sometimes when i plug in my PB(in standby mode), the screen turns back on, but doesnt show as charging, and after a while the battery does go down. But the thing is it does detect that i have plugged the charger in (screen turns on), so is this a sign that something is wrong with my playbook's charging port?thanks
    11-24-11 02:11 AM
    Maybe. I sometimes have to fiddle with the charging stand, which is dumb if you ask me for a 70usd product, to get it to charge. I don't think it has anything to do with the port itself, its just poorly designed.
    11-24-11 02:28 AM
    there is really no other way to impliment a standard micro usb charging port. lol, so can't really blame "design", rim simply had a micro usb port soldered to the main board during a manufacturing process, nothing wrong at all with it's design

mine feels loose too, but i am glad it is a little bit loose to be honest, because if it wasn't - i would have broken the port a long time ago

mine always charges though, so perhaps there is something malfunctioning for your hardware

perhaps return to the retailer and try another one, if there are any left, but first:

back it up, and then security wipe it, test charging when complete, just to be sure it isn't a software glitch

peace
    Last edited by buckwylder; 11-24-11 at 03:27 AM.
    11-24-11 03:24 AM
    or msybe you're talking about the magnetic charging port and not the standard usb charger? if so, my bad, lol

i think the playbook charging stand also uses the magnegic port, so perhaps it simply cannot be moved around while connected to the stand, i want one of those, hope they're not cheaply made, doubt it
    11-24-11 03:31 AM
    there is really no other way to impliment a standard micro usb charging port. lol, so can't really blame "design", rim simply had a micro usb port soldered to the main board during a manufacturing process, nothing wrong at all with it's design

mine feels loose too, but i am glad it is a little bit loose to be honest, because if it wasn't - i would have broken the port a long time ago

mine always charges though, so perhaps there is something malfunctioning for your hardware

perhaps return to the retailer and try another one, if there are any left, but first:

back it up, and then security wipe it, test charging when complete, just to be sure it isn't a software glitch

peace
    I wasn't talking about the usb port.
    11-24-11 03:41 AM
    It could be the charger end of the connector as well or both - it takes two connectors to make a connection the USB port is fragile and subject to strong torque from the cable - so getting the cradle is a good investment. If you're talking about usb its try a different charger like a phone charger - or the USB cable to your PC and see if it seats better, as a test to see which end it is...a new charger is cheaper than a new playbook.

sometimes dirt or oxidation causes problems in which case:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ms-try-652183/

Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-24-11 at 05:25 AM.
    11-24-11 05:22 AM
    I noticed that when I bought a new charger as a spare it fit nice and tight. My regular one wasn't loose, but if you look at the connector on the charger, it has little spring tabs that may just break in after a while.

I also use a generic micro USB cable for connecting to the computer and it has these little spring tabs, but they are not as robust as on the Blackberry cables and this cable wiggles the most.
    11-24-11 07:03 AM
    I do like the Rapid Charger (standalone, NOT the dock but based on the same principle). It connects with a magnet so the daily charge does not use the more fragile usb connector. I use wifi sharing generally for file movement and again, no usb cable. I use the usb only when necessary. Staples has had the rapid model for about $13.00 rather than the original almost $70.00
    11-24-11 10:41 AM
    sometimes when i plug in my PB(in standby mode), the screen turns back on, but doesnt show as charging, and after a while the battery does go down. But the thing is it does detect that i have plugged the charger in (screen turns on), so is this a sign that something is wrong with my playbook's charging port?thanks
    Sounds like you probably have one of the defective chargers, where one of the three little spring-loaded pins doesn't come up to the same level as the other two.

Many of us who've had that experienced similar issues, including having it charge for a while then stop, not start charging without a lot of fiddling (or reseating, in the case of the cradle/pod version), having it charge/not-charge/charge/not-charge intermittently for a long time, and having it say it was charging but not actually charge.

Battery Guru can help you troubleshoot such problems but, ultimately, many of us believe the chargers have a manufacturing defect (possibly caused by an inherently poor connector design, but it's sort of moot which is the cause unless you're an engineer at RIM). I was able to fix my cradle charger (required disassembly and a bit of soldering) while my magnetic rapid charger manages to function reliably in spite of having the pins not quite perfectly aligned. (It's a matter of degree, I believe.. if the one pin is far enough down it will be unreliable, and if farther down it simply doesn't work).
    11-24-11 02:32 PM
    The rapid charger is a must have if you are a frequent user as there is almost no wear and tear on the device. You can get them cheap now.
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-25-11 05:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD