Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
Like Tree26Likes
  1. kretch's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    407 Posts
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Latest tablet reviews are out

    The latest tablet reviews have been out and boy I'm I confused with how they pick a winner........

    Here are the top 3 tablets in the review.

    #1 The new iPad3
    #2 Microsoft Surface ...... Why is the Surface #2 on the list when it really has no apps? The Playbook got bashed for the last 2 years for this reason.
    #3 Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1


    Here are the catagories that they used to judge.

    Rear Camera - #1 is 5mp - # 2 is 1.2mp - # 3 is 3mp. Hmmmmm... PlayBook tie with 1st place tablet.

    Front Camera - #1 has 0.3mp - # 2 has 1.2mp - # 3 has 0.3mp. Hmmmmm... PlayBook in better than all top 3.

    Battery Life - #1 rated @10 hrs - # 2 Rated @ 8hrs - # 3 Rated @ 10hrs. Hmmmmm... PlayBook tie with 1st and 3rd place tablets.

    Storage size - #1 has 64GB - #2 has 64G - #2 has 32GB. Hmmmmm... PlayBook tie with 1st and 2nd place tablets.

    Processor Speed - #1 has a 1Ghz - #2 has a 1.3Ghz - #3 has a 1Ghz processor. Hmmmmm... PlayBook tie with 1st and 3rd place tablets.

    Processor Cores - #1 has a 2 cores - #2 has a 4 cores - #3 has a 2 cores. Hmmmmm... PlayBook tie with 1st and 3rd place tablets


    The PlayBook placed 9th ........ WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP.......


    You can check outall the reviews here.

    http://tablets-review.toptenreviews.com/
    Last edited by kretch; 12-05-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    "People may not remember exactly what you did or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou
    Thanked by 2:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (12-05-2012),  KOOLWATER (12-06-2012) 
  2. axllebeer's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,813 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,102 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3
    #2  

    Default

    I think you forgot the link to this review.
    Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.

    The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!
  3. #3  

    Default

    The playbook is not rated at 10 hours. I think it was 6-8 according to most tests. the "criteria" seems rather irrelevant IMO. Number of cores doesnt matter if they are 500 ghz compared to 1.5 ghz etc.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    Djlatino and antiRIM like this.
  4. jackpots's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    156 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    You didn't cite the source.

    The PB SoC is about on par with the A5 in iPad2. The A5X while 2x CPU cores second gen Cortex, it has 4x GPU cores, theoretically about 2x better than the 10" iPad2's display.

    PB battery life is rated at about 7.5h if my memory serves me well, and is measured by playing movies back to back, and (I think) with wifi on.

    The PB hw is still great even for an almost 2 year old. The sw eco killed its uptake. Can't say whether the ranking is justified based on the excerpt given.
  5. brianatbb's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Does the OP seriously think the PB ranks anywhere near the iPad3 or Samsung (I know nothing about the Surface) simply because it compares on several of many factors (and mine doesn't come close to 10 hours of battery life in real-time use even with wifi off). If he does, I suggest he head down to the nearest electronics shop and give them a head-to-head try, and he will be quickly disabused of such silly ideas.
    Acer Asprie S755-6832, Playbook, Samsung SII HD LTE, HTC One v
    Thanked by:
    direfan (12-05-2012) 
  6. taz323's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    728 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,381 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianatbb View Post
    Does the OP seriously think the PB ranks anywhere near the iPad3 or Samsung (I know nothing about the Surface) simply because it compares on several of many factors (and mine doesn't come close to 10 hours of battery life in real-time use even with wifi off). If he does, I suggest he head down to the nearest electronics shop and give them a head-to-head try, and he will be quickly disabused of such silly ideas.
    To each his own, done that, and I will stick with the PB, thanks
    sk8er_tor and Toodeurep like this.
  7. seamonky's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Ipad 3 will always win due to media hype. IMO i think it is too awkward to hold and itunes is awful to use. other than that is an ok device for apps, my 3 year old just loves playing on it, just about the only person in the house to use it. The surface suprises me the most as there has been alot of security concerns with it and complaints about the keyboards not standing up to use,so glad i didnt go with my original plan to get one. The samsung is a good device, had the pleasure of setting a family members. I couldnt find any real issues with it.

    I personally think if you consider all factors, the playbook trumps for me, because of ease of use, size and price. It can do mostly all the same things as the 3 listed devices, but cheaper! Sounds quality is 2nd to none and does what i want it to do.

    Which is ultimately the best is down to personal preferance, or as this review was based, who spends the most money on advertising.
    Toodeurep and taz323 like this.
  8. ibpluto's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,186 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    funny that web browsing experience/capabilities (one of the key factors for a tablet), is not listed. My experience with PB vs iPad is that other than the fact the PB is smaller, its a much better browser....which is one of the key points in selecting such a device. My wife has an iPad 3, and the browsing experience leaves here frustrated quite often.

    Apps are gowing, and I figure the current PB's will be upgradeable to BB10 at some point, and the apps list will grow from there.

    I don't get the 9th place either.... PB has never gotten any love
    taz323 and seamonky like this.
  9. taz323's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    728 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,381 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibpluto View Post
    funny that web browsing experience/capabilities (one of the key factors for a tablet), is not listed. My experience with PB vs iPad is that other than the fact the PB is smaller, its a much better browser....which is one of the key points in selecting such a device. My wife has an iPad 3, and the browsing experience leaves here frustrated quite often.

    Apps are gowing, and I figure the current PB's will be upgradeable to BB10 at some point, and the apps list will grow from there.

    I don't get the 9th place either.... PB has never gotten any love
    They don't know what their missing, the other tablets wouldn't be as big as they are if they did. And it will get bigger and better.
    seamonky likes this.
  10. Bakamushi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kretch View Post
    #2 Microsoft Surface ...... Why is the Surface #2 on the list when it really has no apps? The Playbook got bashed for the last 2 years for this reason.
    Oh come on...

    Let's check again six months after the delivery of BB10.
  11. seamonky's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    #11  
    Thanked by:
    axllebeer (12-05-2012) 
  12. crackberryjill's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    313 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Did anyone else do the tablet purchase configurator? I did and funny, it only had 5 choices, and the Windows Surface was not one, even though it was #2 in their reviews. Told me I should get the T-Mobile G-Slate, with Asus Transformer as my second choice and the Ipad 2 as my 3rd choice, even though I had said I didn't like the Apple and Android OS, and my budget was under $300. It didn't give me the Windows or BB OS as a choice. And I choose small screen over large screen. Yet all of the top 3 offered were large screen. So talk about slanted. You would think it would cover all of the top 10.
  13. seamonky's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Same results here, infact exactly the same hmmmmmmm, interesting.
  14. #14  

    Default

    OK so it appears they did reviews for each product, short ones but better than nothing. And it did the ratings based on 4 categories (Features, Hardware, Display, Ease of Use), not just specs like the OP did.

    Their review was actually very positive on the device but the "numbers" just didnt seem to reflect it really. The playbook is going against some very new and impressive tablets with better specs and displays so its hard to really say that its not showing its age.

    Bottom line its nice to see they included the PB even after 1.5 years on the market in the comparison and the review was good.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    kevinnugent and brianatbb like this.
  15. Stephen_TX's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    198 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    OK so it appears they did reviews for each product, short ones but better than nothing. And it did the ratings based on 4 categories (Features, Hardware, Display, Ease of Use), not just specs like the OP did.

    Their review was actually very positive on the device but the "numbers" just didnt seem to reflect it really. The playbook is going against some very new and impressive tablets with better specs and displays so its hard to really say that its not showing its age.

    Bottom line its nice to see they included the PB even after 1.5 years on the market in the comparison and the review was good.
    I agree - the narrative was pretty accurate. It is a good business device, and can also meet the needs for basic audio & video playback. But for the consumer market, there is a distinct lack of apps for some pretty basic things like specifc airline sites, banking, newspapers, etc. Many can be overcome with either the browser or sideloading, but that's an effort not required by the iPad and Android devices. And, while apps like Chase Bank Android could be sideloaded, it has since been upgraded and not converted to BAR (at least that I've found), and the old version no longer works. If BB10 overcomes those barriers, the PB's hardware platform (perhaps upgraded) could be better reviewed in the future.
  16. bbobruns's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    65 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seamonky View Post
    Same results here, infact exactly the same hmmmmmmm, interesting.
    Polls are often slanted by the questions asked. Paraphrasing an old saying: "There are numbers, statistics and then there are lies.
    seamonky likes this.
  17. wafa510's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    If you notice the pictures they have on the review are from before 2.0 came out and their flash version is the old one. It is the same review that had for their best tablets 2012, they never updated it.

    The reason I know is that when I was doing my research for what tablet to buy, I read this review over and over again and remember it very well.
    Last edited by wafa510; 12-05-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Lovin' the Playbook and hatin' the cynics!
    Thanked by 2:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (12-05-2012),  David in Durham (12-06-2012) 
  18. crackberryjill's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    313 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wafa510 View Post
    If you notice the pictures they have on the review are from before 2.0 came out and their flash version is the old one. It is the same review that had for their best tablets 2012, they never updated it.

    The reason I know is that when I was doing my research for what tablet to buy, I read this review over and over again and remember it very well.
    That may be why I noticed the Ipad3 and the Ipad Mini were not included.
  19. wafa510's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crackberryjill View Post
    That may be why I noticed the Ipad3 and the Ipad Mini were not included.
    They added new tablets, hence the Surface, but they kept the same review on the list for the Playbook as last year.
    Lovin' the Playbook and hatin' the cynics!
  20. Michel Souris's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    295 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    PlayBook certainly deserves last place as it still doesn't have fully implemented email, etc. (only partial IMAP support). For a 2 year old device - nearly - this is unforgivable. Good for business use? Must be a joke.
  21. Bakamushi's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Did it occur to anyone that the role of the PB in reviews from now on will be to be present, and not to compete ?
  22. JasW's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,270 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,011 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    Bottom line its nice to see they included the PB even after 1.5 years on the market in the comparison and the review was good.
    That is indeed the bottom line. The PB is rarely mentioned in tablet rundowns anymore.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 4
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

    BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
  23. scalemaster34's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,788 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    OP - I agree that the PB, even after 18 months still has very competitive hardware. And the OS is very responsive with an easy to use UI.

    But where the PlayBook FAILS is quality apps and content. Sure there are now hundreds of thousands of apps in App World... but if you took the top ten iPad apps and compare them to their counterpart in App World you will see that the PlayBook is not getting the support it needs to be successful. As for content, the music and video stores are... an after thought at best.

    Imagine it was fifteen years ago and you spouse bought you a new Dell computer with RedHat installed instead of Windows... it might be a great computer and a powerful OS, but you are going to be very limited by what the OS is able to run and what you can do with it. No doubt you would be installing a copy of Windows 98 on another partition as soon as you could.... but what if you couldn't install a different OS??? What if you were forced to use your new computer and learn all about Linux? You would still have a browser, you still have an office suite and they are a number of developers that are building some cool apps... that would be enough right?
    bdegrande likes this.
  24. DigitalMadness's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    419 Posts
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    I questioned the method in which the reviewer is assigning the rating for each category.
    As an example. In the features category, the PB has better features than IPAD and Surface. Yet the PB only got a 7.5 vs 10 for the latter.
    Same goes for the Hardware.
    The only undisputed will be the disaplay.
    The ease of use can be very subjective.

    The sad part is that 90% of the consumers will decide on a tablet base on comparisons lilke this.
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMadness View Post
    I questioned the method in which the reviewer is assigning the rating for each category.
    As an example. In the features category, the PB has better features than IPAD and Surface. Yet the PB only got a 7.5 vs 10 for the latter.
    Same goes for the Hardware.
    The only undisputed will be the disaplay.
    The ease of use can be very subjective.

    The sad part is that 90% of the consumers will decide on a tablet base on comparisons lilke this.
    by features i think that includes apps so I that is why the PB is lower on the list.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 11:12 PM
  2. Reviews are OUT!
    By soccernamlak in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 03:36 AM
  3. Phone Scoop Review Video Out
    By ItalianBerry in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 10:54 PM
  4. What applications are out FOR the storm?
    By imann101 in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 08:02 PM

Posting Permissions