Um. We live in the future here. Products ship unfinished all the time. The fact that almost all software (devices included) these days is in-field upgradeable is a testament to that fact.
    Funny that didn't happen with any of my Macs or my iPad or my iPhone.

That may be RIM's way of doing things and we all see where they are.........upgradeable and unfinished are TWO COMPLETELY different categories.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 09-19-11 at 05:47 AM.
    09-19-11 05:45 AM
    Um. We live in the future here. Products ship unfinished all the time. The fact that almost all software (devices included) these days is in-field upgradeable is a testament to that fact.

That may be RIM's way of doing things and we all see where they are.........upgradeable and unfinished are TWO COMPLETELY different categories.
    C'MON ... stop kids games.
    09-19-11 05:54 AM
    - Messaging (incl. BBM)*
    This is a bit misleading. As far as I can tell Messaging is available only via the bridge and only for BBM.

For instance, there's no Google Talk app and just a barely usable web version where you can see what you type only in portrait mode.

There's no Yahoo Messenger app and the web version isn't working (at least not for me).

Granted, the mobile version of the Hotmail messenger works fine.

I'd say the Playbook does poorly on messaging.
    09-19-11 07:07 AM
    To give you a clue why ipads are outselling Playbooks try walking into best buy and see what they will say when you tell them that you want to buy a tablet. Second after listening to the sales guy trying to stuff a ipad down your throat walk over to the playbook and you will probably find it off, or with wifi disconnected. Then you will find the guy does not know anything about it. The other thing is that nobody updates the OS on the store models either. So some of them still have the newer features missing. Best buy is a disgrace to Blackberry to say the least. Walmart could do a better job

WRONG!!!!

This "well, it's not displayed correctly and it's demo unit doesn't work, this is why it doesn't sell". This CAN'T be more wrong.

Why does the ASUS Transformer sell well? I have NEVER seen a commercial or a display unit anywhere, yet it's shipped and sold more than Playbook. What is the excuse now?

The amount of blame on Best Buy for the dismal sales is astounding.
    09-19-11 07:11 AM
    This is a bit misleading. As far as I can tell Messaging is available only via the bridge and only for BBM.

For instance, there's no Google Talk app and just a barely usable web version where you can see what you type only in portrait mode.

There's no Yahoo Messenger app and the web version isn't working (at least not for me).

Granted, the mobile version of the Hotmail messenger works fine.

I'd say the Playbook does poorly on messaging.
    * was for BBphone users; messaging for BBM&Hotmail, you're right.
    09-19-11 07:23 AM

That's cause Macs are so basic. I can rant for a while about all the "features" other OSes have that stomp over OS X. The people that get the "most" out of Macs are the ones that don't know much about computers and are the ones that won't take the time to learn or are afraid of them, in my experience. RIM puts a lot of effort into their phones. That BB phones "core" have more function than IOS, un jailbroken. Take iMessage, is that gonna be BBM light? Yes it will, unfinished and half baked!

Do I really want a phone that an 80 year old uses? I sure hope I have a different use profile LOL!

Just for the record which phone will stop working when simply holding it in the hand???
    Is that what you mean by finished??? Sorry can't hear you
    09-19-11 07:32 AM
    Thats funny I am a Systems Analyst in my states largest hospital. So i guess I know nothing about computers.....:roll eyes:

FYI iMessage runs circles around BBM been using it since iOS 5 beta has dropped. Enjoy your battery pulls.

If you had a clue about how much software engineering goes into OSX........

And please tell me the features other OS's have.......BSODs are nice feature, incompatible drivers another great feature, fragmenting the crap out of your hard drive GREAT feature and then making you PAY out your ARSE for a new OS another great feature.

My phone has NEVER stopped working by holding it in my hand

Truncated email is awesome buy a BB. Let me know how your forward a truncated email.....?

The FACT is the PB was unfinished and all of you have been duped into becoming a beat tester for QNX why do you think you have NO native email? It is common knowledge that QNX has issues with BIS and BES.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 09-19-11 at 07:54 AM.
    09-19-11 07:46 AM
    If you had a clue about how much software engineering goes into OSX........

And please tell me the features other OS's have.......BSODs are nice feature, incompatible drivers another great feature, fragmenting the crap out of your hard drive GREAT feature and then making you PAY out your ARSE for a new OS another great feature.

"Apple sells more iPads in two days than RIM sells in a whole quarter," BGC Financial analyst Colin Gillis said.
    You know, there's a subtle (and ironic) inconsistency in your message.

Your signature suggests that high volume is an indicator of quality.

Your message sings praises to OS X. Yet OS X has a very small market share.

Why use a double standard?

PS: I routinely use three computers: a Vista Ultimate laptop, a Windows 7 desktop (on which I also have a Linux VM) and a OS X (Lion) laptop. Neither BSODs. In fact I cannot remember the last time I had to reboot a computer due to an OS crash. Neither has driver problems or incompatibilies (including my ancient PCI Audigy Platinum 2 Ex sound card, which works fine). Neither really fragments the filesystem, I routinely check. But for sure, the OS X laptop is the most awkward one to use. It's an OS with a solid BSD core (not written by Apple) but a graphical UI designed with one mantra: to be different from Windows. And since Windows has evolved a lot and gotten pretty good at what it does, doing your best to be different results in clumsy, occasionally incredibily unintuitive operation in which most simple things take longer to do.
    Last edited by symphara; 09-19-11 at 08:22 AM.
    09-19-11 08:12 AM
    [...] why do you think you have NO native email? [...]
    Because it was designed for !
    Why ? C'mon, you know why :

1/ Sell BB Phone (I'm not stupid)
    2/ Accurate security (and dammit, I want this)
    3/ Free yourself of another costly 3G+ plan (BBBridge)

As an advised health S.I professional you claim to be, "privacy" and "mastered costs" should be your ABC (�2 and 3). So why do you talk about blahblahOS and outdated disk fragmentation concerns ?

Ipads and Iphones are now head of shelf and this will change interest hackers will have (OSX was not a target with +/- 5% of the market) ... Read the news ...

For me mail/contacts/agenda stand alone is a minus point for the PB and I sincerly hope we can have the capabilities to not/un install these features.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    09-19-11 09:33 AM
    You know, there's a subtle (and ironic) inconsistency in your message.

Your signature suggests that high volume is an indicator of quality.

Your message sings praises to OS X. Yet OS X has a very small market share.

Why use a double standard?

PS: I routinely use three computers: a Vista Ultimate laptop, a Windows 7 desktop (on which I also have a Linux VM) and a OS X (Lion) laptop. Neither BSODs. In fact I cannot remember the last time I had to reboot a computer due to an OS crash. Neither has driver problems or incompatibilies (including my ancient PCI Audigy Platinum 2 Ex sound card, which works fine). Neither really fragments the filesystem, I routinely check. But for sure, the OS X laptop is the most awkward one to use. It's an OS with a solid BSD core (not written by Apple) but a graphical UI designed with one mantra: to be different from Windows. And since Windows has evolved a lot and gotten pretty good at what it does, doing your best to be different results in clumsy, occasionally incredibily unintuitive operation in which most simple things take longer to do.
    I actually had a lengthy post ready to send but I say yours is a little more to the point.
    Although I did have a problem loading windows 7 in VMware Fusion this morning and started off later tan I wanted to it was a disk space issue on the iMac. Sure Macs look nice but they for sure are form over function. Just select 2 or more files on OSX and see if the Finder shows the combined file size.

Also if this guy is a systems analyst he would have an appreciation of the software Engineering it would take to migrate BES/BIS over to QNX. If he is I question his ability.

Oh and why did Apple send out those bumpers again. Its the result of poor design. If you look hard enough everything has faults. Try to find a solution that works for you and all will be good!
    Last edited by dentynefire; 09-19-11 at 09:42 AM.
    09-19-11 09:38 AM

Really? The original iPhone had about a 5 hour battery life, it couldn't last a work day on one charge. The iPhone4 had the antenna problem of holding it too tight and users were offered free rubber cases or told to use tape on the frame. Also before a software update, iPhone4's were dropping calls when held too close to the face on its touch screen interface by accidentally touching end call. I would call both of those devices incomplete and even upgrades didn't fix them completely. Yet iPhone4 is the best selling phone ever? Can't make it up, but true! lol

As for Mac's, they are just fine out of the box, but much more difficult to even attempt to upgrade unless you are very knowledgable in assembling and reassembling Macs. PC's can be upgraded fairly easily whether its extra RAM cards, HD's, etc. any PC probably can upgraded by simply watching a Youtube video and getting the right parts for it.

Also I noticed you list only Apple products on you list of devices, so why are you here on Crackberry on a Playbook forum? I am not saying you are not welcome here or anything, but if you are just gonna troll and say how great Apple products are and how much you hate RIM products (that you prob never used), whats the point?

If you have something to share with the beta iOS5 on iPhones and iPads, I would luv to read more about that. Thats actually useful posting. Also it points to differences in upgrades between what is rumored on the PB v2.0 and what really is on iOS5...
    09-19-11 01:53 PM
    I still don't get this concept, I see so many people on these forums (even on playbook forums) who used to have BB and moved to Android/iPhone (most never owned playbook) years ago but still feel the need to come on CB/PB forum and flame BB and playbook (these people also are the most active and post in almost every thread). Personally the day I give up on BB/PB is the day I would stop using CB.

So are you going to keep posting negative stuff about our PlayBrick or let us enjoy it?
    From a different thread, but same thing, not sure what the urge is for people to keep posting on CB when they don't like the BB products and already left for Android/Apple products?
    09-22-11 02:18 PM
    I'd like to add a note about the build quality of the Playbook. The first thing that struck me about it, the moment that I took it out of its box, was the quality of construction; this thing is built like a tank! Simply carrying it around (admittedly in a smart leather cover) makes me feel like the MD of some high-powered corporation or the other
    09-22-11 08:01 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD