Replying to the title:

- Yes, it�s true. Most of the new apps are books ^^

But it happens with every platform! Every app that does whatever can be in PlayStore ^^

Playbook has only less quantity...
    10-14-12 06:48 AM
    I try and find a simple Notes app and what crap pops up, I don't need 100 note apps. DROID
    This NOTES app works for my simple needs...it is free.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...h=true&lang=en
    10-14-12 07:11 AM
    I have downloaded many apps that don't work and many that are just stupid. What happened to Quality of Quantity RIM??? I thought that I would like the Increases but turns out its a bunch of crap, reminds me of the Android Market, Wait a min lol. I try and find a simple Notes app and what crap pops up, I don't need 100 note apps. RIM pick the 10 best of one kind and release those and keep it simple. I don't know why Apps are what holds share in a market. My 2 favorite OS's is BlackBerry and Nokia Symbian the 2 OS's that have the least amount of apps lol. I hope that BB10 has no Android Player, We want QUALITY not DROID
    I think this is about to change. Check this official RIM App World Vendor Guidelines page and the link to the vetting process document. The document details such things as usefulness and duplication:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/isvportal/guidelines.do
    10-15-12 12:34 AM
    Best part is if you don't like an app, for any reason delete and move on to something better,matter of choice.
    How does that fix the problem. One you waste time, money, and bandwidth on a useless app. Two (this is the worst) they bloat the market making it harder to find good apps. It's similar to what happens when you search for an image on Google. There has been a major increase on stock photo sites that try to sell photos. Majority of the first 1-10 pages are useless pictures with watermarks. At least you can sort them out by adding a short/long line of words, unlike any other app store except reading reviews don't really help when it comes to the App World.
    10-15-12 01:15 AM
    I think this is about to change. Check this official RIM App World Vendor Guidelines page and the link to the vetting process document. The document details such things as usefulness and duplication:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/isvportal/guidelines.do
    "Apps that cost a ridiculously high amount and provide no functionality will be denied"

That seems to be the only direct reference to usefulness in the vetting document. Am I missing something?
    10-15-12 01:32 AM
    There's a couple of ways to look at this. Many of the apps in App World are from new developers (or students), and maybe they do duplicate functionality from other programs, but the point is these developers are LEARNING (btw, I'm in that category myself). There are others who have a sense of mischief and a warped sense of humor (hence the fart apps--and remember that had there been no market for them on the iPhone, nobody would have bothered).

There are two things worth looking forward to with BB10: first, RIM is starting to hit a respectable number when it comes to apps, and they can now afford to be a little pickier with their evaluation process (note to devs: they're evaluating for free right now--that is bound to change); overall quality SHOULD increase.

Two, I'm not nuts about navigation in the current PlayBook App World, but the demo of the BB10 store looks very promising. It looks like there will be more sophisticated filtering available to users.
    10-15-12 02:31 AM
    Just a quick comment or two.

Who is to judge what is useful? And unless an app is a complete duplication of an existing app, there should be an open market to create similar apps where there are interface differences, additional functions or just quirky differences and allow folks to make a choice. But I am not sure how to judge some of these issues and also not drown out useful apps. Appworld needs a better SEARCH function so folks can find that they want. Hmm, maybe we can use Bing or Google or XXXX to search appworld!
    10-15-12 09:22 AM
    Oh have you been to the iTunes or Google Play app stores to compare?
    +1, both my kids have an ipod touch and the apps they download are completely hit or miss. This is a problem that is shared by all tablet/phones that utilize the free or almost free model for games and apps. Companies like RIM have to walk a fine line between quality control and pumping up their numbers to keep up with everybody else. Personally I think it is a bit more problematic in appworld since I find it to be poorly organized in the first place, but I normally just google "best xxx app for playbook" before I even bother to look. This normally gets me to one or more forum messages on the subject, and then I go from there.
    10-15-12 10:19 AM
    There should be a way to permanently remove an entry from the uninstalled history.[/QUOTE]
    ______

Sounds reasonable. I hope they pick up on that.
    10-17-12 12:27 AM
    each to their own I suppose. the op does have a point in some respect, for some of the paid apps do appear quite meager and underdeveloped in comparison with free varients on either android and ios. plus I don't think its right when apps are free on android, but a pb conversion costs, of which there are a few examples in appworld.

however the comment about removing android runtime, please speak for yourself. the ability to sideload tons of good quality android apps, and now have run natively in separate windows, is somewhat of a gamechanger. you can have your cake and eat it after all.
    I think that's a fair statement. Especially when it comes to the U.I.'s of some of the apps. While I am not a fan of paying a premium for Playbook's apps, I would still do it if more of them could compete better with apps performing similar functions from iOS/Android. I don't say it to knock developers, it's just that a lot of the apps simply aren't as good. That is why I find myself sideloading a lot of Android apps.

There may be repetition in the iTunes app store, but I don't see how it's a bad thing to have 3-4 really good options available for the same type of app. It leads to some great apps that constantly improve. There may be a lot of crap, but there are also way more gems and way more options.

Another glaring issue that has been mentioned is that App World is HORRIBLE if you have to actually search for apps. That doesn't help matters. I find info on apps through this forum generally, not through finding them on there.
    10-17-12 05:53 AM
    I check the AppWorld every day to see whats new as I am sure a lot of you do.

However, am I the only one that's noticed and huge drop in the quality of Apps coming in just over the past two weeks? Absolutely horrendous.

You know either try harder or don't bother at all. Just save us all the embarrassment.
    10-24-12 11:30 AM
    RIM has put devs in limbo again. They either have to make a pb version and a BB10 version (or so I have heard but it could be wrong) or just do a BB10 version which leaves the pb out until it gets BB10.
    10-24-12 11:50 AM
37 12