I finally got around to purchasing a Blackberry Playbook! (64 GB) Are there any tips from the pros that can help me start using it well. Beyond just the reviews and tutorials?
    playbookster likes this.
    10-01-12 08:47 PM
    I was really happy. I managed to get it for 170 US Dollars! Off of Amazon!
    EricB1968 likes this.
    10-01-12 08:49 PM
    Great price man! Im not sure what tips the tutorials and reviews told you. Is it apps and games you are looking for? Did the tutorials show you all the gestures?
    10-01-12 08:52 PM
    it depends what you are looking for. I prefer 2.1 beta os, and sideloaded kindle app.
    10-01-12 08:52 PM
    First, go get the complimentary games featured in AppWorld.
    10-01-12 08:53 PM
    I finally got around to purchasing a Blackberry Playbook! (64 GB) Are there any tips from the pros that can help me start using it well. Beyond just the reviews and tutorials?

The best tip I can give you is that if you want the most out of the Playbook, best to ask people about the best apps to use for what you are wanting to do.

For instance, it does streaming, remote desktop, browsing, tethering and can be used to give presentations, with a Blackberry phone used as a remote mouse/keyboard. You can create music as well as play back music with it. You can also play videos, with some restrictions. There are also numerous emulators, and the PSX emulator in particular is awesome. It can also videoconference, either web-based or using the built-in native capability. Again, with some caveats. Same with playing Android apps or games. Also, the App World isn't the only way to get apps or games into your machine.

The thing is.. there's usually more than one app to do these things, not all are equal, and it may not even be obvious what can or can't be done with the Playbook, or how.

I don't know about you, but I didn't even get a manual with my Playbook, so it took quite a while to learn what gesture does what. I understand a manual does exist for it online, but I was able to make do without.. so it can be a learning experience. The short training tutorial upon first bootup was brief enough that I questioned whether that was 'all there was to it', lol.
    Last edited by BennyX; 10-01-12 at 09:02 PM.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    10-01-12 08:56 PM
    Great price man! Im not sure what tips the tutorials and reviews told you. Is it apps and games you are looking for? Did the tutorials show you all the gestures?
    The tutorials showed me all the gestures (+1 to crackberry.com there) and I'm sure I will be able to do fine. Just looking for some miscellaneous advance tidbits for experienced pros and I would really like to demonstrate the Playbook's capabilities to all the (friendly) iPad users I know. And knowing some more advanced stuff could help with that as well as make me more productive with my product.
    10-01-12 09:01 PM
    The RED outlined upper left hand corner(when it appears) is a notification. Swipe down slightly from it to the center when it appears to open email or other notices.

There's a quite long Sticky up at the top of this subforum with lots of tricks and tips.
    10-01-12 09:26 PM
    App world has a free movie.
    Also you can trade it in on the 128GB Model coming out real soon.
    10-02-12 04:59 AM
    Oh, speaking about "free" - see if Box is still giving away, is it, 50gigs of storage for free.
    10-02-12 09:41 AM
    Oh, speaking about "free" - see if Box is still giving away, is it, 50gigs of storage for free.
    Box is still free but it is only 5GB (did it used to be 50?)
    Last edited by jasaxon; 10-02-12 at 10:22 AM.
    10-02-12 10:16 AM
    Are there any tips
    The latest tip is not to believe OS update rumours.

Also, lately there has been some good free games in app world. Shadowgun being one of them.
    10-02-12 11:46 AM
    My tip would be to NOT be among the first to update when the next official version comes out. Give the geniuses on these forums (no that is not sarcasm... there are some really smart people here) time to let everyone know if there are "issues" or not. I learned this one the hard way.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    10-02-12 01:04 PM
    Box is still free but it is only 5GB (did it used to be 50?)
    On a video that BlackBerry released on YouTube very recently, a spokesman from Box said that it was still 50GB if you signed up through the PlayBook and that Box would be well integrated with BB10.
    10-02-12 01:49 PM
    Congrats on your purchase.....follow the threads here and have fun.
    10-02-12 02:51 PM
    Coolies.. and congratz, I also just got mine , a little late to get one, but who cares, it's a nice little toy (or tool)
    10-04-12 08:40 AM
    Buy a rapid charger - it charges your pb much faster, and reduced the wear on the micro usb port on the unit. Learned this one the hard way, but luckily, RIM replaced the unit under warranty.....

If you do a lot of typing, buy the RIM keyboard. There is a learning curve with it (it seems so small and poky after a regular keyboard) but now I'm faster on it than on my pc keyboard. Never could get the hang of the virtual keyboard....also, the RIM keyboard has a mouse which is fab. I thought I would have to return the keyboard at the beginning as I was so useless with it, but after 2 or 3 hours practice, I began to get very fast. Thankfully, I had read a review by someone who said the same thing I'm saying here - that is, to persist and practice!

It does take a while to get completely comfortable with the gestures, but they are wonderful when you get used to them. I realized that I do practically everything with my thumbs. Also, the cut and paste is fantastic, but you have to get used to it. I've seen a lot of people complain about it, but I think they just haven't figured it out.

Having the keyboard allows me to scroll with my left hand on the screen while simultaneously using the mouse with my right hand - best of both worlds.

Lots more I could say, but am off to update my OS....
    10-04-12 09:01 AM
    Buy a stylus,and get the otterbox defender for your tablet.you can buy it on amazon for under $30
    10-04-12 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD