So its January 29th today, the eve of the BB10 launch and I lose my PlayBook...

I forgot it in my class, I guess it got camouflaged with the black desk and the low lighting poor visibility and i missed it.

anyways I got settled in the study hall and took out my books only to find my PlayBook was nowhere in sight... so i rushed back to the classroom it must have been in and there was a lecture in session so i had to wait the hour and a half to get in as soon as the lecture was done and there was no playbook, i even met my teacher (who was lurking around the classroom on her laptop) if someone had mentioned it and she said nobody did and I also asked the professor from the lecture i got into at the end and he said nobody in his lecture had mentioned it to him either....

this really sucks since I have been a strong playbook supporter since the beginning (just check my posts): I bought it at full original price the launch year and have since gotten a PlayBook to each of my family members ...used it for all of my class slides and lecture notes and everything...

anyways I am still being hopeful someone helps me out and checks to find info they could use to contact me with

I have taken precautionary steps as in changed Facebook, twitter and other social apps passwords and have left only my least used email address intact on the playbook and i keep sending emails to it in hopes the person will read them and contact me back.
    any advice as to what else i should do?

also i am having my sister attempt video chat throughout the day although i always have my playbook on silent when in class so that might not be of much help.... and also the battery was at 40ish percent...

this is a time when Blackberry Protect WOULD HAVE BEEN AMAZING ON THE PLAYBOOK, if even through wifi......it could have been a simple update too... *sigh*

i was really excited with the eventual BB10 on PlayBook but now it looks like I will have to wait until i can spare enough saved money or wait until i get my better paying summer job or live the excitement vicariously through a family members playbook....

what other tips and advice do people who have lost their playbooks (and possibly gotten them back) have for someone in my situation??
    01-29-13 12:39 PM
    It sounds like you are doing/have done everything you can. So sorry for your loss, good luck!
    01-29-13 12:42 PM
    So its January 29th today, the eve of the BB10 launch and I lose my PlayBook...

I forgot it in my class, I guess it got camouflaged with the black desk and the low lighting poor visibility and i missed it.

anyways I got settled in the study hall and took out my books only to find my PlayBook was nowhere in sight... so i rushed back to the classroom it must have been in and there was a lecture in session so i had to wait the hour and a half to get in as soon as the lecture was done and there was no playbook, i even met my teacher (who was lurking around the classroom on her laptop) if someone had mentioned it and she said nobody did and I also asked the professor from the lecture i got into at the end and he said nobody in his lecture had mentioned it to him either....

this really sucks since I have been a strong playbook supporter since the beginning (just check my posts): I bought it at full original price the launch year and have since gotten a PlayBook to each of my family members ...used it for all of my class slides and lecture notes and everything...

anyways I am still being hopeful someone helps me out and checks to find info they could use to contact me with

I have taken precautionary steps as in changed Facebook, twitter and other social apps passwords and have left only my least used email address intact on the playbook and i keep sending emails to it in hopes the person will read them and contact me back.
    any advice as to what else i should do?

also i am having my sister attempt video chat throughout the day although i always have my playbook on silent when in class so that might not be of much help.... and also the battery was at 40ish percent...

this is a time when Blackberry Protect WOULD HAVE BEEN AMAZING ON THE PLAYBOOK, if even through wifi......it could have been a simple update too... *sigh*

i was really excited with the eventual BB10 on PlayBook but now it looks like I will have to wait until i can spare enough saved money or wait until i get my better paying summer job or live the excitement vicariously through a family members playbook....

what other tips and advice do people who have lost their playbooks (and possibly gotten them back) have for someone in my situation??
    Turn on your bridge function the next time you are in class....or as you walk around the dorms....your phone will find it and connect within, I believe 50 meters or so.....you might be able to narrow down it's location that way if it is still on campus
    01-29-13 12:44 PM
    Turn on your bridge function the next time you are in class....or as you walk around the dorms....your phone will find it and connect within, I believe 50 meters or so.....you might be able to narrow down it's location that way if it is still on campus
    Actually....it would have to be on your playbook too....so dang, yeah probably won't work
    01-29-13 12:46 PM
    That's a good call. But youre assuming that bluetooth is turned on, and unfortunately the range is much, much less than 50 meters. 40 feet tops
    01-29-13 12:48 PM
    That's pretty poor character on behalf of the person who has it. The playbook should have been taken to the prof right at the start of the class or the end - no excuses. Sometime you'll find things where it is almost impossible to get it to the original owner... but in this case, there's no excuse.

Sorry to hear that.

If and when you get a new playbook or your old one (hopefully) turn the password lock on ... that way when the screen turns off it locks which is a maximum of 5 minutes, or you can lock it manually...that way in the event of theft or something else people cannot access your information/emails/files.

Again, sorry to hear that you've lost the playbook.
    great advice, didn't think of that

Actually....it would have to be on your playbook too....so dang, yeah probably won't work
    yea but hopefully they turned on bluetooth! worth a try
    Definitely still worth a try
    That's pretty poor character on behalf of the person who has it. The playbook should have been taken to the prof right at the start of the class or the end - no excuses. Sometime you'll find things where it is almost impossible to get it to the original owner... but in this case, there's no excuse.

Sorry to hear that.

If and when you get a new playbook or your old one (hopefully) turn the password lock on ... that way when the screen turns off it locks which is a maximum of 5 minutes, or you can lock it manually...that way in the event of theft or something else people cannot access your information/emails/files.

Again, sorry to hear that you've lost the playbook.
    this exactly first thought after losing it.. turned password on my phone on too now...
    01-29-13 12:50 PM
    I would have interrupted the class and went in to get my PlayBook, forget that, professor would have to just be mad, because in the end they didn't hear anything and no one turned it in so that means someone in the class has it or someone in your class left after you and saw it and snaked you.
    I'm upset for ya and hope it turns up.
    Scotter75 and dgjackson40 like this.
    01-29-13 12:55 PM
    I wonder if you know the pin, can you do face chat to it?
    01-29-13 12:57 PM
    Call RIM they will flag your PIN so that when it next hooks up to the Internet it will security wipe and lock til it's back in your possession.
    01-29-13 01:13 PM
    Call RIM they will flag your PIN so that when it next hooks up to the Internet it will security wipe and lock til it's back in your possession.
    oh ok, good to know, ill call in a day or two, everything i need safe i changed passwords, but if it doesn't turn up, yea.
    01-29-13 01:20 PM
    I feel your pain. I just mislaid mine over the weekend and it hasn't turned up yet
    01-29-13 01:20 PM
    I was wrong - you set the duration of time before it locks when it goes into stand-by mode... from 0 seconds to 1 hour. (various increments)
    01-29-13 01:33 PM
    I feel your pain. I just mislaid mine over the weekend and it hasn't turned up yet
    "lost playbook" buddies?
    01-29-13 01:46 PM
    That sucks!!! I am so sorry that happened. I just acquired my playbook a few weeks ago. I would be livid. Thanks for making the point about BlackBerry Protect. I have felt the same way. Good luck with your next PB
    01-29-13 02:29 PM
    I have a business card taped onto the back of my PlayBook. At least there is a small chance I would get mine back if I lost it.
    01-29-13 02:46 PM
    if you have any friends with playbooks you can try to video chat with them and it will call up the playbook. if the guy answers you can talk him into giving it back.
    (we've all seen people do dumber things)
    01-29-13 03:26 PM
    Long shot
    Is there a contact that you had in video chat in the campus? Would he/she be willing to be with you and ring you in video chat. Then you would hear the call.
    01-29-13 03:37 PM
    To all those who asked me if I could videochat with it. I haven't been able to save far, it has always been offline, I am guessing the wifi is off but I have the PIN and blackberry live ID so I will keep trying.
    01-30-13 12:52 AM
    I feel sorry for the person who stole it. Don't worry. When the person starts using the Playbook he or she will give it back.
    01-30-13 10:54 AM
    Was on a cruise with my wife, when I left my PB on a table in one of the theaters. We went back, and it was still there - so beautifully-camoflagued with the black table-top.

Mine password-locks itself within minutes, so it would have been useless to a thief.
    01-30-13 12:29 PM
    Call BB up and i bet they could track it down for you by the imei gps does wonders sometimes.
    01-30-13 12:50 PM
    might soon the thing is it doesn't show as being online through video chat when added through PIN contact
    so i think its offline all the time.
    01-31-13 11:39 AM
29 12