My Playbook is on it's last legs - thanks to everyone for helping me with my previous problems. I'm looking to get some advice on what my next tablet should be. I'd love another Playbook - I've found some barely used ones on the web and can get a 32GB one for about $120. I've also looked at other tablets, Nexus 7, Asus MeMoPad 7 inch and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7 inch). What I like about the MeMoPad is the microSD card, but I've seen that USB OTG is available on the Nexus and Galaxy Tab. I'd love to get Playbook users who have used these and other similar tablets thoughts on what they thought of them, vs the Playbook.

On my PB, I love being able to have more than one app going at any one time. I love the cameras and speakers. I'm still curious about BB10 on the PB. The video chat and the bridging with my BB smartphone are also pluses.

At this point in time, I've read that new versions of the MeMoPad and Nexus 7 are coming out in July. I'm not in too much of a hurry to get a new tablet, so I'd like to be fully informed.

Thanks for all your advice.
    06-13-13 07:35 PM
    What is the problem with your pb? Maybe it can be salvaged?

I will definitely follow this thread. I'm sure you are not alone in trying to figure out what can replace a pb and provide a reasonable tablet experience if another pb is not in the cards. There have been a few threads. I've looked at a Win8 Pro - HP envy2 (????). But the detachable keyboard does not connect by bt but must be physically attached which seems quite limiting.
    06-13-13 10:32 PM
    If it is only for love of having multiple applications running at the same time and you don't care about OS, Note 8 is not bad... without being biased, the N8 makes our PB like dinosaur... the split-screen capability alone (both are working at the same time) is one of its kind...

Posted via Z10
    06-13-13 10:56 PM
    My Playbook is on it's last legs - thanks to everyone for helping me with my previous problems. I'm looking to get some advice on what my next tablet should be. I'd love another Playbook - I've found some barely used ones on the web and can get a 32GB one for about $120. I've also looked at other tablets, Nexus 7, Asus MeMoPad 7 inch and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7 inch). What I like about the MeMoPad is the microSD card, but I've seen that USB OTG is available on the Nexus and Galaxy Tab. I'd love to get Playbook users who have used these and other similar tablets thoughts on what they thought of them, vs the Playbook.

On my PB, I love being able to have more than one app going at any one time. I love the cameras and speakers. I'm still curious about BB10 on the PB. The video chat and the bridging with my BB smartphone are also pluses.

At this point in time, I've read that new versions of the MeMoPad and Nexus 7 are coming out in July. I'm not in too much of a hurry to get a new tablet, so I'd like to be fully informed.

How long have you had it, and what are the syptoms?

Might be you just need to wipe and reload os image. I've had my 2 PB since launch and one acts a media server to my AV system, still a screamer.

My "Work" Playbook, I just wiped and reload the OS Image this last weekend and it now runs like speed freak. I've only sideloaded 1 App on it, no issue there, but I subscribe to the premise that every 1.5/2 years, I reload my OS on my pc, and it is like a new machine, snappy and responsive.

I carry this logic over to the PB.

You might try that, depending on what issue(s) you are experiencing.

C
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-14-13 08:58 AM

I have two galaxy tab 10.1 version 1 and have just set up two tab 2s. The end user wouldn't know the difference between the two, but I find them awkward to use. I'm used to and love the screen swipe gestures of my pb and I find the Android tabs clunky and apart from having screens full of widgets that are nice to look at it don't find them good at all. By the time I've been using one for an hour I have to put it down before I am tempted to throw it through the window.

The two tab 2s I've just set up for friends have given me the distinct impression that something is happening in the android world that I don't like. Samsung app store and Google Android apps seem to be heading in the same direction as Apple. You can still use them both but you need separate user id's now where on the mark 1 google just used your Samsung login details.

Sorry about that but just my thoughts.
    06-14-13 09:23 AM
    Again, you have to evaluate what is important for you. For me, the PB is still closest to perfect but doesn't have the apps. With BB10, USB OTG, and android 4.2 runtime for the player (true android app sideload support), it probably would be most perfect. I've got a Nexus 7 but it lacks rear facing camera, HDMI out, audio quality, and has poor flash support. Great screen, quad core processor, and timely Google android updates are plusses. You can tell the MeMo pad is related but the screen resolution and view angle is bad. Seems like manufacturers have to really cut the hardware to bring the device in the <$200 range. Case in point is the HP Slate 7:
    HP Slate 7 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
    I was hoping someone would comment on the "beats" audio as PB has most tablets beat here. But HP must have cut too many other features. Haven't looked too much at Kindle Fire HD, either. Probably can't go wrong with a Galaxy Note or Tab (don't know which one is more current). Just might not get OS upgrades as fast.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 06-14-13 at 09:59 AM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    06-14-13 09:48 AM
    Again, you have to evaluate what is important for you. For me, the PB is still closest to perfect but doesn't have the apps. With BB10, USB OTG, and android 4.2 runtime for the player (true android app sideload support), it probably would be most perfect. I've got a Nexus 7 but it lacks rear facing camera, HDMI out, audio quality, and has poor flash support. Great screen, quad core processor, and timely Google android updates are plusses. You can tell the MeMo pad is related but the screen resolution and view angle is bad. Seems like manufacturers have to really cut the hardware to bring the device in the <$200 range. Case in point is the HP Slate 7:
    HP Slate 7 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
    I was hoping someone would comment on the "beats" audio as PB has most tablets beat here. But HP must have cut too many other features. Haven't looked too much at Kindle Fire HD, either. Probably can't go wrong with a Galaxy Note or Tab (don't know which one is more current). Just might not get OS upgrades as fast.
    This helpful post from yourself does not mean that you can claim to be a goooooood goosegog! You are still baaaaaaaad in my world.
    06-14-13 10:25 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. My PB's screen is the issue. I have to press the bottom of the screen and the top of the screen, while pushing the power button to get the screen to turn on normally. A repair shop estimated a price of around $100 to fix it while Blackberry wants a $50 for me to get a get an incident report thingie. I figured I could take that money and either replace my PB with another for around $120 (32GB) or get an new android tablet.

I do like the swipe interface on the BB and, like I said, the running multiple apps. Also, my parents have a PB and we love the video chat - they call my daughter all the time.
    06-15-13 08:39 PM
    Make a list of required features and have a fly-off. The Nexus 7 is a nice tablet lacking HDMI and rear camera and having single band wifi. It has working OTG without rooting but no SD slot. You don't have the bloatware some of the vendors put upon you. An updated version is anticipated very soon which may give improvements desired.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-15-13 10:07 PM
    please i have been looking for a site where i can download 'blackberry 9900 os 7.1.0 bundle 998' can you give a link to follow?

secondly i have a touch 9850 that shows a white screen, i have tried to reinstall the os but it gives this error
    Looking for advice for my PlayBook-image.jpg
    pls assist if u can
    06-26-13 11:43 PM
    please i have been looking for a site where i can download 'blackberry 9900 os 7.1.0 bundle 998' can you give a link to follow?

secondly i have a touch 9850 that shows a white screen, i have tried to reinstall the os but it gives this error
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	176385
    pls assist if u can
    You need to be looking in the forum mentioned below but a quick look did not find that OS version but I could be wrong. The OS' are listed at the top of that page.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...930-9900-f235/
    06-27-13 12:07 AM
    Just to give some closure to this thread - I went and replaced my 16GB PB with a....... 32GB PB! I got a great deal on a used one. I looked at the other tablets, the Nexus 7 was very intriguing and I've read that there is a new version of the tablet coming out this summer. At the end of the day, I may still pick up that Nexus 7 (I played with it at the local Future Shop) and enjoyed it) or the newer version of the MemoPad. But for now, I'm still a PB owner and still loving it.

Thanks again for all of the advice. I knew coming to you guys for advise was the best thing to do.

Cheers!
    FF22 likes this.
    06-27-13 02:37 PM
    Personally, I think that if you are done with the PlayBook, then your best bet is the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 or the 10.1. They both serve the end user with excellent multitasking, comparable to the PlayBook. Even though it's in a different form. I have the 10.1 as well as the PlayBook and I really like them both.
    Horace2012 likes this.
    06-27-13 02:48 PM
    Nice closure to the thread. Enjoy your "new" pb.
    axllebeer and Horace2012 like this.
    06-27-13 03:31 PM