook as a real work tool!
    10-18-11 08:01 PM
    I love my playbook. I have had it for about a month now but something that is pretty upsetting is the lack of email and spellchecker. i mean blackberry is business and how is business supposed to get done without these items. I understand apps will come and blackberry is making progress there, but email should not take this long to be rolled out onto a product where the company is fighting to stay relevant.
    10-18-11 08:03 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD