He's a network developer, and there is a lot going on that you don't know, and he has only given me a very small amount of information regarding Skype and the RIM video chat and integration with the 2.
    Then why is RIM not telling us to relax? If they have all of this in the works, then tell us things are coming. They do not have to be too specific.
    02-29-12 10:50 AM
    Skype and RIM are partnering up for something else, RIM doesn't want a SKYPE app, They want a video chat platform that incorporates SKYPE. Branded under Blackberry, NOT Skype....
    And how many months, years, DECADES will that take? Sorry, if my cynicism hackles are up this morning.
    02-29-12 11:04 AM
    And how many months, years, DECADES will that take? Sorry, if my cynicism hackles are up this morning.
    Probably within the next few months, BB10 launching in probably August/September they want to have the fluidity of BBM and video chat integrated (like facetime) so expect it by mid to late summer, since the PB is the so called "guinea pig" for the BB10 platform, we should expect big enhancements by June/July time frame
    02-29-12 11:08 AM
    WHY, WHY, WHY Don't people search??? I said this last week http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...coming-698545/

No amount of pathetic SPAM tweets, SPAM emails is going to get them to develop! My friend works at RIM and said IT IS NOT COMING!!!
    Are you not the one who started yet another Netflix/skype thread?
    bobauckland and Chrisy like this.
    02-29-12 11:08 AM
    How about if you want to Skype you use your Laptop, Desktop, iPad 2 or your TV (Samsung and Sony both support Skype)?

PB is not necessary for Skype, plus you have to be on wifi anyways so having it on a tablet isn't a necessity for most.
    02-29-12 11:09 AM
    Are you not the one who started yet another Netflix/skype thread?
    yup, because people should know why RIM and Skype aren't working on an official skype app....
    02-29-12 11:10 AM
    How about if you want to Skype you use your Laptop, Desktop, iPad 2 or your TV (Samsung and Sony both support Skype)?

PB is not necessary for Skype, plus you have to be on wifi anyways so having it on a tablet isn't a necessity for most.
    dude, don't go there, you will get chastised for making people carry a playbook and a laptop places....
    02-29-12 11:11 AM
    Nothing on the @skype account and @skypehelp doesn't seem to exist.
    Can you post a screenshot confirming your convo?
    not sure how to upload pictures on here.. haven't had any luck yet... but if u go through my timeline you'll find it @adud44 or @SkypeSupport
    02-29-12 11:13 AM
    Skype and RIM are partnering up for something else, RIM doesn't want a SKYPE app, They want a video chat platform that incorporates SKYPE. Branded under Blackberry, NOT Skype....
    Yes, I know we've batted this particular spitball around a bit...

The chat client is beautiful, frankly, and I'd love to see Skype incorporated into it. So would many users I've chatted with.

Do we have ANY SENSE AT ALL on a timeframe on this?
    02-29-12 11:14 AM
    don't care about skype, if tango will be in PB why ask for skype, I Hate Skype, because they are so unfair with Playbook, if Skype is like Engadget, they both sucks!
    if u don't care about Skype then don't post in a thread about Skype.. its that simple... but where is tango.?? tango is in the same boat as Skype as far as I'm concerned... i just want VOIP and video chat cross platform.. i need it for communicating with the people i know over seas and the playbook would be ideal for this.. instead of my Computer or iPhone
    02-29-12 11:16 AM

There is a good sales pitch.... "Why should we support feature X when u can get it on a competing device?!?"

/sarcasm
    02-29-12 11:17 AM
    Everyone time I see a new Skype thread, I have a glimmer of hope but the truth is Skype will be on our beloved PlayBook's if and when they are ready. I've sent them emails, signed a petition like many others and they don't seem to care. I make many international calls and I won't be renewing my Skype credit.
    i want to delete my Skype account as well but what a viable alternative.. i make calls overseas everyday... and theres nothing on the playbook now
    02-29-12 11:18 AM
    where is this proof at,...??? please provide sources
    02-29-12 11:20 AM
    Why bother with Skype if we can dig our own road?. No Netflix? We have the BB Video Store. No Skype? We have Tango. No Kindle? We have Kobo (okay, we do have one ...but as a sideloaded android app ). RIM has the resources to be self-sufficient.
    once again .. where is tango...??/ show me and I'm done with skype..
    02-29-12 11:21 AM

thats the funniest thing I've heard all decade...
    bobauckland likes this.
    02-29-12 11:25 AM
    where is this proof at,...??? please provide sources
    You won't get any sources, but we are supposed to trust him.

Quicksilver you might be right, you might not, until theres official word you have to understand why people would be skeptical about 'In the know' posts.
    02-29-12 01:09 PM
    Wouldn't it be in RIM's interest to appease it's customers by making an official statement that they working to integrate a crossplatform voice chat system?
    panterarck likes this.
    02-29-12 02:05 PM
    I agree with a previous poster, give us BB videochat client on PC, I talk to my folks in the UK by skype and the picture is OK (ie, a bit grainy/flaky), picture quality over playbook on same connection is much better.

Skype got popular as it was free and of reasonable quality, if RIM could improve on that model they could get some extra traction, add in bbm to that!!
    02-29-12 02:25 PM
    Having their own service is a good idea but if they want mass market support they will need 3rd party involvement. People are not going to want to adopt another voice/video chat system. Maybe not Skype but they will need to get involved in something that's already established.
    02-29-12 02:25 PM
    Perhaps... but sometimes it's more efficient not to re-invent the wheel. That's the beauty of licensing.

Why bother with Skype if we can dig our own road?. No Netflix? We have the BB Video Store. No Skype? We have Tango. No Kindle? We have Kobo (okay, we do have one ...but as a sideloaded android app ). RIM has the resources to be self-sufficient.
    02-29-12 02:28 PM
    03-01-12 12:08 PM
    Tweeted them ... also note that their website says Target audience: All consumers that own a smartphone across the globe, across all demographics

Wish I'd seen that before I'd Tweeted... someone else can use it tho!
    currygoat likes this.
    03-02-12 03:22 AM
    Mods, can we have a Skype sub-forum please? For a group that want to use the same platform, you all shout from a whole range of rooftops....
    03-02-12 03:43 AM
    tweeted twice: 1st: "As a customer from the beginning I would like to know why you are not making an app for the #PlayBook? What about our demographic?" 2nd "are we not included as a consumer on this globe with a smartphone or is apple and android the only demographic you care about?"
    03-02-12 04:16 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD