Because your BlackBerry I'd would merge the two accounts.

What about the PlayBook owners that don't have BlackBerry phones. Are they just expected not to have it as well.

To me - it would be a glaring omission NOT to have it on a wifi-only PlayBook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-11 03:31 PM
    If OP is telling the truth then thank you for the giving me hope on the PlayBook.
    09-17-11 03:39 PM
    People keep talking about native BBM on a wifi PB, not sure where it is coming from but I've still yet to hear anything official about it happening. At the earnings call they covered the 2.0 update and never once mentioned native BBM. Which seems kind of crazy to me. BBM is one of the best things RIM has. If they were gonna give it to the PB without Bridge wouldn't they have said so?

For months now I've been saying that native BBM on a wifi PB is very unlikely. After the earnings call I have even more doubts. It don't even make sense why they would do that. Why give all BB + PB owners two BBM accounts to mange? Or why give all BB owners a way to keep BBM without paying for BIS or BES?

I wont believe it till I see it on my PB.
    My guess (pure speculation) is that your PlayBook PIN will be tied to your BlackBerry ID -- so if you wish to use the same PIN/ID as your BlackBerry phone (if you have one) then you will have that option, and thus not have two separate BBM accounts. Who knows if that's the route RIM ultimately chose, but it would make the most sense to me.
    09-17-11 03:45 PM
    My guess (pure speculation) is that your PlayBook PIN will be tied to your BlackBerry ID -- so if you wish to use the same PIN/ID as your BlackBerry phone (if you have one) then you will have that option, and thus not have two separate BBM accounts. Who knows if that's the route RIM ultimately chose, but it would make the most sense to me.
    Bulls I am with you on this.They will probablly combine our BBID+ pins of all devices owned by the individual for one BBM account.
    tkresge likes this.
    09-17-11 04:01 PM
    Native email, full BBM, BBM Music, native Facebook, Twitter etc, Calendar, Android Apps? Fluid operation? Well sounds complete. I think its time to play old Steve Jobs at his game and take one to a well placed bar and 'lose it' to drum up interest.
    cielodome, mtint, yauchunh and 5 others like this.
    09-17-11 04:05 PM
    Native email, full BBM, BBM Music, native Facebook, Twitter etc, Calendar, Android Apps? Fluid operation? Well sounds complete. I think its time to play old Steve Jobs at his game and take one to a well placed bar and 'lose it' to drum up interest.
    It irks me that something like this makes the 6 O'Clock news when there are wars in Libya, Ivory Coast etc., and economic downfall all over the world.

ekafara likes this.
    09-17-11 04:18 PM
    Bulls I am with you on this.They will probablly combine our BBID+ pins of all devices owned by the individual for one BBM account.
    Hope so... having to maintain two accounts would be ridiculous.
    09-17-11 04:21 PM
    thanks op! nice to hear how the work in progress is coming along. sounds like its gonna be a great update
    09-17-11 04:21 PM
    Yeah but if that was what would ultimately happen why did they waste the time, effort and money to make Bridge? Bridge has all these features that took a lot of work to make and evidently 2.0 will make it basically nothing but a way to get data. Seems like a waste of work.

Also why in the world are they not screaming as loud as they can that native BBM is coming to a wifi PB? That feature alone would make a lot of ex BB users happy, they could keep their iphone or Android and be able to get back on BBM. I have a friend that would buy a PB for BBM with no monthly fee, I'm sure many other people out there would also. RIM should have been saying Native BBM is coming months ago just like they have been about email and all of the other things they have been promissing, yet they have never once said anything about it. Even though as we all know RIM has no problem telling us what all is coming. It makes no sense unless RIM is really completely clueless.

Don't get me wrong I hope it happens. I just don't understand why everyone is so sure it will when RIM hasn't said anything about it. Ever, if RIM has said a wifi only PB will have BBM without bridge I would love to see a link for it.
    09-17-11 04:34 PM
    I must be dense this afternoon, but where do you need auto cap except for emails and such, which are bridged and currently do auto cap?
    How about when I am typing in text boxes such as this comment box? Since this feature is available in Docs to Go I really don't see why it can't be implemented throughout the entire OS.
    09-17-11 04:42 PM
    i dont get it. this 2.0 update doesnt sound like it has changed much. im not interested in aesthetics or layout. the keyboard needs to be uodated with spell check. as with native email, when u do use bridge, does it pull emails from your bb or what? i might want to just stick with mybridged apps.
    09-17-11 04:55 PM
    i feel like a kid thats just opened door number 1 on their Advent calendar! it could be just 30 days away... it feels like christmas is coming!!11!one1
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-17-11 05:37 PM
    i dont get it. this 2.0 update doesnt sound like it has changed much. im not interested in aesthetics or layout. the keyboard needs to be uodated with spell check. as with native email, when u do use bridge, does it pull emails from your bb or what? i might want to just stick with mybridged apps.
    As far as I am aware, from the screenshots posted of v2.0, native mail will be Pop/Imap which leads me to believe that if things stay as they are you will have the ability to use your bridge connection to download the emails should you wish to.

I like the way Bridge functions so I think I will stick with it.
    09-17-11 06:01 PM
    I actually like the tabs, that come with Playbook
    09-17-11 06:03 PM
    I must be dense this afternoon, but where do you need auto cap except for emails and such, which are bridged and currently do auto cap?
    Errr what about when im on here typing out a reply???...the fact that RIM left it out from the start is pathetic...people have a good ole bash at apple for them leaving features out in their products but at least they get their ipad keyboards working right.

Fed up of RIM playing catch up with their phones and their tablet...just get the freaking thing right first time round FFS.
    biggulpseh likes this.
    09-17-11 06:52 PM
    I'm interested in this update and whats going to come with.
    09-17-11 07:55 PM
    EDIT: too sleepy in the morning. Wrong post - sorry
    Last edited by mtint; 09-17-11 at 08:31 PM.
    09-17-11 08:28 PM
    How do update a keyboard to have spell check? Do you just put a dictionary on top of it?

09-17-11 08:53 PM
    The thing that disturbs me about this whole discussion is that it goes away from the important premise of security.
    The most important function that sets the PB far apart from any other tablet is that when you are in proximity to an authorized BB phone then only when that there is a secured connection they share data.
    In the case of native email I believe they will allow the PB to be set up on it's own to send and receive email.
    Also the PB will still have bridge connection to share the BB phone email.

BBM is something different. I believe there will only be access when an authorized BB phone is bridge connected for security reasons. For that reason the RIM information given this week does not say, as far as I understand, that BBM on PB will be available without a BB phone connected.
    09-17-11 08:53 PM
    The thing that disturbs me about this whole discussion is that it goes away from the important premise of security.
    The most important function that sets the PB far apart from any other tablet is that when you are in proximity to an authorized BB phone then only when that there is a secured connection they share data.
    In the case of native email I believe they will allow the PB to be set up on it's own to send and receive email.
    Also the PB will still have bridge connection to share the BB phone email.

BBM is something different. I believe there will only be access when an authorized BB phone is bridge connected for security reasons. For that reason the RIM information given this week does not say, as far as I understand, that BBM on PB will be available without a BB phone connected.
    Well, that might be an issue. But unless RIM truly wants to limit the pool of buyers to security minded folks, they have to do something. In addition, as many who argue against native email suggest - there's still the web browser and email access and what's the security for that browser access?
    09-17-11 10:29 PM
    bbm IS coming to wifi pb. just sayin.

09-17-11 10:38 PM
    How about when I am typing in text boxes such as this comment box? Since this feature is available in Docs to Go I really don't see why it can't be implemented throughout the entire OS.
    When I type in a comment box using my PC my computer does not auto cap...
    QWKSNKE likes this.
    09-17-11 10:41 PM
    bbm IS coming to wifi pb. just sayin.

I'm sorry. Don't mean to be rude but the first thought that popped into my head when I read that comment was. Who the fk are you?

Can't be spreading rumors all willy nilly like that.
    black hole likes this.
    09-17-11 11:48 PM
    I'm sorry. Don't mean to be rude but the first thought that popped into my head when I read that comment was. Who the fk are you?

Can't be spreading rumors all willy nilly like that.
    im a blackberry user who is very addicted.

sorry, i get fed up with all the speculation and freaking out that goes on. So every now and then i like to spread a little fact in the midst. Like the fella a few posts ago who claims the pb native email client is nothing more than a pop3 client with no push capabilities.... uh... ok....... and it took RIM 12 months to program that? i dont think so! the reason the native pim apps are taking so long is because they are the real blackberry deal.... im not spreading rumors all willy nilly - lol

i believe the reason Mike left out bbm in his portion of the call was because he isnt certain that it will be included for the first v2.0 release.... they are working on it, that much i know is true

09-18-11 12:00 AM
    im a blackberry user who is very addicted.

sorry, i get fed up with all the speculation and freaking out that goes on. So every now and then i like to spread a little fact in the midst. Like the fella a few posts ago who claims the pb native email client is nothing more than a pop3 client with no push capabilities.... uh... ok....... and it took RIM 12 months to program that? i dont think so! the reason the native pim apps are taking so long is because they are the real blackberry deal.... im not spreading rumors all willy nilly - lol

i believe the reason Mike left out bbm in his portion of the call was because he isnt certain that it will be included for the first v2.0 release.... they are working on it, that much i know is true

I don't know where you get your information, but it makes a lot of sense to me. On the other hand, before the release, there was talk of a bridge, but what they actually rolled out was better than what I imagined.

There's a lot of speculation going on here as well as some potentially real observation that's really stirring the pot. The reality is that in 30 days or so (probably more like 'or so') we'll all know. The other reality is that an earnings call that contained some tangible information for us to get excited about - whether or not it's the truth or spin - has made this single thread single handedly alter the tone of many people here.

The thing I find funny is that for weeks, people have been clammoring for native PIM and the Android Player. A few days ago, we get an announcement that both are coming. RIM is calling it a major release, yet some of us are still complaining - this time about features that they are assuming that RIM is going to leave out. All I can say is to give it all a break.

At the rate this thread is going, no one is going to make it to 2.0 without going completely insane. It's not a rumor anymore. There will certainly be more leaks as we approach. I think we're even going to see some new commercials (2 weeks until the baseboall playoffs start and TNT network tends to be a RIM network of choice during sporting events). Pretty soon, we're all going to know exactly what 2.0 is. Some of us will have our sox knocked off. Others will be content that it deliverred what was promised. And the rest will complain about what was omitted and start threatening to leave RIM.

The Playbook's Tablet OS is going to change dramatically. The forum topics will not.
    09-18-11 12:29 AM
198 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD