I have had the Pearl 8100, curve early models and 8520 and am using the original Bold 9000 right now. I want to get a newer handset and was wondering which of the newer models is most reliable. There are no Rogers stores where I live to go and check out all the hardware, so any advice would be taken seriously. I like the keyboard, but, all touch is appealing. Need a shiny new handset to go with my shiny new PB. Thanks for any insights.
    02-08-12 10:16 AM
    9810. I have the 9800 and like the option of have a bigger screen but a hard keyboard for typing. I almost never use the on screen keyboard.
    You will probably get similar performance from all the OS7 phones.
    My 9800 performs well with the bridge and I may wait until the BB10 phones are released before my next upgrade.
    02-08-12 10:25 AM
    I love my 9810! I had a 9800 and when it came time to get a new phone it was a no-brainer for me, GO 4G WITH THE SAME CHASSIS!!! Seriously, I love this phone! The 4G is cool when I'm bridge-browsing my PlayBook, you won't regret it. I switch between the hard keyboard and the touchscreen keyboard depending on what I'm doing, the option to have both is awesome! 9810 gets my vote for sure!
    02-08-12 10:33 AM
    9790 - is really good.
    better battery life, nfc etc etc
    02-08-12 11:02 AM
    If you can hang onto your trusty 9000 until Sept/Oct then I would recommend you wait for the BlackBerry London

If it turns out you don't like the London, the BB7 phones will probably be discounted by then as an added bonus.
    Chinookman and OriginalLucy like this.
    02-08-12 11:15 AM
    Double post. Sorry
    Last edited by Rob Robertson; 02-08-12 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Double post
    02-08-12 11:16 AM
    You have a very fine phone now; I agree with above poster, wait for the "London."
    OriginalLucy likes this.
    02-08-12 11:18 AM
    The 9810 would be a great choice. The playbook has an EOF camera which means it's great for videos and landscape/portrait shots but close-ups (Ex. 12" from object) are not 'clear'�the 9810 has a great camera for close-up shots

The 9900 is iconic BlackBerry and would still be cool when London arrives
    02-08-12 12:21 PM
    If you can hang onto your trusty 9000 until Sept/Oct then I would recommend you wait for the BlackBerry London

If it turns out you don't like the London, the BB7 phones will probably be discounted by then as an added bonus.
    You have a very fine phone now; I agree with above poster, wait for the "London."
    I agree with both of these comments with one exception. If the OP wants to use the upcoming bluetooth remote control feature it would be kind of nice to have a touch screen BB - today. The feature will work without a touch screen but my guess is that the experience will not be as pleasant.
    02-08-12 12:33 PM
    Personally, I am ranking touchscreen BBs on top of the list. I base this upon the "remote control" feature shown at CES.
    02-08-12 12:35 PM
    ReallyI thought most would prefer a keyboard bb over a touch bb for bridge remote?
    02-08-12 12:58 PM
    9810. I upgraded from a 8900 and have no regrets. I was going to hold out for a BB10 but my carrier introduced 4G, and at that point it became worth it to go from 2G to 4G. The Playbook needs at least 3G really. Not sure if the 9000 is 3G.
    02-08-12 12:59 PM
    I think a 9810 with a bold keyboard would be an awesome device. If I were to upgrade on a os7 device I would probably go with the 9790.
    02-08-12 01:50 PM
    I agree with both of these comments with one exception. If the OP wants to use the upcoming bluetooth remote control feature it would be kind of nice to have a touch screen BB - today. The feature will work without a touch screen but my guess is that the experience will not be as pleasant.
    The Bold 9000 is still a really good phone, you are right. I think I will wait for the London and stay with old faithful for now. I had no idea how well liked the 9000 still is. Thank u all for the input. cheers
    02-08-12 03:43 PM
    ReallyI thought most would prefer a keyboard bb over a touch bb for bridge remote?
    I cannot remember the point in the video, but at one point his phone's screen went blue and had a bezel like border on it and he made bezel gestures. I was under the impression that would strictly be a touch screen move. I should have expanded on my comment to recommend a touchscreen phone with keyboard like my 9810.
    02-08-12 04:05 PM
    The 9900 has a touch screen along with a keyboard and is fantastic with the PB. The BB10 phones are still a ways away. I wouldn't wait. Get a 9900 and be thrilled.
    02-08-12 04:14 PM
    The Bold 9000 is still a really good phone, you are right. I think I will wait for the London and stay with old faithful for now. I had no idea how well liked the 9000 still is. Thank u all for the input. cheers
    The 9000 maybe great but seriously there is a significant generation gap there.
    The hardware is incomparable, the OS even more so.
    Pull up an old 9000 review and any of the OS 7 devices reviews (9810, 9860, 9900) here on crackberry and take a look at the specs. EVERYTHING was bumped up and a new swanky OS laid on top.
    No doubt everyone means well here but they are urging you to stick to the hourglasses, freezing, iffy resolutions, and ancient specs.
    I never thought I need to upgrade my OS 5 BB until the 9800 landed in my lap. The same thing happened when the 9810 landed.
    You actually realise you had bit of a tech dinosaur for a phone.
    The 9000 has a TRACKBALL for heaven's sake! No offense but that is like a CRT telly nowadays.
    02-08-12 05:09 PM
    To each there own. Not everyone feels like they need the latest greatest tech even after trying it out. If the OP likes the 9000 and can wait until later in the year for a BB10 BB then great. That's also what I'm doing.
    My wife works for a multi-billion dollar company, as National Manager of HR, and she is currently issued a Curve 8330. She loves it, it does what she wants and she simply doesn't care what some new phones can do. I suspect many people are the same way.
    02-08-12 08:01 PM

That's kindah the info I was looking fer...! Hate the 9800 but will not go there I just tell myself to be patient and was wondering about the BB10 release. That's good and close enough for me. And my plan on ordering the PB (from RIM's website) on the 11th w/ a 14 day delivery may mean it will have the OS2 installed? Hmmm well just being optimistic!
    02-08-12 10:06 PM
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am in a similar boat.

I currently have the 9800 but I keep reading that an OS7 device delivers a much better Bridge experience.

My contract isn't up for renewal until October this year and I have decided that is too long to wait as I use the Bridge function a lot and have been disappointed sometimes at the speed.

So my question is: is there a difference in Bridge performance with each individual OS7 device? If the Curve is slower in the Bridge function than the Bold 9900 then that would immediately encourage me to spend more money on the better performing one.
    02-09-12 02:44 AM
    choose handset with both keyboard and touch screen so that you can use the new features of playbook OS2.
    02-09-12 02:48 AM
    "Looking for new handset to go with Playbook"

Nokia N9

With Swipe it feels quite similar to use.
    02-09-12 05:03 AM
    9900 best couple for blackberry playbook
    02-09-12 05:46 AM
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am in a similar boat.

I currently have the 9800 but I keep reading that an OS7 device delivers a much better Bridge experience.

My contract isn't up for renewal until October this year and I have decided that is too long to wait as I use the Bridge function a lot and have been disappointed sometimes at the speed.

So my question is: is there a difference in Bridge performance with each individual OS7 device? If the Curve is slower in the Bridge function than the Bold 9900 then that would immediately encourage me to spend more money on the better performing one.
    I am seriously wondering the same thing. I'm not sure if anyone has actually carried out any timing or tests to compare older and newer devices or if most observations are just basted on the "feel" of the results. I keep thinking of taking my pb to verizon and seeing if I can get some real time on an OS7 device and actually bridge it. I read that one of the real limitations is BT and I don't know if that has been changed in newer devices (different than the OS).
    02-09-12 08:51 AM
    "Looking for new handset to go with Playbook"

Nokia N9

With Swipe it feels quite similar to use.
    That just might have a little trouble when it comes to bridging it and using the new remote control functionality of the Playbook.
    02-09-12 09:28 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD