ios does not have silverlight but an app for netflix. Does anyone know what format this app is using to pull and stream in?
    04-10-12 12:05 PM
    ios does not have silverlight but an app for netflix. Does anyone know what format this app is using to pull and stream in?
    HTML5. What Is the Netflix Streaming Format for the iPad? | eHow.com
    Caprica. likes this.
    04-10-12 12:08 PM
    For what its worth to the OP, The Metro version of IE in Windows8 consumer preview does not support Flash or Silverlight either!! I have two software products in addition to Netflix one I use at home the other at the office, that both require silverlight that don't work on my PB and it's really too bad. I wish they (the industry) would start making plans to abandon these things well after the replacements like in this case HTML5 take off rather than before!
    04-10-12 12:08 PM
    PS3 Netflix IIRC is HTML5 as well.
    04-10-12 12:09 PM
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! Have you MET RIM? Their idea of "keeping their user base happy" is making a $2300 version of their already overpriced $300 phone so their 1% customers can show off how rich they are.

RIM cares NOTHING for it's 99% user base.

If their customers want to be entertained, they can hire a slave to pedal a unicycle with a generator to power a satellite dish while they hold a 50" plasma screen in front of them on the golf course.
    before you go ripping up RIM on the P9981, it WAS Porche Design that made the phone using the 9900 specs.... so before you go spouting off what you "Think" you know, do some research... It must be nice to be in Bliss because we all know, Ignorance is Bliss...
    04-10-12 12:39 PM
    For what its worth to the OP, The Metro version of IE in Windows8 consumer preview does not support Flash or Silverlight either!! I have two software products in addition to Netflix one I use at home the other at the office, that both require silverlight that don't work on my PB and it's really too bad. I wish they (the industry) would start making plans to abandon these things well after the replacements like in this case HTML5 take off rather than before!
    In the case of the Playbook, the issue has to do with Netflix not making an app, not Silverlight. iOS devices have Netflix apps, but those apps use HTML5. Blame Netflix, not RIM or Microsoft.
    04-10-12 12:43 PM
    So if iOS, PS3 and Xbox etc are using an HTML5 version of Netflix, and the playbook has HTML 5 then it can be concluded that RIM has meet the requirement for Netflix. Lets not try to stick this on Rim any further. Perhaps you could argue that RIM should build an app, or pay Netflix for said app but the software and hardware requirements are meet. So outside of Netflix and possibly some SQL reporting what other reason would there be to have silverlight - a failed product by any standard.
    04-10-12 01:02 PM
    we may not need to have silverlight, wIth OS 2.1 being the most compatible with html5 we could see an app with the next update or ther after

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-10-12 02:13 PM
    Well it's not good when someone sat next to you can watch the match on his I-pad cause their bowser supports silverlight and I can't cause the PlayBook's browser doesn't. Sky on the go would work for us UK owners if only silverlight was working.
    04-10-12 05:23 PM
    Netflix isn't going anywhere.
    Neither was Napster
    04-10-12 08:10 PM
    You can make the argument 8 ways to Sunday:

If there was a Netflix App for the PB it would work
    If the Android Player was better the Android App would work
    If the browser supported Silverlight, then it would work
    If Netflix would update their site to use HTML5 instead of Silverlight then it would work

Did I miss any?
    Ratteler likes this.
    04-10-12 10:32 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD