Recently purchased the ICON Carbon Click Black flip case for my Playbook from FutureShop (also available at BestBuy; in the USA Amazon.com)

ICON Products - Video Game Accessories

I'm lovin' this case, for the following reasons:

1. Affordable - less than $ 40.00. Great value for the dollar.
    2. Very slim and sleek - adds virtually no bulk to my Playbook, still fits in my coat pocket, but provides complete protection.
    3. Flips into a stand with multiple angle positions.
    4. Materials and build are qood quality, quite attractive.
    5. No obstruction of bezel for unimpeded swiping, all ports, buttons and cameras 100% accessible all orientations.
    6. Can reverse the PB to leave it in the case standing up, with HDMI port accessible.
    7. Easy to slide the PB in/out of case, but there is no need - because I can put the PB in the rapid charger stand with the case still on (just fold it backwards). Nice! Haven't seen any other case yet that can do that.

8. Can also flip the PB upside down in the case, so when using it as a stand, both the power and HDMI ports are available. Thus you can use this case to hold the PB in vertical position for easy access and watch movies/play games on a big screen for hours without running down the battery. Too bad the rapid charger base won't work this way, but this isn't bad.

------------------
    EDIT - 01/16/2012

Looks like the original manufacturer referenced above is no longer selling this case - bummer!

But the good news is that other manufacturers appear to have jumped on the bandwagon and are now selling virtually identical cases. here is a link to an image of one case:

i-CON by ASD BlackBerry PlayBook Carbon Click Book (ASD322) : Tablet Cases & Skins - Future Shop

However it is currently out of stock...
    Last edited by asherwiin; 01-16-12 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Updated information
    05-05-11 12:26 PM
    Agreed, it's a great case. The best one Ive found by far. I found a link on their site saying coming soon in leather as well. Sent them an email asking about a release date just waiting on a reply from them.

EDIT: Quick video review I threw together here:
    05-05-11 12:36 PM
    Looks like the covertable case from RIM. I love mine, but this looks great too.
    05-05-11 12:54 PM
    Looks like the covertable case from RIM. I love mine, but this looks great too.
    I tried the OEM convertible case as well, and this one is much more versatile than that.

I'll do up a video in a few hours showing what it can do.
    05-05-11 01:11 PM
    does this case has some kind magnetic lock on the cover?
    05-05-11 01:13 PM
    I saw this case on the companies website and someone else here on Crackberry mentioned it. I would love to get it but Amazon does not carry this case. I am not planning a trip to Detriot anytime soon otherwise I would drive accross to Windsor and pick one up at FutureShop.

Shao128, please post a video, that would be great to see.
    05-05-11 01:19 PM
    I looked at this case but ended up going with the RIM convertible case. For one thing I like how the RIM convertible case completely protects the edges of the PlayBook so if I do stick it in my pocket or what not there is not potential for the edges to get marked up. Secondly, and more importantly, when I looked at this carbon case there was no opening for the front camera?!? I could be wrong, because I didn't spend too much time reviewing it, but that was a definite deal breaker and as such I went with the RIM convertible case.

I love the RIM convertible case, but it obviously doesn't feel as nice as holding the playbook with no case at all. Small sacrifice to keep it protected and the ability to have it stand up on your desk or lap is a great feature that I can't do without now that I've used it that way.
    05-05-11 01:27 PM
    Anyone know which case is "slimmer"? (Icon or RIM Convertible)

I'd like to get a case that doesn't increase the size of the PB significantly.
    05-05-11 01:36 PM
    does this case has some kind magnetic lock on the cover?
    No magnetic snap, but two hooks or claws attached to the front cover that slip over the side of the PB when you close the cover, and do a great job of holding the cover tight. Works as good if not better than a magnetic closure.
    05-05-11 01:47 PM
    Anyone know which case is "slimmer"? (Icon or RIM Convertible)

I'd like to get a case that doesn't increase the size of the PB significantly.
    Pretty sure the ICON is much slimmer than the Convertible, but don't have a oner to do a direct comparison. From a dimension perspective, the PB is about 1 cm thick, with the ICON on the total thickness is approximately 1.75 cm (closed). Not bulky at all.
    parps likes this.
    05-05-11 01:52 PM
    This looks pretty nice. I'm trying to decide between this and the OEM leather journal case. I am not even considering the convertible case as it's kinda thick and I hear the leather is not the best quality.

Thoughts between the OEM journal case and this Icon carbon case?
    05-05-11 01:54 PM
    I looked at this case but ended up going with the RIM convertible case. For one thing I like how the RIM convertible case completely protects the edges of the PlayBook so if I do stick it in my pocket or what not there is not potential for the edges to get marked up. Secondly, and more importantly, when I looked at this carbon case there was no opening for the front camera?!? I could be wrong, because I didn't spend too much time reviewing it, but that was a definite deal breaker and as such I went with the RIM convertible case.

I love the RIM convertible case, but it obviously doesn't feel as nice as holding the playbook with no case at all. Small sacrifice to keep it protected and the ability to have it stand up on your desk or lap is a great feature that I can't do without now that I've used it that way.
    The RIM Convertible is also a very good case, no question.

I just wonder when you would ever use the front camera with the cover closed?? For video chat, would you not want to be looking at the screen to see the other person? And the ICON has an opening for the rear camera, which is the higher resolution camera for taking pictures - although without looking at the screen, you wouldn't know what you were shooting...
    05-05-11 01:56 PM
    I tried the OEM convertible case as well, and this one is much more versatile than that.

I'll do up a video in a few hours showing what it can do.
    Awesome - saves me the hassle, given that I started this thread...
    05-05-11 01:57 PM
    I saw this case on the companies website and someone else here on Crackberry mentioned it. I would love to get it but Amazon does not carry this case. I am not planning a trip to Detriot anytime soon otherwise I would drive accross to Windsor and pick one up at FutureShop.

Shao128, please post a video, that would be great to see.
    You can order it online from FutureShop, I'm sure that they would deliver it to you in the States:

Icon BlackBerry PlayBook Carbon Click Book (ASD322) : Tablet Cases & Skins - Future Shop

Course with the weak US dollar these days, its gonna cost you more than $ 39.99...
    Last edited by asherwiin; 05-05-11 at 02:27 PM.
    05-05-11 02:24 PM
    the icon is excellent and also that it fits perfectly inside the bb zip sleeve for complete protection!
    Berryuman likes this.
    05-05-11 02:37 PM
    i returned my icon case for convertible...i thought the icon case looked cheap
    i didnt like the carbon look..

the convertible i find is thinner and i like how it covers the whole playbook like someone mentioned. i also got it for $26
    05-05-11 03:25 PM
    Great product! I just bought it today. I'll do a video review tonight and post it up on here. Stay tuned!
    05-05-11 03:31 PM
    The RIM Convertible is also a very good case, no question.

I just wonder when you would ever use the front camera with the cover closed?? For video chat, would you not want to be looking at the screen to see the other person? And the ICON has an opening for the rear camera, which is the higher resolution camera for taking pictures - although without looking at the screen, you wouldn't know what you were shooting...
    Sorry, I meant the rear camera. I never saw an opening on the carbon one, but like I said, I wasn't 100% sure on that.
    05-05-11 03:59 PM
    i returned my icon case for convertible...i thought the icon case looked cheap
    i didnt like the carbon look..

the convertible i find is thinner and i like how it covers the whole playbook like someone mentioned. i also got it for $26
    Ya, I agree with this.

I compared the size and without breaking out a caliper and felt there was no difference.

And as for the journal vs the convertible comment, like I said earlier, the ability to stand up the playbook is a great feature that once you have it you won't be able to go without it. As far as I know the journal case doesn't do this and it is a feature worth having.
    05-05-11 04:01 PM
    Using the buttons on the convertible case is almost impossible. The convertible case was useless to me. I returned the convertible case and got the icon case. I love how the icon case makes charging and use of buttons so easy.
    05-05-11 04:05 PM
    Here is my review on the convertible case. Just watch how hard it is to press the buttons at the top.

snackberry26, peterco and hp0369 like this.
    05-05-11 04:06 PM
    Using the buttons on the convertible case is almost impossible. The convertible case was useless to me. I returned the convertible case and got the icon case. I love how the icon case makes charging and use of buttons so easy.
    Tonight I think I'm gonna take an exacto to the buttons on the convertible case and slice them off, they're horribly useless and in the way. And will most likely break the buttons on a playbook.
    05-05-11 04:08 PM
    I will have to try this one out. I have the Blackberry convertible and I think it is terrific, BUT it is close to impossible to press the power button to put the PB to sleep. I find myself "lifting" the lip and pressing the power button, and that's just not going to work long term...
    05-05-11 04:11 PM
    The design of the Icon case turned me off - it seemed like the device could fall out easily. Is it pretty secure in there? I might check this one out. I have used the BlackBerry convertible case and didin't like it, and the Targus Truss is a bit too bulky (but is a very nice case otherwise).
    05-05-11 04:19 PM
    Here are some pictures I took from my Icon Carbon Black case that shows it closed, open and how the ports are not covered by the case.

05-05-11 04:29 PM
231 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD