This is an alert for a Lost & Stolen Blackberry Playbook 16gb version with factory screen seal still attached inside its carrying pouch.

The Playbook was lost at ALDOs/and or Club Monaco on Robson Street in downtown Vancouver between 4:30pm ~5:00pm today, Dec. 22, 2011, with a green Y38 card inside its carrier pouch.
    It was dropped on a bench during shoe fitting.

Serial Number: 1343-8201-8453, 134382018453

The device purchased from Bestbuy online for $199, still have receipt.

This device was just registered at the Canadian Borders services today (Dec. 22, 2011) for Y-38 form for travelling purposes.

If you see any ads or sales for a Blackberry Playbook 16gb for sale, without box, or charger and with the following serial number, please do not buy it.

To the person who picked up a free Christmas present, please have the dignity to return to its rightful owner for a reward, or live with the guilt of knowing you are a thief.

Please PM if anyone has their hands on this device.
    Last edited by ctauto; 01-16-12 at 04:42 AM.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    12-22-11 10:57 PM
    sorry that this has to be your first post! I do wish you the best and hope the holiday spirit comes to whomever has it, and does the right thing, and gets it back to you. Its times like this, I really wish and hope that BlackBerry Protect comes to the PlayBook!
    12-22-11 11:17 PM
    Sorry to hear about this ctauto

Do you think it is a good idea to call RIM and register your PB regardless if you have not registered it yet? That way, RIM would have a record of your serial # that rightfully belongs to you. If the thief or buyers of stolen PB was one step ahead and had already registered, perhaps you can use your receipt to show to RIM that you are the legitimate owner.

My idea of registering with RIM is that future unrightful owners of your stolen playbook may have a harder time asking for customer service, hopefully, RIM will flag your serial #.. just a thought... I am not sure how effective it is to register with RIM.. may worth a try.....

Lets hope for a Christmas miracle for you that your PB will be found and returned to you intact
    12-22-11 11:18 PM
    Did you buy it on cc? You might be eligible for theft protection, try calling your cc company and ask if they can help you get reimbursed or get another device.
    Ric01 likes this.
    12-22-11 11:23 PM
    Did you buy it on cc? You might be eligible for theft protection, try calling your cc company and ask if they can help you get reimbursed or get another device.
    You have a good point spike12
    spike12 likes this.
    12-22-11 11:36 PM
    I am so sorry to hear this happened to you. Hoping someone will have guilt pangs and return it. Dishonest people totally p*** me off.
    JK-PhD likes this.
    12-22-11 11:49 PM
    Were the stores able to help you out any with their surveillance equipment?
    12-22-11 11:54 PM
    This makes me wonder what apps are available that can track a stolen PB and let you remotely "shred" files...
    If you password protect your PB and if you or somebody else key in the wrong password 10 times on the boot-up screen, it will trigger a security wipe. All your apps you paid for will be wiped as well but you can re-load your paid apps again using your PB ID
    12-22-11 11:58 PM
    That sux. It happened to me too. Had mine stolen at a restaurant in downtown Vancouver. Hopefully you have credit card insurance that covers it.
    12-23-11 12:02 AM
    Ouch, bad luck, I hope you get it back.
    12-23-11 01:30 AM
    To the OP, remember the words "situational awareness." It can save your life and it can prevent theft. Surely the stores have surveillance video to assist the police in identifying the sticky fingered culprit(s). At this time of year opportunistic criminals are prowling the malls. File a police report, contact Research In Motion, and hopefully you protected the tablet.
    12-23-11 02:31 AM
    Sorry that u have lost the PB. I take it you have done a physical return to the scenes as most people looking for one would have no clue of their size.
    I don't know if it had been activated yet, but if not upon first startup it goes looking for updates and the serial # etc get logged in to Blackberry. If they try and use app world or video chat they need BBID and if so I believe the serial is part of the unique info to distinguish the device.
    It is a bit intensive but the sysops should be able to sniff it if it goes onto the network for any kind of authentication.
    If you do get any assistance in that regard, a precise bracket of when lost will help them with any logs.

Wishing u the best in this regard.
    12-23-11 08:23 AM
    BestBuy.ca still has pb's for $199?
    12-23-11 08:57 AM
    If you password protect your PB and if you or somebody else key in the wrong password 10 times on the boot-up screen, it will trigger a security wipe. All your apps you paid for will be wiped as well but you can re-load your paid apps again using your PB ID
    Are you sure about the security wipe? I know this feature is available on the BB. But I could not find any doc stating so for the PB. Nor have I read on this forum that anyone has actually try this.
    12-23-11 12:38 PM
    i hope you can get it back, unlikely though it may seem, you never know!
    12-23-11 02:47 PM
    Thanks for everyone’s support and kind words! It is indeed a tough loss despite the sale price of the item. And, the timing is just way to impeccable! Ultimately, I have to say I am responsible for temporarily leaving it behind. These things are just too easy to leave behind, for someone like me, at least.

I was on the phone with RIM this morning and fortunately, I was still able to register the serial number. The unit has been identified as stolen. And, according to RIM, the unit has been blocked, now, I’m not exactly certain what this means, but I’m thinking it’s a block to all RIM services?

Finally, I have reported this stolen good with VPD and the serial number has been filed.

In terms of surveillance, the downtown Burrard Aldo was not equipped with cameras.

Thanks again for everyone’s support! Much appreciated. I'm hoping for the best!

Happy Holidays Everyone!
    12-23-11 08:05 PM
    If you had a password on the PlayBook, it would wipe itself after too many password attempts. After the wipe, it will connect to the update servers to ensure it had the latest software. At this point the block by Rim will prevent the playbook from connecting to the servers and completing the software update. The Playbook will be useless.

If you did not have a password on the Playbook, they will be able to use it until the next software update or until they do a security wipe on it.
    12-23-11 08:46 PM
    Are you sure about the security wipe? I know this feature is available on the BB. But I could not find any doc stating so for the PB. Nor have I read on this forum that anyone has actually try this.
    PB security wipe after 10 password fail attempts is being confirmed with RIM tech support.

RIM Tech support also confirmed that if your PB has been registered with RIM, it would be difficult for the thief or the buyer from the thief to call RIM for support of your stolen PB because RIM will ask for the PB serial # and the tech support will also ask other security questions like your email, address, date of purchase etc. Well, this is what I heard from RIM.. did anyone heard differently....

I have bought RIM's 2 year extended warranty and have the luxury to call RIM tech support to ask any questions as frequently as I needed to for the next 2 years. Without the extended warranty, every incident called into RIM support will cost $30 a pop
    Last edited by Ric01; 12-23-11 at 09:49 PM.
    12-23-11 09:47 PM

I have bought RIM's 2 year extended warranty and have the luxury to call RIM tech support to ask any questions as frequently as I needed to for the next 2 years. Without the extended warranty, every incident called into RIM support will cost $30 a pop
    Hey, there's a question about the accelerometer or whatever it may be called:

Someone's pb does not seem to react properly to tilting in Need For Speed. Maybe you could call and ask if it can be recalibrated - check out the thread - it was near this one!
    12-23-11 10:05 PM
    Hey, there's a question about the accelerometer or whatever it may be called:

Someone's pb does not seem to react properly to tilting in Need For Speed. Maybe you could call and ask if it can be recalibrated - check out the thread - it was near this one!
    Called RIM regarding my PB as well and they asked me to reboot, like you suggested. If it is a problem, I was told the app developer has to be involved.
    12-23-11 10:54 PM
    obviously its too late now but to all other PB owners:

you can add your PB to your house/tenant insurance as a floater which covers it with zero or really low deductible.

talk to whoever handles your insurance...I did and I pay 25 bucks year for 550 bucks coverage and no deductible.

just a thought.
    12-23-11 11:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD