Like the title says..... I need help making a choice on the PB. Is there any official word (or reliable rumor) as to when/how Android apps might run on a PB? I really would like to go with a PB over the other choices on the market but NONE of the apps I need to run are available on either my BB or for the PB BUT are available for Android and iOS. I personally can't stand Apple so I'm looking for any opportunity to stay out of the orchard.

Also, is the drive space (16gb 32gb 64gb) used for app AND file space or is it used solely for 'data' while apps are corralled in the 1gb? A big disappointment for me with my S1 was that apps couldn't be run from the micro SD. So if all 3 PB's have the same 1gb space for apps and the only difference is the space I will have for music and movies I can cut the 64 off the list.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
    04-29-11 01:38 PM
    the 16, 32, 64 is used for apps. i'm rocking the 64
    04-29-11 01:44 PM
    I guess we will find out how Android apps will run a little closer to the release of the Android capabilities, but bear in mind, you cant just download from the Android store, the developer needs to submit their app to BB for deployment into the App World.

As for the drive space - the 16/32/64 Gb is for apps and data - essentially the equivalent of your computers hard drive. The 1Gb is the memory used for executing those apps - the equivalent of your computers RAM.
    04-29-11 01:45 PM
    How much free memory is everyone left with. I seem to rum about 440.3 TO 300 mb left.
    04-29-11 01:47 PM
    How much free memory is everyone left with. I seem to rum about 440.3 TO 300 mb left.
    I am running at 464.2Mb right now. I am positive this will get better over time with new OS releases as well.
    04-29-11 01:51 PM
    235 free with 42 installed applications.
    04-29-11 02:02 PM
    I returned my 16GB to get a 32GB one. Found that after the I put a few songs on and pics I was down to 10GB pretty quickly.
    04-29-11 02:23 PM
    I returned my 16 gig and went with the 32 gig... after doing a restart,
    my device has 500 meg ram free...
    04-29-11 02:46 PM
    i've got 265 meg free memory and 43 applications installed. I wonder how much i would have after a restart.
    04-29-11 03:02 PM
    They all have the same 1gb space for running apps.

I just did a fresh restart and with nothing running and no connections I have 508.2mb of free space. I have 100 applications installed and about 313 music files.
    04-29-11 03:42 PM
    I ordered a 64GB, so I can keep all my media I want with me (music, movies/series, books) in one spot and have enough space for future growth. That way I don't have to worry to much about the space to much when I have something new I want to add.
    04-29-11 05:44 PM
    How much can you afford to spend?

That's the one you want to get.
    04-29-11 05:50 PM
    Not to sound obnoxious but money is not an issue. That's not to say I want to throw cash out the window.... It's that the price point between any of the tablets on the market today won't sway me one way or the other. This has a happy home on next year's schedule C

More disappointment in learning that Android apps will have to jump through a RIM hoop. I was hoping that we would be able to get the latest offering for either platform as they were released. Any chance we'll be able to install app's OTA like I can do now with my BB? I can't even begin to believe that this is either legal nor (in the case of Apple) not a widespread enough issue to garner a DoJ hairy eyeball..... If MS were to force developers to come in through Redmond's backdoor DoJ would have predator drones circling their HQ.

Back on the fence.
    04-29-11 07:11 PM
    Stay on the fence if you are waiting on Android apps to be on the PB. I, for one, do not want them there. I would rather developers take a crack at making apps that fully use PB's capabilities. App players are not my idea of fun. Of course, until the native SDK is released, I guess there has to be something to tide people over application wise.
    04-29-11 07:18 PM
    I was considering the 32 GB - went with the 16 GB instead and spent the extra $100 on 1 TB of HD space for my PC. I plan on taking lots of HD video of my kids, and photos etc
    04-29-11 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD