Kevin,

We know you have your hands full right now in Indonesia, but when you have a moment, can you answer the ultimate PB question regarding data....which is how the PB will allow us to access the web by way of our berry???

There's still a LOT of confusion about this (bridge for data? tether for data?)....since you've had a decent amount of hands-on experience with the PB and time with the folks from RIM, I'm hoping you have some insight

THANKS AND ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!
    01-20-11 12:09 PM
    Bridge is for email, bbm etc... Tether is for browsing the web. Hope that clarifies it for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-11 12:52 PM
    only two things id like to know, will it use wifi for web and bridge for info at the same time (i presume so as what it looked like at CES) and do the volume keys work the same as on phones for tracking thru music when in another app
    01-20-11 12:57 PM
    I'd like a clear answer also but I said in another thread I think the bridge will be for calendar/email/BBm & free, tether will be for web surfing and carriers are going to charge to tether(US, overseas no idea)

But I'd like get a straight answer on native email/calendar, will it be on the wifi version and will it support exchange active sync at release.
    01-20-11 03:53 PM
    I live overseas--- so tether on Blackberry is free plus unlimited data plan..... so i can't wait for the wifi version.
    01-20-11 04:27 PM
    I understand that bridge is for PIM access.....as far as having to tether for web access, that was what I wanted clarification on - whether we'll have to pay extra for this.

When details first started to emerge regarding the PB, I was under the impression, along with many other folks I assume, that the PB would be able to take advantage of the data we ALREADY PAY FOR on our BB phones by linking to it for access.
    01-20-11 07:45 PM
    I found this in the AT&T user agreement and wondering if in fact the pb tethering is detected by AT&T that we can use up to 5gb without additional charges?

AT&T Wireless Customer Agreement - Wireless from AT&T
    6.12 AT&T DataPlusSM/AT&T DataProSM Plans
    6.12.1 What Are the General Terms that Apply to All AT&T DataPlus/AT&T DataPro?Print this section | Print this pageData Services sold for use with AT&T RIM BlackBerry devices, and SMARTPHONEs may not be used with other devices, including but not limited to, personal computers, PC Data Cards and the like, either by tethering devices together, by SIM card transfer or any other means.
    See related links | See all legal
    6.12.2 AT&T DataPlus/AT&T DataPro Plans With TetheringPrint this section | Print this pageAT&T DataPlus/AT&T DataPro plans with Tethering may be used to tether such SMARTPHONE and BlackBerry devices to a personal computer. If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your Service
    01-20-11 08:09 PM
    I found this in the AT&T user agreement and wondering if in fact the pb tethering is detected by AT&T that we can use up to 5gb without additional charges?

AT&T Wireless Customer Agreement - Wireless from AT&T
    6.12 AT&T DataPlusSM/AT&T DataProSM Plans
    6.12.1 What Are the General Terms that Apply to All AT&T DataPlus/AT&T DataPro?Print this section | Print this pageData Services sold for use with AT&T RIM BlackBerry devices, and SMARTPHONEs may not be used with other devices, including but not limited to, personal computers, PC Data Cards and the like, either by tethering devices together, by SIM card transfer or any other means.
    See related links | See all legal
    6.12.2 AT&T DataPlus/AT&T DataPro Plans With TetheringPrint this section | Print this pageAT&T DataPlus/AT&T DataPro plans with Tethering may be used to tether such SMARTPHONE and BlackBerry devices to a personal computer. If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 GB in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your Service
    No basically it saying if you're on an unlimited plan if you go over 5GB that AT&T reserves the right to charge you for more data. It's a soft cap but you're still paying a tethering fee for that plan
    01-20-11 08:14 PM
    Well I messed up a few months back. My finances have been tight and was looking at cutting my bills a bit. Well I cut all my families unlimted plan to save $5 for each family member. Well I am still not using 2gb at the moment but with the playbook, who knows?
    01-20-11 08:28 PM
    Nothing wrong with cutting things. I don't blame you.

There's a $15 option I think for AT&T but it's only 200mb I think. If you go over they charge you another $15 for another 200mb.

If you use the PB and the web to watch videos and such you will probably use a lot more data than you are currently
    01-20-11 08:36 PM
    I understand that bridge is for PIM access.....as far as having to tether for web access, that was what I wanted clarification on - whether we'll have to pay extra for this.......

I agree on the question/confusion....

I don't think anyone from RIM has stated, emphatically, that you can use the bridge to get web access.

I guess the test that would be telling, and we don't have video of this yet, is the following:

- bridged PB and BB, wireless off on the PB, surfing net from PB

If the bridge ONLY gets you the PIM info, and you would need to tether for data (which is $ on VZW), then I would have to think twice about the PB.
    01-21-11 09:17 AM
    I still think it's going to be PIM and RIM needs to make it clear.

Ryan Bidan mentioned everything else except browser

starts at about 1:40 mark

Strange this hasn't been made clear.
    01-21-11 09:46 AM
    You know, while it is still ambiguous, he seems pretty specific in his choice of words. I wonder if in fact you will not be able to use a bridged PB to access the internet (BB Data)......

That would be a bummer...Still a great tablet if so, but one more thing to knock it...I think. Not sure.

I just want clarity on function....
    01-21-11 09:56 AM
    I agree on the question/confusion....

I don't think anyone from RIM has stated, emphatically, that you can use the bridge to get web access.

I guess the test that would be telling, and we don't have video of this yet, is the following:

- bridged PB and BB, wireless off on the PB, surfing net from PB

If the bridge ONLY gets you the PIM info, and you would need to tether for data (which is $ on VZW), then I would have to think twice about the PB.
    Exactly what I'm thinking
    01-21-11 10:00 AM
    You know, while it is still ambiguous, he seems pretty specific in his choice of words. I wonder if in fact you will not be able to use a bridged PB to access the internet (BB Data)......

That would be a bummer...Still a great tablet if so, but one more thing to knock it...I think. Not sure.

I just want clarity on function....
    Yeah that's what I noticed also and he also mentions them again a few mins later when talking about the losing the BT connection.

Maybe we'll find out soon. RIM came out pretty quick about the battery life, a double talk answer as far as native email IMO but they've been pretty quiet on the internet connectivity
    01-21-11 10:09 AM
    Perhaps the makers of the Tether BB app will make a PB app, that we can use.
    01-21-11 10:16 AM
    They probably will. Tethering for free seems to be the holy grail for all platforms

Watched another video from CES 2011

Listen to around the 1:35 mark the guy says the bridge refers to managing his mail, bbm and calendar.

Also if you look at the PB screen, under the BlackBerry tab only BBM,Calendar and Email icons shows up, no browser icon.

I'm going to say you won't be able to access your BB browser to surf on it through the Bridge nor will you get internet through the bridge for the browser on the PB
    01-21-11 10:30 AM
    If that is what it ends up being....that will be a major turn off for a lot of people.

Want your BBM/mail/calendar Amplified....no problem...bridge.

....oh wait...now you need to google something for your client/coworker/etc.......

You either need to disconnect the bridge if you want to use the PB, or you need to pull out your BB and surf from there.

THAT could get cumbersome.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-21-11 10:45 AM
    RIM really needs to clarify this soon. I know the device isn't even out yet but they pushed it SO much at CES, showing what it can do....web browsing on the PB is a HUGE feature and functionality needs to be explained.
    01-21-11 11:35 AM
    RIM really needs to clarify this soon. I know the device isn't even out yet but they pushed it SO much at CES, showing what it can do....web browsing on the PB is a HUGE feature and functionality needs to be explained.
    It may be dependent on what the carriers want to do, and on whether or not they wish to charge for tethering.
    01-21-11 11:40 AM
    If that is what it ends up being....that will be a major turn off for a lot of people.

Want your BBM/mail/calendar Amplified....no problem...bridge.

....oh wait...now you need to google something for your client/coworker/etc.......

You either need to disconnect the bridge if you want to use the PB, or you need to pull out your BB and surf from there.

THAT could get cumbersome.
    this! i think some of you are starting to catch on the the whole "tethering" idea. I think there is a reason no one has come out to say much about it. If you can get data over the "bridge" and therefore have NO extra cost thru your service provider then RIM would have said that already. Its got to be top 3 question so why not just answer it right? We that is the thing. If you answer it now but its not part of the bridge and you still have to get data via tether at extra cost or wifi then you probably do want to come out and say that because its a huge strike against you. I would say most people that who say they will purchase this not matter what or other such comments are expecting the data access be shared with the BB and will not be an extra cost. who knows, still to much secrecy about this device that was introduced 4.5 months ago.
    Kerms likes this.
    01-21-11 11:54 AM
    The more I think about it, I think RIM may be missing one option with the PB that they really need to consider:

3G/4G versions that have the access bundled into the device a la Kindle 3G. I think done this way, and priced right, people would be willing to pay more than the WiFi only version. But if the 3G requires a separate sub/plan, people are less likely to spring for that, even if over the useful life of the device the data costs equal the same add-on cost of a bundled unit versus the wifi only.

In today's economy, even with those of us that love technology, people are going to be tight with their pockets. As it is, since I am buying a VZW iPhone for my wife to replace her very antiquated dumb phone, I will have to think twice now about a wifi Playbook. And for me, a 3G/4G Playbook with it's own sub/plan....totally out of the question.

Now, it could very well be for this line of thinking that we haven't heard what we want to know. Perhaps RIM is working deals with the carriers. But I doubt it. If (for example) VZW were to allow free, full, unlimited tethering with the Playbook, then they are going to have a lot of angry customers who pay to tether their phones legitimately. Sure, the Tether App is out there, but even if a carrier is not watching use closely (or at all), it still violates the TOS.

Sooooooooooooooo, I think we just need to sit back and wait and see. Granted, I love my Bold 9650, but my household is on the cusp of a conversion to Apple devices (no flaming/hate please).....an iPhone for my Wife, an iMac as out next home computer....possibly a Macbook for my daughter in a couple of years.....etc. The future will be quite interesting indeed......
    01-21-11 12:37 PM
    Exactly Matt. That's what I was hinting at on the page 1 of this thread. RIM came out about the battery issue pretty quick. They gave a double talk ** hum about the native email and has been silent on this internet connectivity.

One of the most common reasons I see posted for wanting a PB is I don't want another data plan.

Said it in another thread about this very subject that I felt Mike misspoke when he was being interviewed and mention using the BB and no other data plan. Misspoke may not be the right word but it was a stretch because many were led to believe they would be able to surf the net for free. Overseas that may be true but here in the US look forward to tethering fees.

I think the silence is speaking for itself. This issue has been mentioned on many blogs other than here at crackberry but still no response
    01-21-11 12:40 PM
    The more I think about it, I think RIM may be missing one option with the PB that they really need to consider:

3G/4G versions that have the access bundled into the device a la Kindle 3G. I think done this way, and priced right, people would be willing to pay more than the WiFi only version. But if the 3G requires a separate sub/plan, people are less likely to spring for that, even if over the useful life of the device the data costs equal the same add-on cost of a bundled unit versus the wifi only.

In today's economy, even with those of us that love technology, people are going to be tight with their pockets. As it is, since I am buying a VZW iPhone for my wife to replace her very antiquated dumb phone, I will have to think twice now about a wifi Playbook. And for me, a 3G/4G Playbook with it's own sub/plan....totally out of the question.

Now, it could very well be for this line of thinking that we haven't heard what we want to know. Perhaps RIM is working deals with the carriers. But I doubt it. If (for example) VZW were to allow free, full, unlimited tethering with the Playbook, then they are going to have a lot of angry customers who pay to tether their phones legitimately. Sure, the Tether App is out there, but even if a carrier is not watching use closely (or at all), it still violates the TOS.

Sooooooooooooooo, I think we just need to sit back and wait and see. Granted, I love my Bold 9650, but my household is on the cusp of a conversion to Apple devices (no flaming/hate please).....an iPhone for my Wife, an iMac as out next home computer....possibly a Macbook for my daughter in a couple of years.....etc. The future will be quite interesting indeed......
    I think people will buy a 3G/4G version as long as they don't have to be tied to a contract. That way they can buy data as needed . There are pros and cons to tethering.

I'm leaning toward getting a tablet that has 3G/4G ability opposite of my phone carrier (phone on AT&T, Tablet on Verizon, etc)as long as I can pay as you go and not be forced into a contract.

I also can't see any US carrier letting the PlayBook tether for free but not the iPad, Tab or Xoom or even allowing you to tether to your laptop.

If they do I'd say yeah you're gonna have plenty of miffed off people who will start looking into the other methods of tethering behind the scenes
    01-21-11 12:47 PM
    i am thinking about getting a Xoom with month to month and then just dropping the plan after the first month. I already have wifi hotspot on my phone so i dont need need the 3g service as it is
    01-21-11 12:55 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD