I just got my hdmi cable as well. When I hook it up to my tv, my PB starts to go haywire.

It started to open up some apps on its own, unable to tap on icons, unable to scroll between menus. It all happens when I am trying to play a movie on the native video player. It seems like the PB is mal-functioning.

Does the PB has a standard ver of hdmi cable it can use? Or any one will do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-11 08:52 AM
    Does anyone know if the HDMI socket is two way?

In other words, can I plug my Canon 7d into the HDMI via a cable and see my photo's?

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work. AFAIK, the Playbook's HDMI is an "output port" (for lack of a better word) and not an "input port"...

Meanwhile, people who're thinking of ordering from Monoprice, I have ordered from there also and have no complaints, however, I believe this deal is cheaper than Monoprice:

This one is handy if you have limited HDMI ports on your display, you simply disconnect the connected device & use this plug to connect a standard cable with your PB ($4.89): HDMI Micro Male to HDMI Female Adapter/Converter - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

This is a full, Micro HDMI to HDMI cable ($4.30): Micro HDMI V1.4 Male to HDMI Male Connection Cable (1.5M-Length) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    And "Ferrite Cores" are those "knot" kind of things on both ends of the cables just before the plugs, they help reduce interference, etc.

So you get BOTH things for <$10. Better deal than monoprice I think. However, don't hold your breath in having it delivered quickly... I think mine took about 3 weeks but I'm totally happy with the items!
    jrmgolem and mtnsrgr8 like this.
    08-08-11 08:20 AM
    Finally someone attempted to answer my question!

I have to say that I believe that no-one knows the real answer, anyway, I have applied to join Canon's developers forum and will wait for tje full SDK for Playbook and attempt to sort this out myself.

If anyone else would like to help me out, it would be most appreciated.

Julian
    08-08-11 04:54 PM
    I already had a 15ft HDMI cable so i bought a Micro HDMI to HDMI adapter off eBay. I can hardly wait for it to show up.

Mike
    08-08-11 05:25 PM
    I bought a cable from a seller on amazon.com, can't remember the name right now, the cable connector wiggles and the signal gets lost. I didn't get too mad because I won't be using it for presentations, just for watching videos on my TV.

The cable was pitched to the LG Optimus 2, it is 10" and the seller claims that it works with the Playbook (it is a type D after all)... if you come across it, stay away from it. Does not have a firm fit.
    dampap likes this.
    08-08-11 05:55 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook 32 in my work space.

It's connected to my Dell 24" LCD. Great with VEVO (& many more).

The PlayBook 32's in a OtterBox Defender case. It's mounted on a Manfrotto Magic Arm with a Super Clamp.

This is a temporary setup. The idea to test the Magic arm setup just hit me.

I much prefer this 'high' position vs using the OtterBox stand.

I'm lookin' forward to creating proper wall mount later.

Just thought I'd share
    08-08-11 07:40 PM
    ^nice!

S
    08-09-11 09:32 AM
    I love it on mine too. Looks better than my Sony BluRay. Now if the new 9930 had a microHDMI port.................mmmmmmm.
    08-09-11 09:37 AM
    I love using my hdmi port to watch youtube videos on my t.v.

The first day i got the cord the playbook wont recorgnize it. After a day of frustration i just switched the port i was using and bamb everything worked great.
    08-09-11 10:47 AM
    Just tried, works really well.
    08-14-11 07:53 PM
    Great set up pics.

I ordered four more cables more from monoprice. Two for the rest in the house, one for my Girl and one for my Parent's house.

Everyone is loving my PlayBook!
    08-14-11 08:52 PM
    Need to wait a couple more months before HDMI (and microHDMI or miniHMDI) become a standard for most gadgets/devices, and people will finally realize the true useful of it.

For me, I already said in most posts, microHDMI is my best 'buy' of the year
    08-14-11 11:06 PM
    Works great with Amazon Prime videos! Was watching Top Gear (BBC car show) last night.

Paid too much for my cable at walmart, but oh well. It is a good one.
    08-15-11 12:00 AM
    i paid 5$ for a generic cable with shipping and it runs my 1080p recording beautifully on a 52” LCD

Such a powerful device
    08-15-11 08:29 AM
    My microHDMI cable came in the mail over the weekend. Being able to watch the videos I've recorded on a big screen TV is pretty awesome.
    08-15-11 01:20 PM
    I love using my hdmi port to watch youtube videos on my t.v.

The first day i got the cord the playbook wont recorgnize it. After a day of frustration i just switched the port i was using and bamb everything worked great.
    Nice Carmines... and are you watching Grind Time Now? haha.
    08-15-11 01:22 PM
    Yup great HD Video from my PB to my 1080p TV via HDMi.

Shame that all it does. Would have been nice to be able to use the PB as a monitor for external devices as well, like my camera.
    08-15-11 03:25 PM
    I finally got 720p copies of recent releases (I could get 1080p but the amount of Videos I have, I will need 128GB PlayBook) and I can't believe how amazing it looks.

This weekend, my family/friends are very impressed with the PlayBook.

We've been watching...all 720p.

Transformers Dark of Moon
    Fast Five
    Scream 4
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-08-11 07:29 PM
    I just got a 6 foot micro HDMI by Rocketfish at Best Buy. I just watched Transformers Dark of the Moon in my video library on Amazon on a 40 inch Samsung HDTV.
    10-08-11 08:15 PM
    I have a 6 foot micro HDMI cable from Best Buy too (could be Rocketfish) and used it for the first time today. The demo movie was awesome, so crystal clear on my 46" Sony. Even my photos looked great on the TV. I have 3 Pirates of the Carribean movies loaded on my PlayBook and when I played them, they seemed a little choppy, not as smooth as the demo movie.

What are everyone else's experience?
    10-08-11 08:31 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD