Finally decided to give up on waiting to import all my epub files... bought my first book via Kobo and killing off pages over the past two days. I've realized that it's a real battery killer... dropping 15% with only an hour's use, running nothing other then the Kobo reader. Anyone else having this issue? I use less battery watching movies for the same period of time. That can't be right, can it???
    05-18-11 12:06 PM
    I'd downloaded a free book and similarly tried it out (wasn't impressed).

But I didn't notice any unusual power drain.
    05-18-11 12:09 PM
    Try changing to nite mode it may in theory be better since more pixels are turned off and only turned on for text ... just a theory :-S
    05-18-11 12:16 PM
    I've gone through 6 books already on the Playbook uisng Kobo AND playing Slacker radio in background (great combo music with no vocals works best) and I never needed to charge during day. It seemed to be resonable for reading and playing.

Maybe your Bluetooth was on. I turn that off if not needed.
    05-18-11 01:06 PM
    I use Kobo a lot, and haven't noticed any major decline - although because the screen is on non-stop while I'm reading, I do expect to see the battery drop faster than with otherwise.

However I have noticed a big battery drain when I've had Poynt or any other that accesses the GPS functionality running. My theory is that these apps ramp up the GPS radio/receiver which sucks up juice fast, and once you load them, they keep working in the background. Same thing happens on my Torch as well - google maps in particular just sucks the life out my battery...
    05-18-11 01:12 PM
    I bit the bullet and started using KOBO. My daughter has a kindle but I got tired of waiting. Spent my mother's day doing the one thing I don't think I've done since pre-kids (17 years ago) and read a book front cover to back. While the world went on around me, I sat and read on my playbook. I did have to eventually plug it in after many, many hours of reading, but I just kept on reading. I love it. I may just try and tackle War and Peace this summer. It seems less daunting when you can't see the thickness of the book.
    05-19-11 05:56 AM
    I only used Kindle for a little while on my Curve, but I honestly cannot see what Kindle did that Kobo doesn't do? Could someone enlighten me before I invest in a boatload of Kobo books? I liked Kindle a lot, and have only purchased one Kobo book, while I'm trying to wait for Kindle. But I honestly don't see the difference.

That being said, I will probably hold out on buying anymore Kobo books and read the 5 or 6 free Kobo books I've downloaded while waiting to see what Kindle is going to do.
    05-19-11 08:26 AM
    I had kindle on my Storm and was very annoyed when it wasn't on my playbook as I heard it would be. So decided to give Kobo a try.

Now I could care less if kindle comes out...I love kobo.

Always thought kindle sucked anyway...glad I only had a couple of books to lose.

One lousy thing about the reader community in general has always been that series aren't always fully available ...you can get book one and two on a reader but not book three etc. Hope kobo is better about that...
    05-20-11 01:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD