Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rocky_zw
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default loading Kindle on Playbook 2.1

I can't get Kindle to appear on my playbook. I installed the correct java 32 bit. I installed DDPD. I tried downloading the Kindle bar to both the computer and playbook and tried to install and it said done but it wasn't there. Since it was new and I don't have much on it, I did a security wipe and did the process over again, with the same lack of results. Any ideas? Thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Default Re: Kindle on Playbook 2.1

Have you tried rebooting the PB after installation? Or maybe a second reboot? This usually solves the problem (it did in my case).
    Also, have you tried swiping to left or right?
    Thanked by:
    dwhandy (11-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

When you installed did ddpb show 0% 50% ok next to the program name and ok in the second pop up box? If it did it should be installed. As Dave_h said, try swiping left and right, and scroll up to see if it was installed anywhere. If it failed to install once then it can also help to do 2 or 3 uninstalls until you get an ok, then do the install again. I posted link to the working version in another thread yesterday just to make sure you have a good bar file.
    Thanked by:
    dwhandy (11-15-2012) 

Latest version of Kindle you can install on the PlayBook is 3.2.0.25. There are newer versions, but those will either: a) not show an icon; b) force close. You can Google for the apk file and the use apk2bar to get a bar file.

I prefer PlayBook Tools or BBH-Tools for sideloading, they are fairly easy to use.

EDIT: Right. .35.
    Last edited by diegonei; 11-15-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

Thanked by 2:
    Bilaal (12-08-2012),  dwhandy (11-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Default Minor correction

That would be 3.2.0.35. One caveat. It's not entirely reliable and will crash from time to time especially if it doesn't have a solid connection to the internet. When it does so it trashes the credentials so that you may have to re-download. Frustrating if you are not online... We need a real PB Kindle app. I'm starting to seriously consider switching to Kobo.
    Thanked by:
    dwhandy (11-15-2012) 

Quote Originally Posted by mel897 View Post
    That would be 3.2.0.35. One caveat. It's not entirely reliable and will crash from time to time especially if it doesn't have a solid connection to the internet. When it does so it trashes the credentials so that you may have to re-download. Frustrating if you are not online... We need a real PB Kindle app. I'm starting to seriously consider switching to Kobo.
    Would make sense specially if you plan on moving on to BB10 as I bet Kobo will be the ebook provider there too. I tried Kobo, have a few books there. I find that most books there are cheaper compared to Amazon.

I never had this crash or redownload issue you speak of, but I do have to log back in from time to time... Not often though.

And welcome to the forums.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry User

PIN
    27F54CF6

All - I am new to PlayBook, not to Blackberry or the forums.

I have successfully loaded several Andriod apps, including the Kindle App, Dropbox, eBay, Skype etc. Specifically, the Kindle app appears to be working OK, I can go into the app and I can see "Home" "On Device" "Archive" and "Store" tabs across the top. (I have installed 3.2.0.35 and an running os 2.1.0.1088).

I have copied several .MOBI files onto my PlayBook and stored them in the "books" folder in the root.

However, within the Kindle App, none of these books are showing up in the "On Device" tab. I have gone into the settings and pressed "Sync", I have logged into the Kindle Store OK but still no books in my library.

Any suggestions?
    hudeout45 likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I believe the books need to be stored in the Kindle folder, not root folder.
    Thanked by:
    Xopher (11-16-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts

I also sideloaded Kindle, version 3.2.0.35 and I honestly have no problems. To me it works just like a native app. I sideloaded it through the DDPB installer and it showed up on my PB desktop immediately...just make sure it downloads completely on DDPB and says "OK" and it should pop up on your home screen. If not, keep repeating the process, sometimes sideloaded apps stop at 50% and I had to re-do the ones that did that until it said "OK".
    Lovin' the Playbook and hatin' the cynics!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    27F54CF6

@wafa510 - the app has loaded and is working. How do I get my .mobi books to show up in the library?

@berzons - I did a search using windows explorer and also file manager - I can't locate the kindle directory. How do you access it?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocky_zw View Post
    @wafa510 - the app has loaded and is working. How do I get my .mobi books to show up in the library?

@berzons - I did a search using windows explorer and also file manager - I can't locate the kindle directory. How do you access it?
    @ Rocky - I was responding to the OP's post. I cannot answer your question about .mobi files, maybe someone else can..sorry!
    Lovin' the Playbook and hatin' the cynics!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Default Re: loading Kindle on Playbook 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by Berzons View Post
    I believe the books need to be stored in the Kindle folder, not root folder.
    Yup. Confirmed. I put a couple .mobi fumes in the /Kindle folder and they showed up in the Kindle app.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Abuser

Smile skype

how did you side-load Skype onto the PB

any help is appropriated

Thanks

CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by rocky_zw View Post

Android/kindle/books, iirc.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hreiner1 View Post
    how did you side-load Skype onto the PB

any help is appropriated

Thanks

You won't get video calls with sideloaded Skype, I'm afraid. You might get your contacts and voice calls. I've never sideloaded it so I'm not too sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Berzons View Post
    Android/kindle/books, iirc.
    Actually, /misc/android/kindle

Thanked by:
    Berzons (11-16-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by diegonei View Post
    Actually, /misc/android/kindle
    That's the one, cheers.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    5,076 Global Posts

I wanted to load the Kindle app on my new PB. This thread was a huge help!!
    The worst foe lies within the self.....