I had the same problems back in the summer.. Turning off wifi and turning it back on would fix it for a bit.. Reseting the router would fix it for a bit.. A bit = 5 minutes to a couple of hours. Changed out router, same issues.

RMA it and get a new one.. I did multiple wipes with mine and didn't load any apps to see if it was the problem.. My replacement unit works perfectly and best of all my power button sits high above the bezel and is super easy to turn the playbook on and off !
    12-12-11 09:28 PM
    I bought a Linksys E1500 router and had just received the playbook. So far it has worked perfectly with both my laptop and playbook. Mine is a middle end one for $80 and I purchased it at Walmart.
    12-13-11 06:04 AM
    I do not know how to help you because I've never had issues with either connecting to wifi or dropped wifi connection. Always smooth like butter. I had these issues with the developers beta bit never with official os.
    12-13-11 06:17 AM
    OP... I have similar problem with PB holding the wifi at home and I have a relatively new linksys router. So you are not the only one.
    12-13-11 06:36 AM
    Although it looks like you folks have already given this guy some great advice, i want to add just a bit from my experience.

I used to love DLink routers, i bought several of them. They were cost effective, easy to set up, and easy to use.

The only downside to them is they will randomly stop working and once they start to flake out, they never stop.

I was having the same problem of losing connection with my devices, even devices like my ps3 that were wired into the router were dropping connection.

I replaced my router with another "Higher end" Dlink router, fixed the problem for 6 months and then the problems returned.

I noticed that the problem usually occured when taking any device out of stand-by/sleep mode. Whether it was my playbook, or any of my laptops.

The conclusion i came to was that my router was set to DHCP. (you want it to be on this DO NOT TURN DHCP OFF)

What this does is automatically assign an ip the first free ip address to each device that connects to the router starting at 127.0.0.1.

What i figured out was this.....

when i turned on my playbook it would grab a new ip - for this example lets use 127.0.0.100
    I would use it for a while then put it to sleep.

Later i would decide to use my laptop to download something.
    I'd fire it up and connect to my router, and my router would give it the first ip in it's order not being used. 127.0.0.100

I'd connect no problem and do my downloading

Then id try to fire up the playbook but get no connection.

When my playbook was in standby mode, it would keep the 127.0.0.100 ip in it for when it would be turned back on.

But the router would release that ip and then assign it to the next device to connect.

When i turned the playbook back on, it would try to use an ip that it thought it had, but turns out was in use by my laptop.

What you need to do is assign specific ip addresses to specific devices. This can be done in the router set up. Now each time you try to connect a certain device, it will connect only to its specific ip address.

This fixed my problem for a while, but i had issues with my router dropping the internet connection from my modem.

I replaced that with a Netgear Router and no problems since.
    12-13-11 07:34 AM
    If you were really using the 127.0.0/24 network for your devices, I think I know why it wasn't working... ;-)
    12-13-11 08:28 AM
    So, it seems that my problem got fixed by simply moving the router, I was doing something so I just moved the router onto the desk and forgot to move it back. The last two nights I was able to connect to my wifi with no issue, no drop signal, etc.
    Hopefully, this stays like that.
    Don`t want to be spending money on a new router at this point since it works well with my laptop and until I decide to update my entertainment system.
    12-15-11 11:21 AM
    So, it seems that my problem got fixed by simply moving the router, I was doing something so I just moved the router onto the desk and forgot to move it back. The last two nights I was able to connect to my wifi with no issue, no drop signal, etc.
    Hopefully, this stays like that.
    Don`t want to be spending money on a new router at this point since it works well with my laptop and until I decide to update my entertainment system.
    I had been considering updating my router and even called my isp to find out my dsl sign-on password in anticipation (I did not have Ascendo's DataVault when I got the account and had no idea of what the password might be). But then I started reading some threads that the N standard is not all that great anyway. And then I'd have to re-enter all of those mac addresses for all of my devices and, it was like, why fix if it is not entirely broken!

I have not really had any issues with my older linksys and my pb or other devices. So - status quo!
    12-15-11 12:14 PM
    Absolutely true. There are many places other wifi devices work and where you have no access to either change router settings or buy THEM a new router to work with your pb. Obviously, at home you can tweak or buy to your hearts content. If that is primarily where the pb is used, it might make some sense.
    Exactly. Unless you feel like walking up to the barista and saying, "Hey bro, I have this awesome tablet. Go BlackBerry! It's not working so good with your router though. Would you mind grabbing a PC, going to the wiring closet and reconfigure it so I can get on? Start with switching to b/g and reboot. We may have to fiddle with the encryption protocol and a few other things, but lets cross that bridge when we get to it. And this espresso is bitter so you might as well whip me up a new one while we wait for the reboot."

Another factor that falls out of this networking problem:
    If you can only count on your Playbook at home or some other place where you control the wifi access point, the portability advantage of this 7" device versus larger tablets (and I do think it is a significant advantage) is dramatically reduced.
    12-15-11 03:25 PM
    Bottom line: Rim has to fix the wifi issues. Folks should not have to tweak someone else's router no matter what!!
    12-15-11 03:37 PM
    its beter in 108 but still reqyuires me to refresh lots and even close browser and start again.i hope it gets better soon.its frustrating its not with everyone as some think were on crack haha.
    12-15-11 06:17 PM
    still working and it's fast I agree RIM needs to fix it. It worked with my 16GB flawlessly.
    12-15-11 07:49 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD