You're on it theruined! Good work
    I try ...omw home soon, should get that video up in an hr or two...
    04-08-11 12:15 AM
    Very sweet. It would be nice if you could confirm the Silverlight support for us, but I guess we can always wait till the launch. =P

Btw, I've only learned that the top-left corner is for message notifications. What are the other corners for?

Bottom left is keyboard show/hide
    Bottom right I forget...I'll try and remember...
    Top Right is Options menu
    Top Left - Notifications
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    04-08-11 12:18 AM
    As for the lock screen you press the power button for a sec to lock and to unlock you can either press the power button again of swype from the left or right side of the bezel to unlock. That how I was showed at a Blackberry employee training event a week ago. Hope this answer the question
    AutoPilot2020 likes this.
    04-08-11 01:18 AM
    As for the lock screen you press the power button for a sec to lock and to unlock you can either press the power button again of swype from the left or right side of the bezel to unlock. That how I was showed at a Blackberry employee training event a week ago. Hope this answer the question
    Thanks Sirhil! very useful - now if we could only get a pic!

Ok guys I went ahead and updated my original post on Page 1 to include most everything we covered here...if I missed something please let me know. I will add more stuff as I remember it and I will post the link to my video in roughly 1 hour!
    04-08-11 02:07 AM
    Video added to the long first post - check it out!
    bighap likes this.
    04-08-11 03:14 AM
    I think outside of business use it wouldn't be very useful until wireless sync with wifi enabled TV's/Projectors is possible
    I disagree on this one. If RIM can market this feature to average consumers it can generate a lot of interest.
    1. As far as I know, this feature is only available on the PB.
    2. True multitasking as close as it gets.

Say you were streaming a movie thru the HDMI to your HDTV with a bunch of friends/family. Then you receive an urgent email or bbm. You wouldn't need to pause the movie and head out of the app to reply the email/bbm. With presenter mode, everyone can enjoy whatever is on the big screen, while you can do whatever you want on the PB screen, maybe you need to do a quick search on the browser, or fire up another app. And if you're worried about a short HDMI cable, monoprice.com has some cheap, long micro HDMI to HDMI cables for around $5-$7. Sure the wire may be in the way a little, but I don't mind.

Presenter mode just shows how powerful the PB is running with QNX. With all the critics out there having doubts on QNX because its 'unproven', this should definitely clear up some bad air.
    04-08-11 03:21 AM
    I disagree on this one. If RIM can market this feature to average consumers it can generate a lot of interest.
    1. As far as I know, this feature is only available on the PB.
    2. True multitasking as close as it gets.

Say you were streaming a movie thru the HDMI to your HDTV with a bunch of friends/family. Then you receive an urgent email or bbm. You wouldn't need to pause the movie and head out of the app to reply the email/bbm. With presenter mode, everyone can enjoy whatever is on the big screen, while you can do whatever you want on the PB screen, maybe you need to do a quick search on the browser, or fire up another app. And if you're worried about a short HDMI cable, monoprice.com has some cheap, long micro HDMI to HDMI cables for around $5-$7. Sure the wire may be in the way a little, but I don't mind.

Presenter mode just shows how powerful the PB is running with QNX. With all the critics out there having doubts on QNX because its 'unproven', this should definitely clear up some bad air.
    I wasn't saying it's not practical...an HDMI cable isn't longer than a few feet which essentially means you're going to be stuck by your TV or projector...I mean not literally stuck to it, but near by...

wireless sync will certainly expand it's capabilities
    04-08-11 03:28 AM
    Video Cables - Micro-HDMI/HDMI

Never knew 15ft meant so little. Don't get me wrong, of course wireless would be way better, but for the time being paying a couple bucks for some wire should get the job done.
    04-08-11 03:35 AM
    YES: full DLNA support would be great: HOST and CLIENT!

Owning DLNA hifi and tv (both wifi) already...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-11 03:39 AM
    Video Cables - Micro-HDMI/HDMI

Never knew 15ft meant so little. Don't get me wrong, of course wireless would be way better, but for the time being paying a couple bucks for some wire should get the job done.
    There are 50ft cables...the point is, I don't want cables...

Plus longer = lowered picture quality imo
    04-08-11 04:00 AM
    Plus longer = lowered picture quality imo
    B*llsh*t HDMI is a digital cable, the only thing a longer cable can do is 'lose' a 1 or 0, which translates as a 0.0001 ms 'glitch' in your movie.

However, it is of course still an valid point to not want a long cable running through your house
    04-08-11 04:49 AM
    Wow I watched the videos and once Qnx comes to hh apple and android are in trouble no dought about it really there is nothing else the bb needs
    04-08-11 05:13 AM
    Haha...all the devices were locked down, but I played with a rep's PB probably at the beginning of the event, and then again 2.5 hours later...I could tell you I saw the same one go down maybe 2%.

I kept asking for specs - as we know its a 5300mAh battery...doing some quick math leaves me to think it can last 24-36 hrs idle and 12-14 hrs live...

Of course, it all depends on how rigorous your usage is. When I asked the more technical rep he noted that "I never feel pinched", briskly implying it will last a while on one charge - I'm guessing at least 8-12hrs

But they're still working on optimizing it via the OS

And durability...I actually did take a key to the screen when no one was looking (which was almost never) and i really leaned into this thing...didn't scratch or dent and the screen didn't give at all (which is why I really think this is Gorilla Glass!)
    My Question????
    04-08-11 06:11 AM
    It would be sweet if you could control the presentation with your blackberry phone since your playbook could be plugged into a HDMI cable that is not in a convenient place. Perhaps it could even display your notes on the blackberry screen.
    04-08-11 07:29 AM
    Superb job updating the first post!!!!!! Great work at the event also!!!!! Now I REALLY can't wait till I get to go on the 14th!
    04-08-11 08:32 AM
    Were you able to try out Netflix? That seems to be a burning question around here
    04-08-11 08:37 AM
    I wasn't saying it's not practical...an HDMI cable isn't longer than a few feet which essentially means you're going to be stuck by your TV or projector...I mean not literally stuck to it, but near by...

wireless sync will certainly expand it's capabilities
    Have you seen Monoprice. The longest 1.4a rated cable is 25'. That is a pretty good length.
    04-08-11 09:03 AM
    I still don't understand the reason for having these events and not trying to flood them with people. Seems like they are wasting resources. Also seems like from a few of the comments that management seems a little out of touch with the marketing/sales people. The Playbook does look amazing though.
    04-08-11 09:10 AM
    "PB package was confirmed today - you get a NEOPRENE case, screen wipe, HDMI cable, Charger, and of course a PlayBook!"

I've never purchased an electronics item (and I've bought many) that came with any type of case. Very classy on RIM's part!

Thanks for your update and video!!!
    Intosh and pozi240 like this.
    04-08-11 10:08 AM
    well done anyone have a pic of the NEOPRENE case?
    04-08-11 10:19 AM
    Were you able to try out Netflix? That seems to be a burning question around here
    Im very curious about this as well, but seeing as you can log into netflix via your browser on a laptop or pc and instant stream, i honestly don't see why you wouldn't be able to go to netflix.com via the pb and instant stream... it is after all uncompromisable web browsing..
    04-08-11 10:21 AM
    A Cable sweet.

Neoprene case- It is posted in one of the other LA threads. Or at the beginning of this one. I am lost. Is it the 19th yet. I sure hope mine comes before Good Friday. It is being shipped to my office and we are closed on Good Friday.
    04-08-11 10:22 AM
    its nice..great news though...i wont have to buy a case now so i can upgrad eto the 32gig
    04-08-11 10:27 AM
    Great Post!
    04-08-11 10:57 AM
    "PB package was confirmed today - you get a NEOPRENE case, screen wipe, HDMI cable, Charger, and of course a PlayBook!"

I've never purchased an electronics item (and I've bought many) that came with any type of case. Very classy on RIM's part!

Thanks for your update and video!!!
    so the playbook comes packaged with a case and an hdmi cable ? if so thats F'N AMAZING !
    04-08-11 11:10 AM
132 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD