Hi Guys,
    Due to wifi issues I`m thinking of returning my PB. It just won`t automatically connect it always says it can find the IP address. Router reset helps but I don`t want to be doing it all the day long. I have switched the router to B/N it worked for one day but then it went back to the same old story.

I understand that it could be combination of my router D-Link DIR615 and the new 1.8O/S.
    Initially, I bought 16GB and it worked fine with 1.7 version but as soon as I replaced with 32gb it got updated to 1.8 so I`m not able to determine if 1.7 would have been better.

I know 3 other ppl and they don`t have this issue.
    Actually, I`ve started to appreciate PB the quality is amazing, especially the bridge function. So, I`d love to keep it but if I can get it to work there`s no point of keeping it.

Any other suggestions before I give it up ?

Is it possible to downgrade the OS to 1.7 ? What routers do you guys use that don`t cause you grief ?

Thanks
    12-11-11 08:22 PM
    i was also having some issues with wifi but then i deleted the network and saved it manually so it might be that. for the longest time didn't even knowni could delete a network but then by mistake i found it. ill tell u just in case you don't know:

Go to "Settings" -> �Wifi" -> then there is a line with "Select a network" beside that here is a multioption box (i didnt know it was that haha) then go to "Saved Networks" and u can edit/delete your network to try and fix it.

Hope that helps.
    12-11-11 08:34 PM
    well. im running 1.8 and i use an apple router at home and 2 buddies both have linksys wrt54g's running the dd-wrt firmware and i have no issues anywhere. are u using the auto setup wps mode? i find it terrible. switch to a proper wpa2, might also try setting a static ip on router, helps a lot with routers that have weak chips and low memory.
    12-11-11 08:36 PM
    Wish I could help you out but I've never had a problem with wifi.
    12-11-11 08:37 PM
    I have done the manual setup as well and yes I`m running wpa2
    12-11-11 08:41 PM
    I use a Citirx router that I bought from Bestbuy, its a bit costly but it works very well. I was using a Belkin router which was 7 years old, but it started giving weird problems like the one you describe, upgraded and never had to reset or delete my router or wifi settings.
    Hope you figure it out soon, some more informed members here at CB might have better suggestions for you..... the PB rocks dont give up on it because of a bad router/wifi issue
    12-11-11 08:42 PM
    The older dlink routers have been giving problems since April. If you really want to keep the playbook, you might want to look into a new router.
    12-11-11 08:49 PM
    I have never had wifi problems since day 1 (May), I use a linski router at home. The PlayBook wifi has worked flawless for me with any wifi I'm around. I guess I got a good one.
    12-11-11 08:51 PM
    gave manual login a ry again it seems to be holding after a restart. but I`ll keep playing with it.

if this doesn`t workout I was thinking of getting an IPOD touch that would do alot of stuff I need. but it`s not 100% that would work with my router either plus pb is so addictive.
    12-11-11 08:57 PM
    islouch would definitely be a backward step.

Your current PB will be relevant for years due to the nature of its QNX OS. Fix up your router situation. FWIW, whenever I've been out and about, any place that has had wifi works just fine. Widely available wifi has only been around for the last couple of years so most routers are newer which may further confirm the source of your wifi issue: an obsolete router.
    12-11-11 09:04 PM
    I'm using an older Netgear router with update 1.8 and it works flawlessly. Look into Netgear, they also have great tech support out of India to set up the router. And no i'm not being sarcastic. They really do !!
    12-11-11 10:35 PM
    I've been having trouble where it says my ip address has been disabled and i have to reboot my router. Usually it happens after I take my playbook out of standby. I have found if I turn off wifi before I put it in standby it doesn't happen nearly as often. I am using a Netgear router and have a 32GB playbook.
    12-12-11 12:01 AM
    I had to upgrade my 3-year-old linksys router to a much newer d-link when I bought a new laptop a year ago. Made a world of difference. Don't blame the device, an iThing won't work any better with outdated network equipment.
    12-12-11 12:14 AM
    if I were you I would return the playbook.... and cancel my internet.
    Last edited by gotchagain; 12-12-11 at 12:28 AM.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-12-11 12:23 AM
    does your ssid have a space in it? i would suggest trying a one word name with no caps. couldn't hurt to try.
    12-12-11 12:46 AM
    Hi Guys,
    Due to wifi issues I`m thinking of returning my PB. It just won`t automatically connect it always says it can find the IP address. Router reset helps but I don`t want to be doing it all the day long. I have switched the router to B/N it worked for one day but then it went back to the same old story.
    Try setting your router to G only if possible. If you can sacrifice your wireless N for now (perhaps until it's fixed in OS2?), you'll probably find it working better on G. I wouldn't use B unless I absolutely had to. Most devices made in the last few years support B and G, so if possible, go for G only.
    12-12-11 12:57 AM
    A new router is cheaper than an ipad!

Try accessing wifi at Staples or McDonalds. They may be slow.
    12-12-11 01:38 AM
    islouch would definitely be a backward step.

Your current PB will be relevant for years due to the nature of its QNX OS. Fix up your router situation. FWIW, whenever I've been out and about, any place that has had wifi works just fine. Widely available wifi has only been around for the last couple of years so most routers are newer which may further confirm the source of your wifi issue: an obsolete router.
    this is false.the itouch is an amazing device that paved the way for all tabs.i have 2 itouch and they both just work.i use it to test the wifi when i cant connect on the pb.i am having wifi issues as well.my laptop and itouch connect no probs.its a router i cant access as its at a work camp that i work at so i know nothing about it.u shouldnt have to also upgrade your router when u purchase a pb.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-12-11 10:15 AM
    this is false.the itouch is an amazing device that paved the way for all tabs.i have 2 itouch and they both just work.i use it to test the wifi when i cant connect on the pb.i am having wifi issues as well.my laptop and itouch connect no probs.its a router i cant access as its at a work camp that i work at so i know nothing about it.u shouldnt have to also upgrade your router when u purchase a pb.
    Absolutely true. There are many places other wifi devices work and where you have no access to either change router settings or buy THEM a new router to work with your pb. Obviously, at home you can tweak or buy to your hearts content. If that is primarily where the pb is used, it might make some sense.
    12-12-11 11:10 AM
    Funny thing is it was an iPhone that got me using the Apple Extreme routers. With my Dlink, I couldn't find a combination of settings that would let both my Blackberry Bold 9000 and my wife's iPhone 3g connecting properly. This was a few years ago.

For what it is worth, the PlayBook has always played well with the Apple routers.

In regards to the iPod, I was looking at a sale flyer and the ipods were the same price as a PlayBook when the Playbook was on sale.
    12-12-11 11:20 AM
    ya the new gen ipod touch dropped in price a bit.the new os5 is amazing.i like the size of the pb but the ipod touch is in a leage of its own and iknow of nothing that will compete with it.for 199 they are a great device and no im not an apple fan at all.
    12-12-11 12:40 PM
    I'm running all the official os updates and haven't had a problem with wi-fi at all,if anything my PB has a better range by far compared to laptop.No problems when I go to other places with a saved wi-fi profile,it just logs on with no fuss.Wish I could help you guys but not having had a problem I'm as in the dark as you are.
    And can we not turn this into a "everything Apple is better than anything RIM" Apple products do have problems aswell so don't pretend they don't.
    12-12-11 01:01 PM
    no flash = total fail

I've never had a problem with wifi.
    12-12-11 01:04 PM
    Thanks guy fro your help, I`ll check later if my wifi is sitll an issue. But it seems that my router needs to be replaced, to bad since it works perfectly with my laptop.

But I do love my PB and can`t return it just doesn`t feel right I`ll ***** a bit more but hopefully the new OS will fix those issues.

But might still pick up IPOD Touch as I love listening Podcasts and listening them on my drive to work and back.
    12-12-11 06:20 PM
    Thanks guy fro your help, I`ll check later if my wifi is sitll an issue. But it seems that my router needs to be replaced, to bad since it works perfectly with my laptop.

But I do love my PB and can`t return it just doesn`t feel right I`ll ***** a bit more but hopefully the new OS will fix those issues.

But might still pick up IPOD Touch as I love listening Podcasts and listening them on my drive to work and back.
    Before you buy the iPod, you should check to see if the playbook syncs podcasts from iTunes in addition to the music.

In regards to routers, I have seen the lower end wireless N routers in the $30-$40 range. If they don't work well with the Playbook, you can always take them back. The smaller Apple router in the $80 range would probably work too, plus it will stream iTunes to a home stereo if you connect it to the stereo with a simple cable.
    12-12-11 08:39 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD