Quick question here and hoping you can help.

Shaw is my ISP. When I set email up on my Torch 9800, it set it up automatically as a POP3 account. Perfect, there's an option to leave messages on the server. Just what I want.

When let the PlayBook set up the account automatically, it sets it up to use Shaw's "webmail" email server which uses some horrendous "sync" crap so whenever I delete an email I can't later receive it on my desktop (Outlook, POP3).

So, I deleted the account from the PlayBook and set it up manually as a POP3 account. But I still can't find the setting anywhere to "leave a copy of the message on the server". This renders the PlayBook pretty much useless for email.

Thanks.
    01-06-13 02:49 PM
    I don't really follow how it leaves the PB "useless" for email. If you want the the messages to be remain on the server, just don't delete them from your PB. And if you don't want the messages to remain in your PB's Inbox, then just move the messages to another folder- they'll stay on the server and won't show in your inbox.
    01-06-13 03:28 PM
    I don't really follow how it leaves the PB "useless" for email. If you want the the messages to be remain on the server, just don't delete them from your PB. And if you don't want the messages to remain in your PB's Inbox, then just move the messages to another folder- they'll stay on the server and won't show in your inbox.
    This is what I do until I have them saved in Outlook then delete after a few days or weeks depending on the importance of the message
    01-06-13 03:34 PM
    Because as soon as the PlayBook checks the email, the message is downloaded from the server and no longer available for Outlook to download at home. That's why I want the option to leave a copy of the message on the server.

I can just see BB10 no longer supporting POP3 connections...
    01-06-13 03:45 PM
    Because as soon as the PlayBook checks the email, the message is downloaded from the server and no longer available for Outlook to download at home. That's why I want the option to leave a copy of the message on the server.

I can just see BB10 no longer supporting POP3 connections...
    I use Outlook at the office and my messages are always there despite picking them up on my PB first. Let me look at my settings and get back to you and see if there is something you can do to change it
    01-06-13 04:02 PM
    Because you're probably not using POP3 at the office.
    01-06-13 04:19 PM
    Because you're probably not using POP3 at the office.
    Two POP3 accounts and one IMAP from our website actually. I went thru all the settings I could find and the help pages too. Not sure why it works actually now. It just does. Ahh, the magic of BB. I'll keep looking. There HAS to be a setting or something. Been doing off my PB for a year and a half now.
    01-06-13 04:44 PM
    Did you try setting the accounts up as IMAP? Reading through some other similar posts that could be the way to do it. I sorta remember something about that when I first set mine up but as I said earlier its been quite awhile ago when I did it
    01-06-13 04:55 PM
    My ISP doesn't support IMAP.

Isn't IMAP just working off the server? ie, delete from one device, it's gone from all? I don't want my email stored on the ISP's server, I like downloading it all to my desktop.
    01-06-13 05:05 PM
    I thought I had a similar problem. I use Windows live mail as my main email client. My ISP only uses POP3. I set the accounts up on WLM tol leave messages on the server. If I first. Read message on PB but don't delete it, it will still be on WLM. So when I go to WLM, I just re-read or mark as read. PB mail messages "expire" after 30 days, so they will be deleted off hthe server automatically. But i delete a lot of them earlier. Once deleted, they won't show up on WLM. PB has become my junk email manager - delete and they are gone. Gmail can det up as imap. But I use PO. Hotmail/Outlook.com has no imap - uses some sort of exchnge. But it works well with WLM and PB. Once I set this up, I stopped complaining about PB mil
    01-06-13 05:11 PM
    I don't know if you currently have your Shaw mail account set up in the Accounts interface or not, but if you do, delete it.

Select the setup for a new e-mail account. You'll be prompted to enter your e-mail address and password. DO NOT click "continue" in the lower right, but instead tap "Advanced Setup" in the lower left.

You'll be prompted for what type of account; select POP.

You'll go to a page labeled "Account Integration", where you can enter the same settings for POP server and SMTP that you have on your phone.

I just did all of this with a new account at Inbox.com. Intriguingly enough, while there isn't a setting to prevent deleting messages off the server, when I deleted the welcome message off my Playbook it was still visible in the web interface. In other words, it left the message on the server. Not sure if this is peculiar to this provider, but try setting up your Shaw mail using these instructions and see if it helps.
    01-06-13 05:16 PM
    That's exactly what I had done. At first, the "auto setup" detected the Shaw Webmail service as the service to use so I scrapped that and did it all manually. Port numbers, server names, etc..

No option to "leave on server".

Interestingly, I logged into my Bell BIS settings page for emails. The Shaw account is set up as a POP account, but there is no option to leave a copy on the server, yet emails remain on the server even after they've been pushed out to my phone. If I delete them from my phone, I get the option to either delete from the phone only or delete from both the phone and inbox.

So it appears that the default (and perhaps only) configuration for BIS is to simply download a copy of the email from the server and push it out to the phone. (Until you choose to delete from server).
    01-06-13 05:38 PM
    That's exactly what I had done. At first, the "auto setup" detected the Shaw Webmail service as the service to use so I scrapped that and did it all manually. Port numbers, server names, etc..

No option to "leave on server".

Interestingly, I logged into my Bell BIS settings page for emails. The Shaw account is set up as a POP account, but there is no option to leave a copy on the server, yet emails remain on the server even after they've been pushed out to my phone. If I delete them from my phone, I get the option to either delete from the phone only or delete from both the phone and inbox.

So it appears that the default (and perhaps only) configuration for BIS is to simply download a copy of the email from the server and push it out to the phone. (Until you choose to delete from server).
    I THINK that's the case, but I'd experiment with it a bit to make sure.

One thing I've noticed with the Playbook is that if you have it configured for IMAP or Exchange, it will not keep ALL e-mail, just messages within a certain interval (and that's adjustable--defaults to a week). Would it work to set the Playbook to be an IMAP client, and just don't delete? Older messages will be automatically purged, but you could always search for them.
    01-06-13 05:47 PM