Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By dieudos
  • 4 Post By Bla1ze
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Are the lights on in Waterloo?

Hello Mike L

What's up with this 2.0 stuff...are you on the ball?
    First you said summer, then it became following DEVCON (I understand the loose language in the word following), but, you made a promise!
    I am sure by now, I hope, you have noticed how your customers are mad and many are abandoning ship. Are you concerned at all?
    Come out, man up and say something smart. Assuage the anger and fear. There is no reason as this moment for anyone sane to buy a PB. Why would they?
    So, Mike, give them a reason. Show and tell why the Blackberry PlayBook and RIM for that matter is still relevant.
    We are waiting.
    F2 and chasvs like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by dieudos View Post
    Hello Mike L

What's up with this 2.0 stuff...are you on the ball?
    First you said summer, then it became following DEVCON (I understand the loose language in the word following), but, you made a promise!
    I am sure by now, I hope, you have noticed how your customers are mad and many are abandoning ship. Are you concerned at all?
    Come out, man up and say something smart. Assuage the anger and fear. There is no reason as this moment for anyone sane to buy a PB. Why would they?
    So, Mike, give them a reason. Show and tell why the Blackberry PlayBook and RIM for that matter is still relevant.
    We are waiting.
    Mike is having trouble getting your message mate--- he is having some issues with downgrading from PB OS2.0 to 1.3.7........ and is kinda lost ......

I am guessing he is spending his time 'watering' his 'loo' , he better get that one going good- thats all he will be left with soon if something is not done about rolling out PB OS2.0.
    Last edited by anindoc; 10-25-2011 at 12:53 PM.
    CrackBerry User

If you think customers are unhappy with RIM, imagine being a shareholder. Its why I don't believe Mike or Jim will be at the helm much longer. Money talks and they are no longer cutting it.

They allowed the Kindle Fire to hijack RIM's hardware, integrate an incredible ecosystem (one that is arguably superior to Apple) and drastically cut the price. Ahhh RIM, what could have been.....
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ryork272 View Post
    If you think customers are unhappy with RIM, imagine being a shareholder. Its why I don't believe Mike or Jim will be at the helm much longer. Money talks and they are no longer cutting it.

They allowed the Kindle Fire to hijack RIM's hardware, integrate an incredible ecosystem (one that is arguably superior to Apple) and drastically cut the price. Ahhh RIM, what could have been.....

Well... i am a shareholder. I bought when i thought the stock was underpriced... and when Balsillie was still talking about changing directions and tuning the company around.

Well... nothing changed but the stock price which is 40% lower now than when I bought it. Another slap in the shareholder's face was the ceo's just rudely canceling a meeting with a big shareholder.

The beauty, and rim's last hope, is that jim and mike arent owners of the company.... they sit at positions elected by shareholders.

Up until this devcon situation i held out hope those two could still pull it off. Thats not possible now... if we dont have them replaced, or the company isnt bought out (hopefully by microsoft, not google) its all over.

Thats what im hoping.... is that the shareholders, already having shelved a coup since mike and jim said "not so fast! we will do better, we promise!" will get fed up and say "you had your chance, out!!!"

Guys... im sorry... at this point its not just bad luck, or ill fated business decisions.... it is blatant incompetence.

Wanna see anger? Imagine the BGR story being true...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by kb5zht View Post
    Well... i am a shareholder. I bought when i thought the stock was underpriced... and when Balsillie was still talking about changing directions and tuning the company around.

Well... nothing changed but the stock price which is 40% lower now than when I bought it. Another slap in the shareholder's face was the ceo's just rudely canceling a meeting with a big shareholder.

The beauty, and rim's last hope, is that jim and mike arent owners of the company.... they sit at positions elected by shareholders.

Up until this devcon situation i held out hope those two could still pull it off. Thats not possible now... if we dont have them replaced, or the company isnt bought out (hopefully by microsoft, not google) its all over.

Thats what im hoping.... is that the shareholders, already having shelved a coup since mike and jim said "not so fast! we will do better, we promise!" will get fed up and say "you had your chance, out!!!"

Guys... im sorry... at this point its not just bad luck, or ill fated business decisions.... it is blatant incompetence.

This thread will be closed shortly as CB tries to prevent the PB or RIM from being exposed any further as a failure, but with that said....RIM as a company is facing a huge shareholder revolt. Their burn rate through their cash and the shrinking share of the domestic market is going to be very disconcerting to the shareholders during the next earnings call. Plus, they keep putting out half-backed, under-spec'd products. The upcoming spring/summer will be the emergence on a mainstream level of LTE devices. Apple is already in the testing phase. RIM will be at least a year behind its competitors....the reaper is closing in on Jim and Mike...
    CrackBerry Genius

This thread will be closed shortly as CB tries to prevent the PB or RIM from being exposed any further as a failure
    Heh, you noticed whats been happening since the recent rim news hit the fan huh...

CrackBerry Addict

Heh, you noticed whats been happening since the recent rim news hit the fan huh...

Yep...the effort to kill the stories on RIM's failings is unbelievable. Everywhere you turn, you see "closed thread".

Global Posts
    32,969 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

JUST for the record you are welcome to discuss the RUMOR!!!! in this thread....

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...bruary-664334/

How many threads on that one topic do we need? And it's JUST a rumor anyways! The sky is not falling!
    CrackBerry Genius

Unfortunately since Jim and Mike are such large shareholders they control enough shares to vote themselves and their ideas in at every meeting. Until they want to leave, they are not going anywhere. A buyout (that they will have to sign off on ) it RIMs only positive future possibility.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by OMGitworks View Post
    Unfortunately since Jim and Mike are such large shareholders they control enough shares to vote themselves and their ideas in at every meeting. Until they want to leave, they are not going anywhere. A buyout (that they will have to sign off on ) it RIMs only positive future possibility.

Ouch, I wasnt aware of that.
    And... generally, when management has a stake in the company- i.e., owning large portions of stock- it is a good thing, as their own best interests are at heart when it comes to making business decisions... whereas those just making a salary could care less.

However, in this case... i guess it doesnt apply. I know they see the numbers... market share dwindling, stock falling, cash stockpiles eroding.... are they just ignorant so as to not know why?

CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    JUST for the record you are welcome to discuss the RUMOR!!!! in this thread....

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...bruary-664334/

How many threads on that one topic do we need? And it's JUST a rumor anyways! The sky is not falling!
    Well i say that but there is a humorously titled thread #occupyteamblackberry that discuss the rumor and it wasnt closed. Interesting... it was denouncing it.

CrackBerry Genius

Ouch, I wasnt aware of that.
    And... generally, when management has a stake in the company- i.e., owning large portions of stock- it is a good thing, as their own best interests are at heart when it comes to making business decisions... whereas those just making a salary could care less.

However, in this case... i guess it doesnt apply. I know they see the numbers... market share dwindling, stock falling, cash stockpiles eroding.... are they just ignorant so as to not know why?

Yep, they are the 2 biggest single shareholders:
    Balsillie (James L) 26.7M $1,182,581,272 5.1%

Lazaridis (Michael) 26.5M $1,174,080,672 5.1%

Want to bet that the key to controlling corporate action is triggered at around 10%??

I think it is a case of a great duo that started a great company but can no longer deal with their baby. It happens all the time to tech companies. The same hubris and bravado that built a great company can be its downfall. Think Yahoo and AOL among many, many other tech companies. I guess it doesn't matter if you are a billionaire or a $2 billionaire so what they do they care if the stock price got cut in half?
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by OMGitworks View Post
    This isn't true, their combined stake is nowhere near enough to save themselves.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

i think the lights are on

... it's just blinding them
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know

Why are there two threads with this subject line?

Global Posts
    32,969 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

Well i say that but there is a humorously titled thread #occupyteamblackberry that discuss the rumor and it wasnt closed. Interesting... it was denouncing it.

I was laughing to hard too find the close button for that thread. It was clearly a joke I thought a little humor was ok. Sue me!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb-bandit View Post
    This thread will be closed shortly as CB tries to prevent the PB or RIM from being exposed any further as a failure, but with that said....

....the reaper is closing in on Jim and Mike...
    It will be closed because there are so many threads like this already. And adding fuel to the fire are comments like yours.

But anyway, I read so many "Mike and Jim suck" threads. Really? Hasn't his company been a success? They must be doing something right. They are a public company, Mike/Jim would have been outed as CEO's long ago if they weren't doing something right (see HP/Leo A).

All companies have their ups and downs, and all make their mistakes. If there were a single "right" thing to do, don't you think every company would succeed? They will get it right eventually. It may get worse before it gets better, but hopefully it eventually gets better. To make another reference: see Microsoft and how they are getting back into the mobile biz...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack93117 View Post
    Why are there two threads with this subject line?
    The threads are totally different. They only thing they have in common are the words: in, on, the, are, Waterloo, lights.

So it's obvious these threads are not related.

Just like my words about you: a, are, weirdo, you.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal83 View Post
    This isn't true, their combined stake is nowhere near enough to save themselves.

well... I dont know how accurate 10.2% is (5.1% apiece), but assuming OMGiW is correct, that is potent... 5% is considered "controlling interest" simply because, as is the nature of the stock market, The hundreds of thousands of shareholders that collectively own a company individually dont have much influence.... it takes so many together cast a vote that changes policy that anybody, or institution such as an investment firm, that can get over 5% of the vote is a force to be reckoned with.
    ============================

Please, God, for another day grant me
    the wisdom to know the difference.

============================
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

It gets much more bizarre now. The brains in Waterloo have just made an announcement that the upgrade to 2.0 won't be released until Feb 2012. While I stand totally shocked and awed by the decision, I also feel suckered. The kind of thing that happens when you buy into another's dream. The Mike L show obviously continues and we are the suckers who have bought the ticket. We cannot leave the show because we want to get our money's worth no matter how ridiculous the show is.
    So now we wait until the last guy leaves Waterloo and turns down the lights...soon.
    CrackBerry User

man..i love my blackberry device. bought the playbook since launch date, but it does make me kinda mad to find out the update is delayed again. the os update would of increase sale during the busy holiday. rim messed up. i tired the beta for a couple days and i liked it. things seems to run alot better on 2.0. reason i reverted back is becuase of the bridge. rim...please give me something to keep continuing to keep my playbook. 8 or more of my friends bought the playbook because i told them os 2.0 is out soon and it offers all the goodies. they all have android and iphones...so bbm is a seller to them. thats what they want on the playbook and more apps, which is where the android apps comes in. now they're thinking about selling it and going with an ipad 2 or 3 and the samsung galaxy tabs. how sad. i feel like a jackass for assuming it. i guess i shouldnt have said that they were releasing it soon. oh well.
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    11,712 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb-bandit View Post
    This thread will be closed shortly as CB tries to prevent the PB or RIM from being exposed any further as a failure
    Not really, threads get closed because many people can't stop crapping in their own back yard and the majority of us are simply tired of seeing the same old nonsense posted over and over because everyone on the internet seems to want to fight about the size of their ePenis and acts their shoe size more then their age.

That said; RIM is doing quite a fine job on their own -- they don't need any help from PlayBook owners or haters seemingly.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    Thanked by 4:
    howarmat (10-25-2011),  John Yester (10-25-2011),  Michelle Haag (10-25-2011),  pkcable (10-25-2011) 

Quote Originally Posted by anindoc View Post
    Mike is having trouble getting your message mate--- he is having some issues with downgrading from PB OS2.0 to 1.3.7........ and is kinda lost ......

I am guessing he is spending his time 'watering' his 'loo' , he better get that one going good- thats all he will be left with soon if something is not done about rolling out PB OS2.0.
    If he were not so oblivious he would be watering in his pants at this point. UUga, UUga, abandon ship.
    Last edited by F2; 10-25-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Just imagine! Go out hiking and see what happens. The last time news turned around this much, I came out of a hike and found Nixon resigned. Maybe I should go again tomorrow and see if the ceo's resign.
    CrackBerry Genius

well... I dont know how accurate 10.2% is (5.1% apiece), but assuming OMGiW is correct, that is potent... 5% is considered "controlling interest" simply because, as is the nature of the stock market, The hundreds of thousands of shareholders that collectively own a company individually dont have much influence.... it takes so many together cast a vote that changes policy that anybody, or institution such as an investment firm, that can get over 5% of the vote is a force to be reckoned with.
    That info is from CNCB. I did a very brief look and it appears that up in Canada, 5.0% makes you a controlling shareholder and gives you certain rights, so 5.1% is certainly no accident. RIM also has a poison pill defense against a takeover. I also understand that Mike is on some sort of provincial gov't board pushing for more anti-takeover laws and that Canada is likely to block any attempt to take over RIM? This is all a very bad combo and means that they will be around for as long as they want. There is some company Jaguar Financial that seeme to be pushing them around a little and knows how to operate within the Canadian securities system so there is a glimmer of hope.

On the bright side, we may be unhappy about the 2.0 news but RIMM is down (about) another $1 today so they each lost another $26 M or so.... Pocket change for them but at least they suffering just a bit.