I can't get Kindle to appear on my playbook. I installed the correct java 32 bit. I installed DDPD. I tried downloading the Kindle bar to both the computer and playbook and tried to install and it said done but it wasn't there. Since it was new and I don't have much on it, I did a security wipe and did the process over again, with the same lack of results. Any ideas? Thanks!
    11-08-12 03:36 PM
    Have you tried rebooting the PB after installation? Or maybe a second reboot? This usually solves the problem (it did in my case).
    Also, have you tried swiping to left or right?
    dwhandy likes this.
    11-08-12 04:04 PM
    When you installed did ddpb show 0% 50% ok next to the program name and ok in the second pop up box? If it did it should be installed. As Dave_h said, try swiping left and right, and scroll up to see if it was installed anywhere. If it failed to install once then it can also help to do 2 or 3 uninstalls until you get an ok, then do the install again. I posted link to the working version in another thread yesterday just to make sure you have a good bar file.
    dwhandy likes this.
    11-08-12 05:06 PM
    Latest version of Kindle you can install on the PlayBook is 3.2.0.25. There are newer versions, but those will either: a) not show an icon; b) force close. You can Google for the apk file and the use apk2bar to get a bar file.

I prefer PlayBook Tools or BBH-Tools for sideloading, they are fairly easy to use.

EDIT: Right. .35.
    Last edited by diegonei; 11-15-12 at 04:15 PM.
    dwhandy and Bilaal like this.
    11-08-12 08:02 PM
    That would be 3.2.0.35. One caveat. It's not entirely reliable and will crash from time to time especially if it doesn't have a solid connection to the internet. When it does so it trashes the credentials so that you may have to re-download. Frustrating if you are not online... We need a real PB Kindle app. I'm starting to seriously consider switching to Kobo.
    dwhandy likes this.
    11-15-12 03:39 PM
    That would be 3.2.0.35. One caveat. It's not entirely reliable and will crash from time to time especially if it doesn't have a solid connection to the internet. When it does so it trashes the credentials so that you may have to re-download. Frustrating if you are not online... We need a real PB Kindle app. I'm starting to seriously consider switching to Kobo.
    Would make sense specially if you plan on moving on to BB10 as I bet Kobo will be the ebook provider there too. I tried Kobo, have a few books there. I find that most books there are cheaper compared to Amazon.

I never had this crash or redownload issue you speak of, but I do have to log back in from time to time... Not often though.

And welcome to the forums.
    11-15-12 04:17 PM
    All - I am new to PlayBook, not to Blackberry or the forums.

I have successfully loaded several Andriod apps, including the Kindle App, Dropbox, eBay, Skype etc. Specifically, the Kindle app appears to be working OK, I can go into the app and I can see "Home" "On Device" "Archive" and "Store" tabs across the top. (I have installed 3.2.0.35 and an running os 2.1.0.1088).

I have copied several .MOBI files onto my PlayBook and stored them in the "books" folder in the root.

However, within the Kindle App, none of these books are showing up in the "On Device" tab. I have gone into the settings and pressed "Sync", I have logged into the Kindle Store OK but still no books in my library.

Any suggestions?
    hudeout45 likes this.
    11-16-12 03:56 AM
    I believe the books need to be stored in the Kindle folder, not root folder.
    Xopher likes this.
    11-16-12 05:10 AM
    I also sideloaded Kindle, version 3.2.0.35 and I honestly have no problems. To me it works just like a native app. I sideloaded it through the DDPB installer and it showed up on my PB desktop immediately...just make sure it downloads completely on DDPB and says "OK" and it should pop up on your home screen. If not, keep repeating the process, sometimes sideloaded apps stop at 50% and I had to re-do the ones that did that until it said "OK".
    11-16-12 06:02 AM
    @wafa510 - the app has loaded and is working. How do I get my .mobi books to show up in the library?

@berzons - I did a search using windows explorer and also file manager - I can't locate the kindle directory. How do you access it?
    11-16-12 06:15 AM
    @wafa510 - the app has loaded and is working. How do I get my .mobi books to show up in the library?

@berzons - I did a search using windows explorer and also file manager - I can't locate the kindle directory. How do you access it?
    @ Rocky - I was responding to the OP's post. I cannot answer your question about .mobi files, maybe someone else can..sorry!
    11-16-12 06:31 AM
    I believe the books need to be stored in the Kindle folder, not root folder.
    Yup. Confirmed. I put a couple .mobi fumes in the /Kindle folder and they showed up in the Kindle app.
    11-16-12 06:33 AM
    how did you side-load Skype onto the PB

any help is appropriated

Thanks

11-16-12 07:58 AM

Android/kindle/books, iirc.
    11-16-12 09:08 AM
    how did you side-load Skype onto the PB

any help is appropriated

Thanks

You won't get video calls with sideloaded Skype, I'm afraid. You might get your contacts and voice calls. I've never sideloaded it so I'm not too sure.
    11-16-12 09:11 AM
    Android/kindle/books, iirc.
    Actually, /misc/android/kindle
    Berzons likes this.
    11-16-12 09:30 AM
    Actually, /misc/android/kindle
    That's the one, cheers.
    11-16-12 09:43 AM
    I wanted to load the Kindle app on my new PB. This thread was a huge help!!
    11-16-12 10:35 AM