This may be a dumb question. I may be purchasing a playbook for someone for Christmas. I saw that they will soon be discounted at staples. If I were to purchase a playbook in the next week or two, would it be ok sitting in the box til December 25th? I'm concerned about long term effects on the battery as a result of not charging it all that time. What do you guys think?
    09-24-11 02:45 PM
    I have a feeling that sitting on a warehouse shelf or in a dark closet will not make much difference.

(edited to add: of course, you will be wasting about 3 months of warranty coverage by purchasing it so early and not having it tested/running).
    09-24-11 03:19 PM
    It sits in a box in a warehouse or store

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-24-11 03:24 PM
    That's true I didn't even think about the warranty, good point. I wonder what the average time a playbook spends on the shelf is too
    09-24-11 03:26 PM
    The Li-ion batteries are usually charged to between the 40-60% range which allows for a pretty long dormant period.
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-24-11 04:06 PM
    awesome, thats good to know. i wont hesitate to store it then, just got to think about loosing 1/4 or the warranty. opinions on this?
    09-24-11 08:33 PM
    Unless 2.0 includes an enormous marketing campaign by RIM, I don't really see the devices becoming hard to find or the prices really going up before xMas.

IMO, it's not that the PlayBook is disliked, its just unknown.
    09-24-11 08:39 PM
    This may be a dumb question. I may be purchasing a playbook for someone for Christmas. I saw that they will soon be discounted at staples. If I were to purchase a playbook in the next week or two, would it be ok sitting in the box til December 25th? I'm concerned about long term effects on the battery as a result of not charging it all that time. What do you guys think?
    I think I would at least take it out to test it make sure its not a lemon - (dead pixels or something) - charge the battery etc, just to be on the safe side. Too late to return it later.
    09-24-11 08:49 PM
    If you dont want to store it then dont worry you will be able to buy it at christmas. The playbook is not being discontinued.
    Last edited by Thebigo3d; 09-24-11 at 10:07 PM.
    09-24-11 10:04 PM
    If you dont want to store it then dont worry you will be able to buy it at christmas. The playbook is not being discontinued.
    True, though the price may stabilize or go back up after OS 2.0?
    09-25-11 02:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD