Is something wrong with your hand or finger? Seems like you have no control of your hand, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the playbook.
    01-06-12 04:30 PM
    I don't get it? After watching that video, I still don't see a problem. His fingers are flickering to whichever side he's moving toward. WTF are we evaluating here? Scrolling seems normal to me.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-06-12 04:46 PM
    You may have a medical condition called "essential tremor". Get it checked out by a qualified physician. Its not the playbook. Let us know your progress.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-06-12 04:58 PM
    I don't get it? After watching that video, I still don't see a problem. His fingers are flickering to whichever side he's moving toward. WTF are we evaluating here? Scrolling seems normal to me.
    I believe you covered it all there. The concerned replies have been replaced by cricket chirps.
    01-06-12 04:59 PM
    Hah! I just tested your claim, and yeah, you slide it off and it still scrolls. That's a neat feature!
    Once you get the hang of it, you can maintain contact to that area and roll to your finger tip allowing full view of the screen. I think blackjack pointed that out to me in a past post.
    blue-b likes this.
    01-06-12 05:02 PM
    Watch the margin's on the left. Once iPad detects vertical scrolling, it locks the horizontal position UNTIL the scrolling stops. PlayBook doesn't do that!

You can't expect the fingers to have the precision of a ruler and do straight vertical swipes.
    One more thing worth mentioning is, on the iPad, the scrolling speed gets incrementally faster as you swipe, PlayBook doesn't do that either.. Hence the fast finger movement to compensate. And, there is no way to scroll to top.
    Last edited by TerrenceRowl; 01-06-12 at 05:05 PM.
    01-06-12 05:02 PM
    Watch the margin's on the left. Once iPad detects vertical scrolling, it locks the horizontal position UNTIL the scrolling stops. PlayBook doesn't do that!

You can't expect the fingers to have the precision of a ruler and do straight vertical swipes.
    One more thing worth mentioning is, on the iPad, the scrolling speed gets incrementally faster as you swipe, PlayBook doesn't do that either.. Hence the fast finger movement to compensate. And, there is no way to scroll to top.
    I don't see a problem at all with the scrolling on the PB. But with your hand shaking condition then a IPad would be better for you if it can do what you say.
    01-06-12 05:12 PM
    I don't see a problem at all with the scrolling on the PB. But with your hand shaking condition then a IPad would be better for you if it can do what you say.
    ICS has this fixed as well in the browser. It's just a little detail that no one else noticed except Apple (until ICS)

The OP's video is of course exaggerated to illustrate the issue. But little heuristics like this thing I notice every day going back and forth from Android devices to the iOS devices.

It all depends on how much little things like that bother you. Some people don't notice the difference in steering feel between a front wheel drive car and a rear wheel drive car. And that's cool. But personally, I can't drive any front wheel drive car. It makes my head hurt. (Not being sarcastic at all).

I also can't stand when phones have a CG that isn't in the center in all 3 axes. So I guess I'm a born Apple user or something. (Although I do develop for Android.)
    helsinki98 likes this.
    01-06-12 05:27 PM
    ICS has this fixed as well in the browser. It's just a little detail that no one else noticed except Apple (until ICS)

The OP's video is of course exaggerated to illustrate the issue. But little heuristics like this thing I notice every day going back and forth from Android devices to the iOS devices.

It all depends on how much little things like that bother you. Some people don't notice the difference in steering feel between a front wheel drive car and a rear wheel drive car. And that's cool. But personally, I can't drive any front wheel drive car. It makes my head hurt. (Not being sarcastic at all).

I also can't stand when phones have a CG that isn't in the center in all 3 axes. So I guess I'm a born Apple user or something. (Although I do develop for Android.)
    So, once you start scrolling one way you have to stop to go the other? That sounds brutal! I spend my time in 3d space and I prefer the pb way. Just one more point of difference that each user will love or hate.
    Last edited by Toodeurep; 01-06-12 at 05:49 PM.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-06-12 05:46 PM
    So, once you start scrolling one wat you have to stop to go the other? That sounds brutal! I spend my time in 3d space and I prefer the pb way. Just one more point of difference that each user will love our hate.
    No, it's based on your acceleration. The user will tend to slow down, but not stop, when switching direction. It's a subtle observation, but important on a smaller screen where the thumb tends to arc.

They also change the offset between the actual touch and the perceived touch as you go from the top of the screen to the bottom. This is because people tend to hold the device below their eyes and with their finger obviously not orthogonal to the plane of the screen. That little adjustment is why normal users say the iPhone screen is more "accurate".

We get hundreds of bug reports on our Android apps about "inaccuracy" and never any on the same app on the iPhone, because Apple makes that little adjustment for us. It really does make a huge difference for normal users from our own data.

Starting with Gingerbread and more so in ICS, Google is figuring this out also and starting to factor in similar adjustments. So it's not just Apple. I'm sure RIM will also.

BTW, Microsoft seems to have gotten it right as well in WP7. They did a great job, actually. If RIM or BB fans hate Apple, they can copy this from Microsoft instead.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-06-12 at 05:56 PM.
    01-06-12 05:52 PM
    So, once you start scrolling one way you have to stop to go the other? That sounds brutal! I spend my time in 3d space and I prefer the pb way. Just one more point of difference that each user will love or hate.
    No, It locks in the direction when you swipe long enough in vertical or horizontal direction. You have to try it on an iPad to get the exact idea.
    01-06-12 05:55 PM
    No, It locks in the direction when you swipe long enough in vertical or horizontal direction. You have to try it on an iPad to get the exact idea.
    The fundamental issue is that Apple and Microsoft do a very nice job of using position, velocity, and acceleration all as factors in interpreting touch. It's a subtle point, but it makes the motion feel more natural for most people. It's a big part of why the iPhone felt so good from day one compared to other touch screens we've all used before that.

It's also why you'll notice toddlers love the iPad so much. Kids are even more sensitive to that because they don't over-think it, they just touch and expect it to work like our fingers work in the real world. Our perceived touch (our whole sense of touch) is not literally and mechanically inline with the exact nerve that was pressured. That's not how our brains work in real life.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-06-12 at 06:04 PM.
    01-06-12 06:01 PM
    I'll have to toy with the wife's ipad2 to form a better opinion. Never missed it before.
    01-06-12 06:01 PM
    I'll have to toy with the wife's ipad2 to form a better opinion. Never missed it before.
    Yeah, or like I said, spend some time with a WP7 phone. We just got a Nokia 800 in here this week to play with, and everyone is drooling over it. Nokia and Microsoft got all the little details very, very nicely. It's really a beautiful device.
    01-06-12 06:07 PM
    My Captivate will let me do both but it won't let me transition without lifting my finger.
    01-06-12 06:22 PM
    Scroll straight, instead of pretending you've had too much to drink!
    RicThot and Kojjax like this.
    01-06-12 07:56 PM
    Just a by-the-way, the pb does allow for an accelerated swipe/scroll - do it fast and continue the swipe as more of a flick and the scroll will continue - that's how I get back to TOP or Bottom quicker.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-06-12 08:14 PM
    Get the bubble level app and make sure you know which way up and sideways are - this is silly.
    01-06-12 08:24 PM
    Just a by-the-way, the pb does allow for an accelerated swipe/scroll - do it fast and continue the swipe as more of a flick and the scroll will continue - that's how I get back to TOP or Bottom quicker.
    Actually, it does have scroll lock. You may need to hold your "straight line" a bit longer, but i can confirm it is there. Looks like the pb is back in the game.
    01-06-12 08:26 PM
    Get the bubble level app and make sure you know which way up and sideways are - this is silly.
    I just got home to check out the video. i am deducting 50 points from myself and grounding myself for two days. i cannot believe i was drug into the insanity.
    01-06-12 08:40 PM
    Just watched the video. And I must say, wow, as well as quote many other replies to this thread.

For the most part, this problem is solved. Human error.
    01-06-12 09:17 PM
    For the most part, this problem is solved. Human error.
    Essential Tremor is not technically human error.
    01-06-12 10:22 PM
    Essential Tremor is not technically human error.
    I have perfectly good hands and no medical conditions.

Has anyone ever tried scrolling with a finger while holding the PlayBook in the same hand?
    01-06-12 10:51 PM
    In all seriousness your hands were trembling and you seemed to have no control of your fingers and hands, I have never seen someone scroll in that fashion. The video shows it plain as day. When did you first start having problems scrolling?
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-06-12 11:00 PM

Has anyone ever tried scrolling with a finger while holding the PlayBook in the same hand?

You're not suppose to be doing that -lol its not an i phone.
    do you only have one hand?

This is great comic relief thanks OP.. lol
    Kojjax likes this.
    01-07-12 01:17 AM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD