I need to get new tablet, currently am using ipad2, was thinking about PB as i love my z10,(i moved from iPhone and am proud of this) but is there any chances BlackBerry are working on newer version tablet or this chapter is closed for this company? Any news on that? Sorry if i repeat similar thread! Thanks for comments

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 10:23 AM
    BBRY has stated they are done with the tablet space, HOWEVER they are now under new management so you never know. That being said you can probably get a PlayBook on the after market, used or refurbished for a very low cost. This is the route I would go. Yes it will work nicely with your Z10. The best feature is the ability to "bridge" the Z10 to the PB and use the Z10's imternet connection for web browsing and other things, it's a VERY handy feature!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-21-14 10:33 AM
    Honestly, I loved the playbook it was reliable, steady, and did the job nicely. From web surfing to watching the entire series (up to season 8) of SuperNatural and so on. It did me great the two years that I had it. My only issue was is that they stopped supporting it completely, other than that I would of kept it.

If you're looking for a good decent tablet that will stay up to date probably a Samsung Tab 3 or look at some of the cheaper brands. Playbook uses QNX OS 2.1 which is not the same as BB10. If the playbook would of gotten BB10 like they promised I would still own it.

Currently like the person above said, there is no current plans for a Tablet for BlackBerry. However if they did decide to give it another try, and it had Blackberry 10, I would sell my current one and switch in a second.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-21-14 10:41 AM
    Well that's helps a lot! Thanks for comments! I agree if they would release tablet with bb10 that would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 11:05 AM
    I have an ipad 3 for work and music but I own a playbook as well. I think the email and calendar apps are better on the playbook. Also it's nice to have a smaller tablet and just bridge it to my Q10. I guess it's all in preference.
    milo53 likes this.
    01-21-14 12:42 PM
    Pros: Quality hardware, awesome OS, great community
    Cons: Old design, not supported, no development, lots of stories in the forums of units failing

If you are not already in the Playbook world you would do better to look for something with a future.
    milo53 and kbz1960 like this.
    01-21-14 01:28 PM
    I have a playbook but it is 3 years old now and a bit slow, i would upgraded to a ipad mini with my Z10...but i also so have a note 2 so don't really use the ipad as i use to expect for netflix
    01-21-14 01:37 PM
    if you can get a brand new one cheap, (less than $150/US), go for it...
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-22-14 02:18 AM
    I still like my PB, as a non-gamer I don't care about the lack of apps.

However, it almost never gets used. Without full Bridge there is little to no use for myself. (Bridge to a BB10 is NOT the same as we had on the pre10 BlackBerry phones)
    If work is your primary need for a tablet, it may be perfect for you -check if the applications you need are available.

Still I think the size of a PB was perfect (for me) and the hardware quality was top notch. With TH out of the picture, I hope to see another tablet -just don't call it a PLAYbook (and fire the people who named it for incompetence)

Just my opinion.

CDN BB
    anon(7989140) likes this.
    01-23-14 02:04 PM
    Is IT possible to instal other os on IT? Like android?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 06:15 AM
    In a word, NO.
    milo53 likes this.
    01-24-14 12:37 PM
    +ve
    It has full screen 1080p hdmi out so is handy to carry round to friends house to watch films you want to share enjoyment of.
    It has bbm playbook video chat.
    You can use any BlackBerry phone as a remote control
    It has 64gb storage

Thats all pretty good So if you only want the above features perfect,

But theres a lot more other tablets do these days even if not above things - so generally no, but then how olds a playbook? And how many other tablets would you want that are 3+ years old?
    01-24-14 06:21 PM
    NO. Dont waste Your money on a (considered) dead device.
    01-24-14 09:33 PM
    I own one, but would not advise getting one.

Dead product, no updates, slow browser, zero apps. the worst customer support on planet earth!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-25-14 12:53 AM
    No....unless you get it for cheap like less than $100 and if you lower your expectations...I use mine for basically 2 things: playing music off the built-in speakers and outputting videos locally or off the browser.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    01-25-14 04:41 AM
    don't waste you time on a 3 year old technology with a dead end OS and no Apps
    Try the new DELL tablet with Windows 8.1, buy one which has a digitizing pen
    make sure you by the 64gb, 32 gb microcard, USB port,
    or try the Nokia tablet
    buy a 10 inch, a 7/8 inch does not work very well with windows. to small
    I bought about 7 months ago a Lenovo Tablet 2 with the pen, runs windows 8.1, love it
    MS Office and MS Exchange
    As I need all my files with me when I travel

used the PB last night to watch a movie, hoked up to my TV
    worked well for $4.99
    plus Listen to music at the doctors office
    Last edited by hreiner1; 01-26-14 at 06:44 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-25-14 04:43 PM
    This is an edited version of something I wrote on a BlackBerry facebook page last August.

What is WRONG with BlackBerry?

Webstore (at least in the UK) is utterly broken. Useless. Not a word.

BlackBerry Bridge has been abandoned, rendering the PlayBook useless.

BlackBerry Link is a pathetic excuse for software.

I've gone back to my Bold 9700 and PlayBook combo, for the time being. In my poor-reception zone, my Bold has UMA. Q10 doesn't.

As a suite of tools to support me, BB10, PlayBook, Bridge, Link and web-based resources are simply incomplete, are a missed opportunity and are a huge let-down.

Until August 2013, BB10 wouldn't even synchronise with (for example) Outlook. Playbook still can't.
    BB10 and Playbook don't share the same calendar and contacts data and Playbook can't even access BB10's data, even with Bridge. At least with my Bold 9700 I can use Playbook as a UI for the Bold's diary and contacts, even if they can't synchronise with each other.
    Currently, I can't even get PlayBook to download contacts by means of CardDAV; thankfully, CalDAV does seem to work.

Synchronisation with other, more secure (less easily lost, stolen or broken) PIMs is, to me, crucial for any mobile device. I need to keep a readily-available archive of my diary (for example, should the tax inspector ask to see it). Further, when my time with one mobile device ends, I want to be able to synchronise with an alternative, competing device. Backing up to a
    proprietary-format file isn't it.

Given that Playbook and BB10 are both essentially implementations of the same OS (QNX), this is just lazy. Or nuts.

The Playbook does make a tolerable bedside IP-Radio (if you know the right URLs).

As a phone, my Q10 isn't bad, I suppose. At least it was free and unbranded from my retailer.
    I don't currently have a SIM in it. My Q10 is now functioning as an in-car MP3 player.
    It has no better utility. No, really, it doesn't.

Looking back, the Ericsson T68, Psion Series 5mx and PsiWin PC software constituted a more complete and reliable solution than anything I've tried since.

I'm really at a loss to know what tech to invest in next.
    01-25-14 05:43 PM
    If you can snag one at a decent price, I say go for it. I just made 2 purchases for 32GB PlayBooks. They are both in immaculate condition. One for $80 cash off Kijiji and one for $100 (including taxes and shipping fees) off eBay. Watching movies, playing games, email, Web browsing, Document editing, it's all there. Sure, it's not as powerful as recent tablets, but the OS is one of the better ones out there and the prices are really decent.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DOCTOREVIL8; 01-27-14 at 05:20 AM.
    01-26-14 08:29 PM
    I need to get new tablet, currently am using ipad2, was thinking about PB as i love my z10,(i moved from iPhone and am proud of this) but is there any chances BlackBerry are working on newer version tablet or this chapter is closed for this company? Any news on that? Sorry if i repeat similar thread! Thanks for comments

Posted via CB10
    I don't know that I'd buy a PlayBook right now unless I get it for under $100. It's an incredible tablet and I own 2 of them but it's an aging platform. If it could handle BB10, that would breath new life into it, but it can't. The app selection isn't great since it's no longer supported.

Those still willing to purchase them likely already have one & understand how they'll use it and what the limitations are. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without prior experience with it. There are plenty of good Android tablets out there with hdmi out, front & rear cameras, etc.

I still love mine!

Keith H. Posted via CB10 on Z10.
    01-26-14 09:15 PM
    I need to keep a readily-available archive of my diary (for example, should the tax inspector ask to see it). Further, when my time with one mobile device ends, I want to be able to synchronise with an alternative, competing device. Backing up to a
    proprietary-format file isn't it.

Given that Playbook and BB10 are both essentially implementations of the same OS (QNX), this is just lazy. Or nuts.
    Just a thought - I am not sure what sort of data or files go into that tax diary but have you ever thought of using Evernote for that? It sounds like the sort of easy retreival cross platform tool that might work.

I am currently using a playbook as my primary tablet and this curve 9930 as my phone. Quite happy with the setup but I am 100 percent married to wifi as I am too cheap to pay the prices for data. So no BIS / BBM for me.

But there are certain things you will have to do like install and use Origami as your browser and get on the website and download all the apps you could ever need up front just in case.

I bought mine in late 2013 with the intention of using it for two years. I like it well enough that I even gave some thought to buying one as a backup and extending use of the device past that but the reality of tablet use is that when and if the manufacturer cuts your connection to the app store any tablet on the shelf that hasn't already been configured becomes a paperweight. Since I use linux, backing up and restoring to a desktop is not in the cards.

Incipio has a great little case with a kickstand for it on ebay. I like the playbook os a lot better than iOS 7.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330
    01-27-14 06:30 AM
    The app store fore the HP TouchPad is still open although webOS has an open source version but now owned by LG. Many TouchPads have now been converted to Android. Rooting the PB has not been done but many Android tablets can be rooted.
    01-27-14 10:23 AM
    Unless you're not annoyed easily and don't mind slow and if cheap enough it's ok. I have retired mine for something that has a future. I got 8" Toshiba Encore 8.1 windows tablet and couldn't be happier. I've owned the tether app for years now and mostly what I used bridge for was net access. Since I still have a legacy phone tether works better/faster with my 9850 than bridge did with my pb.

If I want to run windows software now I can also do that!
    01-27-14 11:09 AM
    It's a good option for those with a legacy device, not convinced that it's as worthwhile if you have a Z10. (Bigger screen yes, but much lower resolution/PPI.)
    01-27-14 11:10 AM
    depends on what you want and how trendy you are, the tech is fine and current with the cheaper entry tablets but the build quality is a lot better and memory is decent. the problem is the lack of support from BB but that doesn't make it useless at all. if they freed it up and updated the android it could be a serious bit of kit.

too many apps just distract you IMO and there's enough for me as I use it as something between my laptops and phone. you can do everything you need but you might need to switch to in browser functionality or a different program than you might be used to. I downloaded and side loaded hundreds of apps but find I only use 6 or 7 regularly.

although a newbie on here its getting boring with the same old naysayers popping up to slag them off just because they bought something else recently or paid full whack for them back when they came out. we know the drawbacks without you seagulling all over this part of the site so please do us a favour and get lost unless you have something positive to contribute.

I've not paid more than 60 quid for one unless it had extras like genuine keyboards, I've inadvertantly would up with 4 64gb and 1 32gb so probably need to downsize. although the wife has one, I indended to keep two for me and maybe a house one for guests.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-27-14 11:50 AM
    The app store fore the HP TouchPad is still open although webOS has an open source version but now owned by LG. Many TouchPads have now been converted to Android. Rooting the PB has not been done but many Android tablets can be rooted.
    After rooting the TP from ICS to JellyBean to KitKat, I've been thoroughly enjoying 2014 software on 2011 hardware! (of course with some bugs...)

And I can also say that I've been enjoying the PlayBook as well, as long as I play to the strengths: it's a great music device via built in speakers, it's a great video device via microHDMI connection and bridged to a BB as a remote (I either play movies / shows locally or stream from WiFi), the WiFi connection on this thing is awesomeness with OrigamiBrowser (when I tune into webinars, it runs them really well), it's a great reading device with certain sideloaded apps (of which are truly free and are in magazine or PDF format), and with sideloaded apps I went crazy at first but when I settled down and kept the ones that really fulfilled an app need; and it's great despite the Gingerbread limitation.

For the PlayBook, and even a Touchpad, if you can grab one for a really good price and if you can match your expectations of the device to your use case, go for it!

(Heck, I still keep my 9310 around as my dd music player and note taker.)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Last edited by sibeans; 01-30-14 at 11:06 PM.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-30-14 09:16 PM
30 12