I've seen many on this forum and others like it questioning the rationale or benefit of having a PlayBook given that you already have a laptop to BETTER do all things that your PlayBook can do. This is especially true when you consider that you also have a cell phone that has internet connectivity. Thus, they inquire, why even own a PlayBook at all. Admittedly, I, myself, was a bit on the fence about this notion.

However !!!

After playing with this device for a little more than 2 weeks, I'm realizing more and more each just how more handy the PB is over both my laptop and my cell phone. In a sense, the PlayBook is sort of a liaison between the other 2 devices.

Rather than explain it, I'll simply share my personal experiences and I'm sure that most who read this can relate to what I'm talking about.

1 - After doing a whole lot of desk work in my home office, I simply wanted to do some leisure web browsing to relax but I was actually tired of sitting down. I brought my PB with me and laid down in my bed and did just that. I also realized that this rather appreciated convenience was noticed on the same day prior when I took my PB with me to the mall and entertained myself while my wife was shopping. That is normally a painful experience. Before the PlayBook I'd use my cell phone but it's nothing like "Need for Speed" and other games or viewing movies. And as far as the laptop in those situations ...

2 - The only time I check email on my phone now is if my PB is not right near me at the time or if I'm typing a quick response that requires more accuracy in typing quickly. Otherwise, viewing emails, BBM's and calendar events is a much better experience. And since I keep my PB on all day, unlike the laptop, no need to boot when I get an email alert, I simply check it!

3 - The other day, I was place where I had some down time. I'd normally pack my laptop in it bag and look for a table or some place comfortable where I could sit and get some work done. I'd look for someplace where there may some hot spot or some other WiFi connectivity. If not, I'd do use the connectivity of my cell to get the quick references that I might need. Now, I simply put the PB in my pocket or it's book case and that's it. Indeed word to go is far far far inferior to what is offered by the actual program, but I can still get a whole lot of content in and deal with formatting at a later time.

I'm now convinced the notion the PlayBook is redundant when you have a laptop and cell phone is not true for me. It's actually the right fit between the two.

I love my PlayBook.
    dadymon likes this.
    05-08-11 01:49 PM
    I agree… it is a bridge between the two devices. I now don't take a laptop to university and a phone (even if it has a 4 inch screen) isn't good enough for Powerpoint and Document editing... Enjoy!!!
    05-08-11 02:05 PM
    Agree. Love the PB. Complements my other devises, not a replacement for them.
    05-08-11 02:55 PM
    For me the Playbook has been a life saver. I have my main Berry that I'm always carrying around, but my laptop is treated like a desktop computer to me. Its about 10+ years old and has a lot of problems with it. Mainly it needs a new battery so it won't stay on when the power cable gets unplugged. I'm really enjoying all the flash based websites that run well on the Playbook. Really beats a 2.5 screen without breaking a sweat. Still getting the hang of type in the touch screen though. Funny thing is I have larger hands, but I find that I'm able to type 60+ words on my BB and not on the PB. Maybe I haven't gotton the timimg down yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-11 03:12 PM
    I just sold my 5 year old laptop. Since getting my PB 2weeks ago I hardly used my laptop and the girl who takes care of my daughter after day care needed one so I sold it. I have my desktop at work and we have 2 desktops & a laptop at home. So my $740 PB now cost me $490.
    05-08-11 03:28 PM
    since buying my pb i use my desktop about 5% as much as i used to. i didnt like hauling the laptop around either so would juggle my work between home and office, now with the playbook i find it so handy to bring with me everywhere. its a great device - i love it more everyday. i just have my fingers crossed that it will soon support silverlight. i thought that perhaps since MicroSoft was at blackberry world maybe it increases this possibility? i sure hope so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-11 03:50 PM
    Agree. Love the PB. Complements my other devises, not a replacement for them.
    agree with this
    05-08-11 04:06 PM
    The thing i live about the PB is for simple websurfing all I have to do is swipe and i am surfing or doing other web activites without having to wait for the laptop to boot up. Also its easier to carry around then my 7 lb laptop. But for right now i cant print up emails from my PB and dont really trust the PB yet to do my online banking or any other finacial transactions yet. So both serve there purpose but my PB has defintly replaced my laptop for a majority of web activites.
    05-08-11 04:38 PM
    The downside of the PB, or any other tablet, is that we do not currently have the full compliment of programs available as on a PC. The tablet is great if we only need to carry a device for email, pdf reading, book reading, games, basic doc and excel ... This, by the way, is one of the reasons the Kindle, Nook .. are so successful for their dedicated uses.
    05-08-11 04:41 PM
    For me I think the PlayBook does sit nicely between the laptop and Mobile but so does a NetBook. Now I don't really know why I got a PlayBook as I can firmly say that I don't need it. However I have been keeping a close eye on it since the rumours first emerged of it.

Now I have one I love it. I generally find myself using the phone less and less. I also like this as despite having the Bluetooth on I am actually prolonging the life of the battery on the Torch.

I did however 3 weeks back buy a new Asus EeePC. Now when I purchased this the idea was that I wouldn't get the PB. In the end I got the PB and have no regrets so far. Some time down the line the something may be sold but now I think I will be going the route of a desktop / home server, netbook and playbook and ditch the laptop.
    05-08-11 06:55 PM
    I have found that the combination of my 9700 and my playbook achieves most of what I need but the addition of my laptop does complete the picture. I'm very happy with this combination.
    05-08-11 07:12 PM
    I'm not a person that needs a lot of powerful software. I use my computers, both my laptop and my desktop for surfing, email, word processing and some book keeping. For me, the Playbook has completely replaced my laptop. For situations that require a lot of typing, a bluetooth keyboard is important, I wouldn't want to be writing my papers on the onscreen keyboard, but even toting the keyboard along, the Playbook is much more portable than even my 12.1" laptop.

I haven't decided to sell my laptop as yet, but I've booted it up one time since the 19th. For someone like me that doesn't require specialized software, the Playbook is a perfect replacement for a laptop. The phone can be handy, but is ultimately too small; the laptop can be a pain to carry, and is frankly overkill for what I need.
    05-08-11 07:23 PM
    I don't think tablets were ever meant to be laptop replacements. At the end of the they can't do everything a laptop can do. They do however, compete well against netbooks, if all you're doing primarily is browsing the web and email. I've put my Asus Eee on Craigslist as it's just sitting around collecting dust now
    Last edited by Blackberry Guy; 05-08-11 at 07:52 PM.
    05-08-11 07:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD