is there anyone out there who started out as tech phobic but has successfully mastered
    putting movies on their playbook.

I have spent a lot of time looking for you tube how to's and I find it all quite
    confusing and tooooo technological (is there even such a word??) Anyways, I
    can't do it and would love if anyone had tips. If responding to this, please
    assume that I have the computer knowledge of a hamster and make
    suggestions as straightforward as possible.

If I learn from you guys, I can hopefully pass it on to. I love the idea
    of having the forum.
    11-17-12 01:01 AM
    Ok, in general it's not a nice thing to post the same question in the same forum twice cause it clatters it. I have already suggested to you what programms you can use in your other thread and I will update it with guidelines on how to transfer your movies from your PC to your PB. Better stick with that one. This needs to be removed.
    11-17-12 01:54 AM
    The easiest and quickest way to load YouTube vids on your PB is to use the android app TubeMate, which needs to be sideloaded (it's not available in app world) The app can be downloaded here- http://goodereader.com/apps/wp-conte...oad.php?id=387 To sideload the app, the easiest way to do it is to first install Google Chrome on your PC, then open Chrome and go here and follow the instructions.- PlayBook App Manager
    11-17-12 02:39 AM
    yeah I too use tubemate for playbook. I was hesitating to sideload android apps to my playbook at first but proceeded it was fun and so easy
    CairnsRock likes this.
    11-17-12 03:21 AM
    I am no tech expert but have loaded quite a few movies on my pb. I just started with a DRM free movie on DVD, used Handbrake with the iPad settings to convert it to MP4 format, then dragged and dropped it into my Playbook video folder. Piece of cake.
    11-17-12 10:26 AM
    is there anyone out there who started out as tech phobic but has successfully mastered
    putting movies on their playbook.

I have spent a lot of time looking for you tube how to's and I find it all quite
    confusing and tooooo technological (is there even such a word??) Anyways, I
    can't do it and would love if anyone had tips. If responding to this, please
    assume that I have the computer knowledge of a hamster and make
    suggestions as straightforward as possible.

If I learn from you guys, I can hopefully pass it on to. I love the idea
    of having the forum.
    I usuallly load a DVD into my laptop, and convert it to iPod format, using either AVS Video Converter, or Cucusoft. It will also require an additional piece of software that can decrypt on the fly is the film is copy protected.

I currently have 170 films or programme episodes on my iPod Classic, but I can also synchronise to my PlayBook. I didn't intend to use the PlayBook for watching films, but having just copied Gladiator on to it and watched it, I'm quite impressed, and the HDMi connection to a HD TV is not too shabby either. I only have the 16Gb version though so won't be putting many films on there, as I use my PlayBook mostly for internet, messaging, email and working on MS office files, website editing, so 16Gb is more than adequate,
    11-17-12 11:29 AM
    Dave_h_946 has already given all informations that are needed for this.

Don't forget that ripping a DVD and copy it to a PC or tablet never was something meant to be easy. Although lots of people are doing it, the DVD manufacturers sell it to you for reading in a DVD player, not to be copied on a tablet.
    11-17-12 01:18 PM
    Found a link for a free dvd ripper, good till November 27. You must activate by November 28. It should have a preset for the PlayBook, if not , I use an iPad preset, should be the same thing. It should also work with DVDs with DRM.

Get WinX DVD Ripper Platinum (Win/Mac) for free | The Cheapskate - CNET News.
    11-17-12 02:52 PM
    Here is a freebie for you that seems to be packed with features. It's called FreeMake Video Converter. Here is the Freemake website: Freemake | Best Freeware Alternatives To Paid Video Software. There is a BlackBerry setting.

- Convert video free between 250+ video formats: AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, FLV, SWF, MPEG, 3GP, DVD, Blu-ray.
    - Prepare videos for playback on your gadgets: iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple TV, PSP, PS3, PS Vita, Xbox, Android devices, Nokia, Samsung, and BlackBerry mobiles.
    - Rip and burn DVD with subtitles. Burn video Blu-ray discs.
    - Download online videos from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, 50+ other websites by a quick copypaste of video URL into the program.
    - Create a custom preset for any mobile phone, tablet or game console.
    - Convert videos to Flash FLV or SWF and to HTML5 formats. Get ready embed code for web page integration.
    - Extract sound of the video. Convert YouTube to MP3.
    - Turn photos & MP3 into slideshows. Create audio visualisations. Upload your videos and slideshows to YouTube from program interface.
    - Edit videos. Cut unnecessary video parts. Join several videos into one. Rotate videos 90 degrees. Limit output file size.
    - Convert videos with 10x speed due to CUDA and DXVA support! The program runs under Windows XP/Vista/7 and is optimized for netbooks.

It does not have any hidden costs (always free) or intrusive advertising as long as you don't install it with the installer. See NOTE below.

Freemake YouTube video (step by step tutorial on how to convert videos):

*** NOTE*** When installing it, it wants to install a WhiteSmoke web browser toolbar by default using the Express installation. It also wants to "speed up my PC" with some crapware service they're peddling. But you can choose to not install that junk thank goodness. These are the revenue streams they are using to justify their freeware product. Just use the CUSTOM installation and deselect all the crapware that comes with it in the first install step. In the second install step, be sure and select Do Not Accept and things install fine and nothing adware related will install on your machine. Barring this, it's awesome and very very easy to use.
    See attachment images.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 11-17-12 at 05:04 PM.
    11-17-12 04:02 PM
    Go to AnyDvD and download the software. Follow the instructions and make mp4. Load onto PlayBook using windows or BB desktop.
    11-17-12 05:12 PM
    Since I'm a Linux user all I have to do is click on the PB and drop them in
    PowderJockey and jazz_rango like this.
    11-17-12 05:43 PM
    I tried doing exactly what you said. it always just says "format type not supported" Im losing the plot over here. Ive tried for days to load a movie onto my PB and its simply not working. Read pretty much all the threads on here regarding this too...
    01-07-13 12:48 PM
    There are lots of post and step by steps here on Crackberry for using several different programs to rip dvd's and to format video files so they play on the PlayBook. (lack of an ecosystem have force people into it)

Personally I use Handbrake to convert any video files I already have. Someone made some presets that you can load, that are designed for the PlayBook > search Crackberry for Handbrake Presets.

Freemake has a built in option for BlackBerry > PlayBook and it works really well also. But ripping dvd's especially newer ones with different types of copy protection can complicated.
    01-07-13 01:01 PM
    I tried doing exactly what you said. it always just says "format type not supported" Im losing the plot over here. Ive tried for days to load a movie onto my PB and its simply not working. Read pretty much all the threads on here regarding this too...
    You might consider spending 5 bucks and installing Kalemsoft media player from app world. It will play most video files, even those that are not otherwise supported on the Playbook.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    01-07-13 01:20 PM
    How are you moving/copying to the pb? I don't know if DM is more finicky than drag/drop using Win Explorer Or mac version.
    01-07-13 02:59 PM
    I just download them directly to my playbook via the browser, I have found that most formats play on the PlayBook as well. If not any site that streams videos as well is an option. The site I use mos for both is icefilms.info hope that helps.
    01-07-13 05:31 PM
    The easiest and quickest way to load YouTube vids on your PB is to use the android app TubeMate, which needs to be sideloaded (it's not available in app world) The app can be downloaded here- http://goodereader.com/apps/wp-conte...oad.php?id=387 To sideload the app, the easiest way to do it is to first install Google Chrome on your PC, then open Chrome and go here and follow the instructions.- PlayBook App Manager
    I sideloaded that app, but the downloads don't work. How do you use it?
    01-07-13 08:18 PM
    You do a search (magnifying glass icon), tap on the video you want to download, then tap the downward pointing green arrow, then choose Download. The vids get downloaded to SDcard/Video by default (this can be changed in settings) but should still show up in your Videos app.
    01-07-13 09:20 PM
    I think you better off doing a "Copy" and "Paste" from windows Explorer to the Playbook video directory.

I use DVD Cloner to make back ups of my DVDs, and put them in a box in the closet. Thye back up copies are out in the Media room (makes for me not to worry about borrowed discs), then I use Aimersoft Video Converter to convert to MP4 in a Playbook format (YES, there is a setting for the Playbook, and is alot easier than Freemake (IMO). They run about 1 GB each depending on the length of the film. You can compress them, and it will still look fine on the PB, but if you hook of to a large screen tv via HDMI, you might start to see the compression artifacts ("mottling or discoloring in dark areas from the compression process), you can alway see it when you watch regular tv on a HI Def channel, but are showing a not hi def source and you will notice it.

C
    01-08-13 09:06 AM