I think 2.0 is a big improvement. I particularly love the new keyboard, so happy they put the numbers across the top, saves a lot of switching between views. Bravo. And I also think the PB keyboard in terms of usability, size, and even the click tones is the best of all the tablets (and I own them all ).

However I have noticed a significant increase in boot time since updating. At one point I thought it had hung but patience is a virtue so after it booted I was quite relieved.

Anyway all in all I think it's a worthwhile upgrade. I'm not so keen on being able to use Android apps, as I have an Android device but would be great most of all to see Skype, since the two cameras are really terrific.
    02-22-12 10:55 AM
    2min 40 sec from off to seeing icons. The same if I do a head reset. I wonder if anyone ever timed boot up with OS1?
    The first boot after the update took some time.
    02-22-12 11:06 AM
    OS2 takes a while to boot-up. It sucks but standby mode saves me when I decide to use it. My girlfriend has been using my PlayBook lately and she has been saying "upgrade your tablet" more often than not lol, when I ask her why she says that her reply is "it takes way too long to boot-up"...
    02-27-12 02:08 PM
    It does take awhile to boot up, but luckily I rarely have to reboot. I always keep mine in stand-by.

As an upgrade, I'm extremely happy with everything OS 2 has to offer. I find myself using my Blackberry Torch as a remote 80% of the time. I keep mine docked on the charging stand on my desk at work and grab my phone to operate the PlayBook when I see that wonderful red light flashing. It makes checking email fun!
    02-27-12 02:20 PM
    The device was not designed to be shut down and booted or rebooted all the time. Think of it as a really big cell phone. How often do you shut down your phone?
    02-27-12 02:27 PM
    the boot time is pretty slow. i wonder if that has something to do with the android player loading. but how many ppl actually turn it completely off i wonder? that would be annoying for any device, i'd think. mine is only ever in standby.
    02-27-12 02:38 PM
    the boot time is pretty slow. i wonder if that has something to do with the android player loading. but how many ppl actually turn it completely off i wonder? that would be annoying for any device, i'd think. mine is only ever in standby.
    I turn mine off every night before going to sleep.
    02-27-12 02:41 PM
    With OS1 my PB took 1min 28sec from a cold boot (from a forced shutdown)
    OS2 takes 2min 39 seconds for the same.
    Same Apps are installed with both OS's except for the two free games recently offered by RIM.

I have never used the betas, dingle... or side loaded anything.
    When I updated to OS2, like most, I let it automatically overwrite OS1. No problems with the update. I could tell that the boot time had increased to well over 2minutes. Everything worked fine.
    A few days later, just for giggles, I did a manual reload of OS2 using the DM recovery method. Reloaded all my apps via Appworld. No change. It still takes a fair bit longer to reboot OS2 than it did with OS1.
    The boot time doesn't bother me (just offering up my findings) as I have probably only rebooted my PB a half dozen times and never really because I needed to...just felt like it.

MY PB works perfectly and hasn't caused me any concern at all.
    02-27-12 02:42 PM
    Boot up time is long, but who cares. I do something else in the meantime. It is not a car.
    02-27-12 02:50 PM
    Boot up time is long, but who cares. I do something else in the meantime. It is not a car.
    It was a statement, I was comparing it to iPad or Android devices. That's all. It was not a criticism.
    02-27-12 02:51 PM
    I turn mine off every night before going to sleep.
    If the boot time is an issue for you, why not just throw it on a charger at night. You aren't going to kill anything like this. I have dock charger that I leave it in. Just my 2 cents.
    02-27-12 02:52 PM
    @zorecati, the device gets very hot while charging. also from my cell phone experiences over time, the batteries don't last as long if constantly plugged in as they do from being allowed to cool down and restart. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by andy957; 02-27-12 at 03:13 PM.
    02-27-12 02:54 PM
    Yeah, the new boot time is longer, but:

1) we really don't have to reboot that often

and

2) the bigger, more bulbous colored circles are real pretty to watch
    pmccartney likes this.
    02-27-12 02:58 PM
    i noticed the long boot too, think ill try leaving it in standby to save time as i normally shut down every night and charge it once a week, ill see how long a full charge lasts me now
    andy957 likes this.
    02-27-12 03:15 PM
    i noticed the long boot too, think ill try leaving it in standby to save time as i normally shut down every night and charge it once a week, ill see how long a full charge lasts me now
    I'll be interested to know what you find out, since that is what I've been doing too.
    02-27-12 03:17 PM
    The boot time is long ... I agree with you ... but kind of fast on everything else when you are in your main screen
    02-27-12 03:27 PM
    Mine takes 2min 30sec to boot pretty much on the nose, considering its running out-of-the-box with the Wifi only setup (no secondary apps/functions configured) it is quite long. Understand leaving it in standby mode but it will eventually deplete the battery at some point unless one is vigilant and keeps the charge up; prefer to turn my devices off when not in use especially if I don't plan on using them for a lengthy period.
    02-27-12 03:35 PM
    I wouldn't care so much about the bootup time but the android app player has made me have to reboot several times.
    02-27-12 03:37 PM
    I wouldn't care so much about the bootup time but the android app player has made me have to reboot several times.
    Good point... I'm sure there are other instances where a reboot is required occasionally and obviously it then comes into play.
    02-27-12 03:53 PM
    It was a statement, I was comparing it to iPad or Android devices. That's all. It was not a criticism.
    No worries, it was also a statement on my part.
    02-27-12 04:32 PM
    Yup, Android lockups just today and yesterday have required about 4 reboots. But I may be playing with "explosive" sideloads.

I guess I should add, the Android Player part locks up, the rest of the apps outside of it keep on working.
    02-27-12 04:47 PM
    I also turn mine off each night before going to bed and occasionally let the battery run down to 10% or so before turning it off and then letting it charger back to full while off. I have no positive evidence other than the fact that it does seem that battery powered devices always on and charging seem to crap out sooner others that aren't.
    02-27-12 05:53 PM
    I find the long boot time irritating, even more so because since installing OS2, I've had to reboot a lot more often, to get the Playbook running right again. Biggest culprit has been the the Kindle (android) reader, which never required a single reboot under the Beta OS2. Upon booting up, several times the Playbook would just hang after I entered in the password--pretty blotches on screen, but never going further no matter how long I would wait, forcing me to reboot again. I removed the password and don't have that issue any more.
    02-27-12 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD