Thanks for the advice but I have 20/20

If what you say is right, then this again demonstrates how bad RIM's marketing is.
    No. It demonstrates that you don't have a CLUE what you're talking about. You obviously don't even own a playbook; you probably haven't seen one in person. Otherwise, it would be OBVIOUS the screen isn't plastic. Seriously. If you don't know what you're talking about, then don't talk.

Oh and .... Playbook > Kindle Fire in some ways ... AND?
    10-09-11 12:32 AM
    No. It demonstrates that you don't have a CLUE what you're talking about. You obviously don't even own a playbook; you probably haven't seen one in person. Otherwise, it would be OBVIOUS the screen isn't plastic. Seriously. If you don't know what you're talking about, then don't talk.

Oh and .... Playbook > Kindle Fire in some ways ... AND?
    Why so serous? You obviously can't know whether I own a playbook or not. So you don't talk. I have one and my original post was typed on it. Now, you go to a BestBuy, put the playbook and the galaxy tab side by side and see if you can tell the difference. If you can't, go see an ophthalmologist.

Re: "Oh and .... Playbook > Kindle Fire in some ways ... AND?" Nothing. Read the OP.

In any case, if you take your Playbook so seriously, after your eye doctor visit, I suggest you also see a psychiatrist. It is just a piece of electronics, and as you made it OBVIOUS, too much emotional attachment to it may be detrimental to one's mental health .
    Last edited by ferganer; 10-09-11 at 04:30 AM.
    10-09-11 04:07 AM
    And the first thing you see at BestBuy is 20-30 tv's that have their color setting turn to vibrant. Then you have people complaining about their ipad screen being too yellow.

But you do need to see a psychiatrist if you think you can see or hear the difference of every little feature that CE firms advertise. Even the cheapest sound system exceeds the capability of human hearing.
    10-09-11 12:12 PM
    If the iPhone is Gorilla Glass I would prefer RIM to stay away from it. The amount of iPhone users that have broken screens is astonishing. I've heard from people that said their phone was dropped from 3 or 4 feet and the screen broke.

From what it sounds like Gorilla Glass is just the more known strong glass that's made so everyone thinks its the one to get. I'm sure there are alternatives out there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Like I said mine fell from 6-7 feet and nothing. I have dropped the 3G and 3GS from that high as well and nothing. I have dropped my Droid and Droid X from high up as well and nothing.

Gorilla Glass is good. I have not met one iPhone users IRL that has ever broken their screen. I have met HTC Inc owners, Storm owners and some LG owners that have. I'm sure every touchscreen device has a lot of users with broken screens, especially the iPhone since it has 5% entire cellphone marketshare, that's a lot of users. My experience with Gorilla Glass has been exceptional and I would recommend it to anyone over a regular glass screen.

That being said, i am not saying the PB has a bad screen or anything. I am sure the PB is very durable.
    10-09-11 12:31 PM
    AFAIK its gorilla glass. When I bought mine one of the salesmen in one of the places I went took a coin and scraped it across the screen quite hard to prove it.
    10-09-11 01:08 PM
    And the first thing you see at BestBuy is 20-30 tv's that have their color setting turn to vibrant. Then you have people complaining about their ipad screen being too yellow.

But you do need to see a psychiatrist if you think you can see or hear the difference of every little feature that CE firms advertise. Even the cheapest sound system exceeds the capability of human hearing.
    are you doubting that some display technologies are objectively and noticeably better than others (as in contrast, viewing angles, etc.) regardless of marketing gimmicks? well, i am sorry for you. probably the best buy store you go to still carries electronics from the 90s., and you haven't seen much of a variety :-)
    besides, nobody said anything about sound. right?
    Last edited by ferganer; 10-09-11 at 06:04 PM.
    10-09-11 03:41 PM
    If every other tablet on the market used ONLY the highest specs and best technology available, then I might be concerned that RIM didn't max out every spec. Every device has its strong points and shortcomings.

Could the screen be better? Maybe. Does it need to be? It's worked great for me so far so I don't feel as if it is a shortcoming. In fact, the beauty of the PB's display is something almost every reviewer agreed upon whether they liked the PB or not. As for Gorilla Glass, its just a brand name. It's the "Monster Cable" of high-strength alkali-aluminosilicate thin sheet glass. The name is trademarked, but the material itself is not exclusive to Corning. Without knowing what the PB glass is made from, I don't see how you can definitively claim that Gorilla Glass is superior.
    10-09-11 04:39 PM
    If every other tablet on the market used ONLY the highest specs and best technology available, then I might be concerned that RIM didn't max out every spec. Every device has its strong points and shortcomings.

Could the screen be better? Maybe. Does it need to be? It's worked great for me so far so I don't feel as if it is a shortcoming. In fact, the beauty of the PB's display is something almost every reviewer agreed upon whether they liked the PB or not. As for Gorilla Glass, its just a brand name. It's the "Monster Cable" of high-strength alkali-aluminosilicate thin sheet glass. The name is trademarked, but the material itself is not exclusive to Corning. Without knowing what the PB glass is made from, I don't see how you can definitively claim that Gorilla Glass is superior.
    i agree with most of what you wrote. but i wouldn't say that there is such thing as adequate specs. if this were true, we would still be living in the world of 8-bit computers with vga screens. there are worse specs and better specs.

PB is far from having max specs anyway. i was just saying that it would be great to see an even better screen (maybe in PB 2) especially considering that it wouldn't cost too much for RIM to put one. at least, not too much considering the 150% original markup for the PB.

as for Gorilla Glass, i personally would also pay a few bucks more just for the brand if it really meant that the screen is durable. this is what brands and reputational capital are for. if a brand costs something, then there is somebody out there making sure that the quality of the brand is maintained. in any case, even if the PB has a generic/non-brand durable anti-scratch glass, i would want to see this listed in the specs so that i don'have to worry about scratching the screen too much.
    Last edited by ferganer; 10-09-11 at 06:05 PM.
    10-09-11 05:59 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD