Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pkcable
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Live TV on the Playbook

Goal: Watch LIVE TV (HD or not) on the Playbook

I've searched around the forums, and haven't found an answer yet.

Basically, I'd like to watch local TV on my Playbook (local being Toronto-area). Now, I was thinking of buying a USB HD Tuner for my computer, and somehow streaming that to my Playbook, but I'm assuming I'd need to be in range or would I be able to access it from anywhere?

Is there any other way to achieve this? I pretty much only want to watch the Leaf games when they're on CBC/TSN, but it would be awesome to actually watch TV on it.

Anyone have any experience at all with getting live TV on the Playbook?
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2AA6XXXX

Well, Cox Cable (US) just released an iOS app for free to subscribers of Cox service. In essence, the app allows you to watch all your cable channels on the iPad. To date, they haven't developed an app for QNS, whic might be a good thing since the app has gotten poor reviews from most iPad owners who downloaded it.
    If You Can Read This, Thank a Teacher...if it's in English, Thank a Soldier

Support: www.woundedwarriorproject.org

We etch these names in granite to stand against time so we and our children can learn and remember.

Global Posts
    33,321 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

I believe both CBC and TSN have webstreaming that should work on the PB. I can't check because I'm in the US, BUT any flash based streaming sites should work. NHL Gamecenter works on it. Also try the following sites, both free and pay....

Live Sport Streams, Football, Soccer, Ice Hockey, Tennis, Basketball / LiveTV
    Wiziwig.tv | Free Live Sports Streams on your PC. Watch Live Football, MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL and more...
    Hockey Streams - Live and Archived hockey games! Watch all the hockey games, preseason games, regular season, post season, drafts, player awards
    spike12 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

TV tuner, sling box, web server?

Let me think about that for a few minutes with this nice hot cup of coffee I have. All that is needed is to turn the live stream coming from the TV capture box to a web stream. Cant be that hard.

Here is one solution but I'm sure there is better (read cheaper).

http://www.nchsoftware.com/broadcam/index.html

Try this list as well. Your going to find why you need here.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-streaming
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 01-06-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    follow my switch from iOS to BlackBerry: http://canadianthomas.wordpress.com/
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    I believe both CBC and TSN have webstreaming that should work on the PB. I can't check because I'm in the US, BUT any flash based streaming sites should work. NHL Gamecenter works on it. Also try the following sites, both free and pay....

Live Sport Streams, Football, Soccer, Ice Hockey, Tennis, Basketball / LiveTV
    Wiziwig.tv | Free Live Sports Streams on your PC. Watch Live Football, MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL and more...
    Hockey Streams - Live and Archived hockey games! Watch all the hockey games, preseason games, regular season, post season, drafts, player awards
    Thanks, those are useful for hockey games.

However, I'm still interested in getting actual live TV. My thought is a TV Tuner on my PC streams to the Playbook and I can watch/control from the Playbook. If that's possible.
    I was reading up on Orb, but I'm a little confused about it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianThomas View Post
    TV tuner, sling box, web server?

Let me think about that for a few minutes with this nice hot cup of coffee I have. All that is needed is to turn the live stream coming from the TV capture box to a web stream. Cant be that hard.
    This is probably exactly what I want/need. I would just like to view the channels I get through my cable TV on my Playbook remotely. Simply put.
    CrackBerry Abuser

jsquadrilla,

CBC does stream the games on their website and it works great! I use firstrowsports.tv for all other games and UFC.
    CrackBerry User

TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again

Here in the UK works perfectly.
    Thanked by:
    SuperAxino (01-06-2012) 
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,199 Global Posts

I watched the finals of the World Juniors Hockey last night through TSN. I think getting hockey games isn't a big deal between TSN and CBC.

Rogers on Demand has some live stuff, but not much.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

I think some people are misunderstanding. I'd like to watch my local TV remotely on my Playbook. I understand I can watch CBC streams online for games and there are many other sites I can use as well. But I want to watch actual TV. I've contacted Orb to see if they have a solution, it seems like I need a TV Tuner and some way to connect to my PC from the Playbooks browser like I do with TVersity. I was just hoping someone else has already done all of this.

Global Posts
    33,321 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

I'm pretty sure the PlayBook has an Orb app, do a search at App World.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

Re read my post. Got it all good for you now. Here again is the links.

Video Streaming - VideoHelp.com Downloads
    Nice choice of solutions.

http://www.serviio.org/
    My personal choice would be this one.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have a slngbox hooked up to my TV at home. I can watch my TV anywhere in the world. Slingbox must hate Blackberry because there are only a few BB devices I can use to watch my TV. Playbook is not supported. It works with Android tab. But it will not work on OS 2 with an Android app on my Playbook. I would love to find a way to get my Sling to forward anything to my Playbook. I have looked at the links CanadainThomas posted but I dont see anyway to get this to work. Am I missing something? Sling works perfect between my office computer and home computer.
    Torch 9860 Bridged to a Playbook 64G

Beta Zone Member

RIM Investor
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

Quote Originally Posted by baldo View Post
    I have a slngbox hooked up to my TV at home. I can watch my TV anywhere in the world. Slingbox must hate Blackberry because there are only a few BB devices I can use to watch my TV. Playbook is not supported. It works with Android tab. But it will not work on OS 2 with an Android app on my Playbook. I would love to find a way to get my Sling to forward anything to my Playbook. I have looked at the links CanadainThomas posted but I dont see anyway to get this to work. Am I missing something? Sling works perfect between my office computer and home computer.
    With the links I posted, you would plug the video into computer from any source (tv tuner card/box) then stream from PC suing its server, then any DLNA device can play back, like the playbook. it would be replacing the sling box, not working with it.

Sling annoy me with there apps. A web portal would be so much better, I think.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,684 Global Posts

rogers on demand has some stuff :P
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    I'm pretty sure the PlayBook has an Orb app, do a search at App World.
    Nope. It does not but you can watch orb in the browser.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by TheMrsPipe View Post
    TVCatchup - Never Miss A Show Again

Here in the UK works perfectly.
    I consistently have issues with the sound getting out of sync with the picture. The longer i watch the worse it gets.

Did you do anything special to fix this? I googled it and plenty of other people have had the same issue with the Playbook.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM me

Quote Originally Posted by majorusa View Post
    Nope. It does not but you can watch orb in the browser.
    well, maybe its a launcher but I have an app from app world that says orb, for my playbook.

BUT, it sucks bad.