Has anyone had a chance to try this yet?

Very curious, this "should" remove the Bluetooth speed bottleneck with the
    web browser, can be tested at speedtest.net
    11-25-11 02:09 PM
    the hotspot should work and give you better speeds over the bluetooth aslong as your cell connection is good and you have faster than 3 MBs speed. But the bridge will still use bluetooth i believe.
    Last edited by howarmat; 11-25-11 at 02:21 PM.
    11-25-11 02:16 PM
    I just installed this new leak on my 9900 and WIFI Hotspot is working!!! The only thing that no longer works is bluetooth "internet tethering" but Bridge is working with no problems!
    11-30-11 04:23 PM
    Ive done it as well and I love how fast my playbook was, I was expecting the same speed but it was actually way faster
    11-30-11 05:46 PM
    cool, i was wondering about this myself. Bridge is a great idea, but if I don't need the added benefits of bridge and just want a quick web experience, I just want the fastest connection possible. If wifi is it, great!
    11-30-11 11:03 PM
    Can someone explain what they are talking about? I have a 9900 and a PB. If there is wifi available, both devices are connected to wifi. If there is no wifi connection, I can connect to the internet on the PB via the bridge that gives me a bluetooth connection to my 9900, which is connected to the internet via 3G. Why are we talking about wifi hotspot here?
    Thanks.
    12-01-11 02:18 AM
    Can someone explain what they are talking about? I have a 9900 and a PB. If there is wifi available, both devices are connected to wifi. If there is no wifi connection, I can connect to the internet on the PB via the bridge that gives me a bluetooth connection to my 9900, which is connected to the internet via 3G. Why are we talking about wifi hotspot here?
    Thanks.
    I don't know all the specs - maybe someone else can pipe up - but 4G is really fast, wifi is sorta fast, and bluetooth is relatively slow... So, if one can access their really fast 4G over sorta fast wifi, it'll be a better experience than accessing it over relatively slow bluetooth.
    12-01-11 04:23 AM
    Thanks.

If you are not in a WIFI Zone....you can turn your 9900 into a wifi hotspot and basically connect up to 5 devices to your 9900. Using a wifi connection will give you a faster internet connection than using it via bluetooth or "bridge" you will still be connected via bridge but any internet connections will automatically default to your wifi connection which in this case will be off of your 9900 and give you a faster web surfing/downloading experience.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    12-01-11 05:45 AM
    I just noticed that the mobile hotspot only uses the cellular data on the phone. With bridging over bluetooth the connection to the Playbook also uses the wifi on the phone. In other words, you cannot use the mobile hotspot to repeat a wifi signal to the Playbook.

With bridging, you could put the phone where it had a better signal and then connect to the playbook via bluetooth. I used this feature this summer while boating. We were in a pretty rural area and if I put my phone on an upper level of the boat, I could get on the internet with the Playbook when down below in the cabin where the phone didn't work.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-01-11 at 07:21 AM.
    12-01-11 07:18 AM
    Just to confirm it is possible to Bridge and connect to your hotspot at the same time. This way you have full access to all apps and services. Works great.
    12-01-11 07:53 AM
    If you are not in a WIFI Zone....you can turn your 9900 into a wifi hotspot and basically connect up to 5 devices to your 9900. Using a wifi connection will give you a faster internet connection than using it via bluetooth or "bridge" you will still be connected via bridge but any internet connections will automatically default to your wifi connection which in this case will be off of your 9900 and give you a faster web surfing/downloading experience.
    Got it. Thanks.
    12-01-11 07:56 AM
    There's a leaked version already? Where? I can't wait to try it on my 9810.
    12-01-11 08:30 AM
    7.1 is only for the 9900 at this point, hope it spreads soon though.
    12-01-11 08:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD