I was torn, as I was thinking I should order a Kindle Fire for her as she doesn't have a Blackberry, and I thought it might be more newbie-friendly.

Then I read some of the reviews on Amazon.com (just the top few); and I heard the browser is'nt necessarily any faster.

The other thought was....I know the PB is quality, and I'll be able to assist her better as I'm more familiar with it.

Bestbuy still has the 199 16gb's.

Now for the wireless. I have a netgear extended range router, and the last update did not fix the Wifi issue for me.

I deleted my wireless profiles on the PB, and finally managed to log into the router to switch to b and g only from mixed mode. I also went from WEP to WKA2.

It was 192.168.1.1.....I had been trying 198 .168.1.1.

Anyways, some combo of the above fixed it. Tethering had always worked fine.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by mysterfrosty; 12-22-11 at 07:02 PM.
    12-22-11 07:00 PM
    Thanks for posting - it might help someone else.
    12-22-11 08:45 PM
    what could also help is changing your router channel to one thats not used in your area. a lot of people leave their channels as default be it 9 or 11 and with too many people on the same channel, signal quality drops.

Download inSSIDer and Discover the Wi-Fi Networks Around You | MetaGeek is such a tool that lets you see all the wifi routers in your area and their channel.

for example:

buncha ppl have 6 and 10 as their channel. set yours to 1-3 and your wifi signal will be solid as no one else is using those bands. less interference = profit!
    12-22-11 09:57 PM
    Good point. I actually switched that too. Forgot about that.
    12-22-11 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD