I purcahsed and downloaded a book for Kobo. All is well and can read the book.
    The question I have is, where does Kobo store the book on the Playbook - when searching for it, I can't find it.
    11-22-12 10:49 AM
    I don't know that it does store the book on the Playbook. I think that it is actual on your account with Kobo. And the reason I state this is, if you were to pickup another device whether it was a Kobo reader or another Playbook sign in to your account and select your book, it will know exactly where you left off.

You can download the ascm(?) file to you playbook or computer and then read it with programs like Calibre. There are programs that will strip the DRM out of the file so that you can have a tangle item.

I might be off a bit, but that's how I understand it.
    11-22-12 10:57 AM
    If the book were only on Kobo account then when offline on the PB we were unable to read it. That can't be true (I think). No?
    Scotter75 likes this.
    11-22-12 11:21 AM
    If the book were only on Kobo account then when offline on the PB we were unable to read it. That can't be true (I think). No?
    It isn't true. You can read books offline.
    11-22-12 12:06 PM
    They are stored somewhere in the protected_media space, along with save games, emails, settings and podcasts.

You can read offline just fine. Both Kobo and Kindle sync the location you're at. That's why you can pick up from where you stopped no matter which device you decide to use.
    11-22-12 12:26 PM
    It isn't true. You can read books offline.
    So, the books don't live just on Kobo but on our PB too.
    11-22-12 12:38 PM
    So, the books don't live just on Kobo but on our PB too.
    That is correct. They remain in an archive on Kobo's site but they are loaded, as noted, in some hidden work area that we cannot access by any ordinary means.

Edited to add: Also, you canNOT download kobo books to say a computer and then load them on the pb (as you can kindle and other UN-drm books). The Kobo app only reads books downloaded directly on the pb. In other words that hidden work space canNOT be accessed to place books into either.

If you strip drm (a very separate subject), you can do a lot of stuff with 3rd party book reading apps.
    Last edited by F2; 11-22-12 at 04:02 PM.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-22-12 02:55 PM
    Dont worry... the books are stored on the PB. I've had no problems accessing my Kobo books while im offline.
    11-22-12 03:30 PM
    If you buy a book through your PB Kobo app, it's downloaded to your PB and accessed offline. You can then delete and reload from Kobo anytime. You can also download any book you've purchased to your computer or another tablet. I do it all the time. When we had iPads in the house I downloaded a couple of books purchased for my PB to our iPad for my wife to read. Your Kobo account insn't limited to your PB.
    11-22-12 04:49 PM
    Just to clarify what's already been said above: Kobo "natively" uses what is called a kepub file. It is basically an epub file, but with some differences in formatting etc. The kepub can't be used by other programs than the Kobo ones. This is the file that is automatically downloaded to your Playbook via the Kobo app. These files are usually named with an alpha-numeric name (I assume a hexadecimal?) that will mean nothing to you and since you can't really do anything with it it really won't matter to you. As others have said, in almost all (I think there are still a few exceptions) you can download a DRM protected (or in some cases a non-DRM protected) regular epub file from the Kobo website. If it's DRM protected you're likely going to need to use Adobe Digital Editions to read, but if it is non-DRM (or it magically loses it's DRM) you can read it via any of the normal epub readers (i.e. Aldiko).
    11-22-12 05:37 PM
    I have a kobo touch aswell as a playbook. The Kobo touch has an sd card slot so you can put books onto it you havent bought in the kobo store. i fond it is good to have both, My kobo just stays in my bag always handy when i fancy a read.
    11-26-12 10:40 AM
    Dont worry... the books are stored on the PB. I've had no problems accessing my Kobo books while im offline.
    How are you or anyone doing this? I bought one book on kono from my BlackBerry playbook and my online account says I have no books purchased. This is Strange because it stored my address and credit card info that I in put from the BlackBerry playbook kobo app when I bought the book. KOBO live help were useless. I also had a 20% discount as a 'welcome' on my 'first' purchase, because it didn't know I already had a book. So, how do I sync the online acct w/the KOBO app? Many thanks
    12-09-12 11:42 PM
    Mine are linked together via registering them with facebook.

i hope this helps
    12-10-12 10:49 AM

i hope this helps
    Actyally, thus does help, can you tell me how you did this as I do have a Facebook account. many thx
    12-10-12 11:50 AM
    How are you or anyone doing this? I bought one book on kono from my BlackBerry playbook and my online account says I have no books purchased. This is Strange because it stored my address and credit card info that I in put from the BlackBerry playbook kobo app when I bought the book. KOBO live help were useless. I also had a 20% discount as a 'welcome' on my 'first' purchase, because it didn't know I already had a book. So, how do I sync the online acct w/the KOBO app? Many thanks
    Are you signing in on the Kobo website with the same account email and password you set up for your PB? All 34 books I've purchased from my PB shown in my online library as well.
    12-10-12 05:08 PM
    Are you signing in on the Kobo website with the same account email and password you set up for your PB? All 34 books I've purchased from my PB shown in my online library as well.
    Yes, it's all the same. I don't know if it's because I started with the Playbook app instead of opening the account with the pc or not.
    12-10-12 08:46 PM

i hope this helps
    Well I tried this and it made no difference.
    12-10-12 08:48 PM
    Good news, Diegonie on this site suggested that I send them proof of my purchase. So I uploaded a scanned copy of my charge card bill w/the kobo purchase on it and sent it to live help on Kobo. Up until then, they insisted that I had no purchases on my account, even though I am reading my purchase! Now the live help believe me and they are escalating the situation forward. They said that I should get an email within 48 hrs. I will keep you informed. Cheers
    diegonei likes this.
    12-10-12 09:08 PM
    [QUOTE=castoridae;7773557]Yes, it's all the same. I don't know if it's because I started with the Playbook app instead of opening the account with the pc or not.[/QUOTE

I started with the PB app as well. So if I have this right, you bought a book through your PB account, downloaded it, it's in your PB Kobo library, you've opened it and started reading it, but when you access your Kobo account online you have nothing in your library, correct? If that is the scenario, delete the book from your PB Kobo library, close Kobo, re-start your PB, open Kobo, go to the Kobo store and re-load the book. After the book loads, open it, close Kobo, go to your online Kobo account and check your library again. Let me know if this works. We did this with my daughter's PB and it worked for her. Good luck
    12-10-12 09:19 PM
    [QUOTE=rotorwrench;7773598]
    Yes, it's all the same. I don't know if it's because I started with the Playbook app instead of opening the account with the pc or not.[/QUOTE

I started with the PB app as well. So if I have this right, you bought a book through your PB account, downloaded it, it's in your PB Kobo library, you've opened it and started reading it, but when you access your Kobo account online you have nothing in your library, correct? If that is the scenario, delete the book from your PB Kobo library, close Kobo, re-start your PB, open Kobo, go to the Kobo store and re-load the book. After the book loads, open it, close Kobo, go to your online Kobo account and check your library again. Let me know if this works. We did this with my daughter's PB and it worked for her. Good luck
    What? I just read your answer 3 times and still aren't sure what you're saying. I had considered deleting the book from my playbook, but hesitated because even live help insisted that my library was empty. So they see nothing on my account, even though I have 4 freebees downloaded from when I was playing around with the app before making a purchase. So, in effect, I have 5 books on my playbook kobo - none of which kobo can see. As suggested by one person, I sent kobo live help a scan of my charge bill w/the kobo book. Only then, did they look into it. So, if I tried what you said, I think I would have been in worse shape?
    12-10-12 09:44 PM
    Not sure if it will help, but I seem to recall that there are two Kobo sites. On one nothing showed up. I don't, have urls handy. But it could be that one iso kobobooks.com and the other Kobo.com Someone may be able to double check that you are looking incorrect Site.
    12-10-12 10:24 PM
    Not sure if it will help, but I seem to recall that there are two Kobo sites. On one nothing showed up. I don't, have urls handy. But it could be that one iso kobobooks.com and the other Kobo.com Someone may be able to double check that you are looking incorrect Site.
    No, because live help didn't see anything on my account either, so it wasn't what website I accessed. Tbx
    12-10-12 10:42 PM
    No, because live help didn't see anything on my account either, so it wasn't what website I accessed. Tbx
    When I had a problem, I found their agents kind of clueless. I ended up having to solve problems myself. I did look up thtwo sites and they are as I remembered. If you log into kobobooks.com with exact same name and password and it accepts those, then your books should show in My Library or whatever they call it.

We have. Kobo, so I never had to open an account for PB - Just used our existing sign in.

Good Luck with it.
    12-10-12 11:28 PM
    [QUOTE=castoridae;7773636]

What? I just read your answer 3 times and still aren't sure what you're saying. I had considered deleting the book from my playbook, but hesitated because even live help insisted that my library was empty. So they see nothing on my account, even though I have 4 freebees downloaded from when I was playing around with the app before making a purchase. So, in effect, I have 5 books on my playbook kobo - none of which kobo can see. As suggested by one person, I sent kobo live help a scan of my charge bill w/the kobo book. Only then, did they look into it. So, if I tried what you said, I think I would have been in worse shape?
    Never mind. Best stay with live help from Kobo. What you're describing happened to my daughter and her PB. Apparently the Kobo site wasn't receiving the update to add the books to her online library as with you and when we deleted the books from her PB, then "purchased" them again the Kobo store said "already in library, download now?". So we did and after that they showed up in her online library. It took deleting them and reloading them, with out paying again, on her PB before the appeared online. It resolved the situation, didn't get worse. But I would stay on the course you're already on, you're better off.
    12-11-12 12:50 AM
    i think i had trouble when i first set it up. i treied to link it to my fb account on PB but woulddnt find my books. i uninstalled it. went to the kobo site on my laptop ( to take advantage of the free books and queue them(this ste is irrelevent but it is well worth a look ;-) ), reinstalled it on the pb, signing in with my fb account, and lo and behold all the free books i had just got were there.

you have to make sure that when you bought the book, that account is the one set up to your FB, and that it hasnt set you up a new one based on the FB account.

I really hope you fix this.

you could try book reader for playbook if not, it is �1 and a great book reader, but you would have to source epubs from elsewhere, project gutenburg for example.
    12-11-12 03:50 AM
36 12