When I simply try to scroll up or down, it keeps mistaking vertical swipes for horizontal swipes ALL THE TIME! I typically do long swipes with my pointing finger.
    iPad handles this wonderfully. This happens when page is fit to width by double tapping.

The customers wouldn't get a good first impression of the product on retail demo units in stores.
    RIM, Fix the basic scrolling!

Hasn't anyone else been annoyed by this?
    Last edited by TerrenceRowl; 01-06-12 at 03:12 PM.
    tkhamis likes this.
    01-06-12 12:42 PM
    I think you're swiping a little close to the edge my friend, I get pretty critical with simple things like what you are making note of, but I have not had that reoccurring problem before.

Actually, better describe your problem, I am trying to reproduce it on the latest Dev Build (2.0s), not having that problem.
    Last edited by CL8Baller; 01-06-12 at 12:46 PM.
    01-06-12 12:44 PM
    I swipe in the center of the screen.
    The scrolling happens vertically in the page, but it also moves the page left to right and back when scrolling stops. That is the annoying part.
    01-06-12 12:50 PM
    I swipe in the center of the screen.
    The scrolling happens vertically in the page, but it also moves the page left to right and back when scrolling stops. That is the annoying part.

Give us an example website to work with, still not reproducing the problem, the closes thing to a problem I am producing is one may accidentally bring the top menu down or go to the home screen.
    01-06-12 12:55 PM
    i assume you refer to pages which are wider than the screen. Basically the screen goes where the finger points, whether up and down only or left and right if you have a wobbly finger.

I never saw a need for a scroll lock to disable either vertical or horizontal scrolling, but I suppose it could be useful. Since the screen mostly stays visible during scrolling, I just put it where I want it before lifting my finger.
    Zirak and rotorwrench like this.
    01-06-12 01:50 PM
    Never had this problem.

Nothing to fix.
    01-06-12 02:02 PM
    i assume you refer to pages which are wider than the screen. Basically the screen goes where the finger points, whether up and down only or left and right if you have a wobbly finger.

I never saw a need for a scroll lock to disable either vertical or horizontal scrolling, but I suppose it could be useful. Since the screen mostly stays visible during scrolling, I just put it where I want it before lifting my finger.
    Yes, it happens every time with pages where I double tap to fit to width.
    I will see if I can record a video to show how flawed scrolling is.

On the other note, one handed scrolling while reading articles, is simply impossible on the Playbook compared to the Ipad.
    01-06-12 02:08 PM

On the other note, one handed scrolling while reading articles, is simply impossible on the Playbook compared to the Ipad.
    I'm one-handed scrolling right now. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
    01-06-12 02:23 PM
    I'm one-handed scrolling right now. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
    I'm one finger scrolling right now..
    01-06-12 02:39 PM

I reckon your scrolling is wonky. If the page is wider than the screen it'll just go where you finger is pointing, horizontal, vertical or diagonally...
    01-06-12 02:47 PM
    I haven't the faintest clue what you are describing. I can scroll any direction for 360 degrees. I don't know if I can do it as well as the perfect iPad, but it's hard to imagine much improvement to something that works fine.
    01-06-12 02:48 PM
    Here's my video demonstrating the irritating problem.

Normally I hold the PlayBook with one had and scroll with pointing finger. The problem is just as severe.
    tkhamis and ninepbs like this.
    01-06-12 02:50 PM
    The screen is following your finger. Not sure what's wrong with that. Scoll straight up and down and screen will follow.
    01-06-12 02:54 PM
    Here's my video demonstrating the irritating problem.

Normally I hold the PlayBook with one had and scroll with pointing finger. The problem is just as severe.
    You're all over the place!! lol
    01-06-12 02:54 PM
    Wow, just wow. I don't even know what to say after watching that video. I mean, just...wow... LOL...

You're just asking for it..
    01-06-12 03:00 PM
    ...and what website was that so I may test it (although I'm still on official OS).

When I am on sites such as Crackberry, Google or Facebook (and many many others), my scrolling doesn't behave like that, in landscape or portrait.
    01-06-12 03:03 PM
    I see how after you zoom even this page you can scroll sideways enough to go off the page then the screen re-centers. I just scroll straight and problem solved.
    01-06-12 03:03 PM
    Another nice feature of the playbook is that you can touch to scroll and slide your finger just off the screen and still have the scrolling active. this keeps your finger out of the way nicely. not many other tablets let you use the bezel, if any.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-06-12 03:07 PM
    so i just watched your video and your finger swipes are clearly going in the diagonal direction in the instances when the direction does go both horizontally and vertically. some of those swipes look intentional and exaggerated too, particularly the ones on the end of the video. you cant possibly read that fast to warrant a need to swipe that vehemently at a screen anyways.
    o btw i tried to open a full webpage on my iphone4 and used the very same swipes u used on the playbook screen and guess what, it handled it much in the same way as the playbook did. i dont own an ipad though so i cant test that one out too but if it did have this scrolling direction lock, then i guess thats a nice feature to have although i dont see it being such a big deal.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-06-12 03:14 PM
    Another nice feature of the playbook is that you can touch to scroll and slide your finger just off the screen and still have the scrolling active. this keeps your finger out of the way nicely. not many other tablets let you use the bezel, if any.
    Hah! I just tested your claim, and yeah, you slide it off and it still scrolls. That's a neat feature!
    01-06-12 03:21 PM
    so i just watched your video and your finger swipes are clearly going in the diagonal direction in the instances when the direction does go both horizontally and vertically. some of those swipes look intentional and exaggerated too, particularly the ones on the end of the video. you cant possibly read that fast to warrant a need to swipe that vehemently at a screen anyways.
    o btw i tried to open a full webpage on my iphone4 and used the very same swipes u used on the playbook screen and guess what, it handled it much in the same way as the playbook did. i dont own an ipad though so i cant test that one out too but if it did have this scrolling direction lock, then i guess thats a nice feature to have although i dont see it being such a big deal.
    You would need Paganini hands to grab an ipad and treat it like an iphone and do that type of scrolling imo. =)
    01-06-12 03:25 PM
    Doesn't bother me at all, it's just nitpicking I guess..
    01-06-12 03:31 PM
    Seriously???? I can't believe this post!!! I watched the video and I still can't believe my eyes. This video proves that people will b!tch about anything and everything. Wow. If anyone wants a good laugh, watch the video and see what the OP is complaining about.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-06-12 03:34 PM
    In the video it looks like the website the OP is browsing has been zoomed in the browser. The fact that the PB is reading the OP's finger swipes exactly and scrolling as per the finger swipes is actually a good thing. Imagine if only half of a website was visible on a page and a user wanted to scroll horizontally to view the other half, but the PB locked the display to only move vertically? I can hear the complaints now. I have a hard time believing that an iPad locks out half the screen from it's users when viewing zoomed in web pages. I will need to play with my relatives iPad some more. But I have not ever noticed that in my use with it.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    01-06-12 04:11 PM
    I understand what you're saying. Apple has a simple heuristic for that which would be very easy for a developer at RIM to work out if s/he spent a little time with an iPad.

Should be an easy fix and a nice little detail to get right.
    helsinki98 and addicted44 like this.
    01-06-12 04:19 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD