Is it just me that RIM are trying to send insane!
12-26-12 10:09 AM
- Yes, before all the stalwart bb owners and moderators start bombarding me with grief because I dare to talk about RIM as I see them in the real world, I would like to mention that I now own six pb's and three bb phones. Now that's out of the way I would just like to ask, why is it that every time I see that upgrade notification I cringe with fear.
After each previous upgrade I have then spent hours getting my pb's back into some sort of usable state. After spending several weeks using my pb with no noticeable problems, RIM strike again! It's as though they resent me enjoying my pb and have some vendetta against an end user being happy with their product.
The latest os update appeared on my screen of my fully functional pb and like some sort of bb lemming I couldn't resist leaping of the cliff and pushing the button. Luckily the other five pb's didn't suffer the same demise and are still functioning correctly, but please don't tell RIM that or I will have men in black suits and black cars hunting me down and forcing me to upgrade!
I use Gmail to sync all of my pb's and bb phones together for Calander and contacts and it has worked perfectly in the past. Since the unannounced, undocumented and unexpected upgrade from RIM all that has changed. I now have:
1. 38 Blank contact entries with just the persons photo but no information details. Only the important stuff like address, phone number etc.
2. Three separate entries in my accounts file instead of one. Gmail, Gmail Calendar and Gmail Contacts.
3. All of my remaining contacts have strange website details included and fields added with spurious information in them.
4. If I dare to add a contact or calendar item, after thinking about it and displaying the sync symbol for five minutes it duplicates the entry six times!
Is it really too much to ask of RIM to actually inform the end user (CUSTOMER) about what the upgrade is addressing, or are they afraid of some end users being capable of reading the upgrade documentation and realising that it will scew their os up?
I too have been eagerly awaiting bb10 and my phone is due for an upgrade in March 13, but what is the point in continuing to display loyalty to a company that shows absolutely zero loyalty or concern for its end users, unless of course it happens to be a senator or some government department!
Anyway back to the onslaught of backing up, factory reset, recovering files and all the other work involved after a simple 37mb upgrade.
Is their life after bb12-22-12 08:28 AM
- I waited on the prior OS for about a week. This time I just went for it, although, pb 2 is still in the wings waiting.
Folks did find a list somewhere that was posted in one of the OS threads but I'm sure it did NOT clearly state it would break YOUR pb's gmail stuff. One would always hope that they get it right but that does not mean it won't affect some folks in a bad manner.
Just good luck getting it all working again.12-22-12 10:26 AM
- Google sync for BB stopped functionality like two weeks back, it was originally supposed to end in
Sept. http://support.google.com/a/bin/answ...answer=249526912-22-12 12:58 PM
- the server won't be so busy, and the update is fast
- I have the benefit of reading in forums about any issues folks have had.12-22-12 01:34 PMLike 1
- I've had no issues with any updates on either of my PBs since day one. I know that some have had issues after updates and our IT guy at work has a plausible explanation that has merit. He has been managing our 8 PBs at work for a year now, and with the 15 years of experience of managing the computers, networks, Enterprise and phones of three other companies besides ours, I've come to recognize his talent and expertise. He attributes the problems some tablets (yes, other tablets as well, read their forums) have after an update is in all probability due to preexisting issues with the device before the update, that being anything as simple as a corrupt file, a bad app, bad sideloads or a previously botched update. The new update exposing or worsening a formally relatively benign problem. The same thing occurs with many computer updates as many can attest to. If the cause was the update itself then all updated devices would be affected, which has never been the case with the PB.
Out of the 8 PBs at work, only one has ever experienced any issues after an update, happened one time and based on its logs, was attributed to a previously corrupted app installation that was never deleted. The app was uninstalled and an OS reload was performed with no issues since. The problems you (OP) are experiencing are very doubtfully the result of the update. Based on your previous posts this is not your first problem with updates which lends evidence to the fact that you have other problems that have never been resolved. Based on that I predict you will continue to have problems with updates until the original problem is corrected. If you are loading backups after a wipe, you're probably reloading your original problem as well.
On a side note, I'm with Chaddface in being surprised at your appearance after that goodbye thread. Curious isn't it.12-23-12 01:30 AMLike 7
I also have never had problems following an upgrade of my Playbook's OS, does that make me wrong or bad or in need of a "change of attitude"? No, that simply means, I haven't had the same problems.
Si.12-23-12 05:55 PM
Trust me, I know. I got told off again for not using the correct wording recently.
Si.12-23-12 05:58 PM
- After all the helpful comments from the members who responded to my OP regarding my gmail problem since the upgrade to 220.127.116.114, I decided to fix it myself.
Since the upgrade my Gmail setup defaults to Imap settings and not the m.google.com setting that it originally did. This works but causes multiple entries in accounts for mail, calendar and contacts and total disruption to my existing contacts file. Account deleted and setup again several times but always defaulted to Imap settings even using advanced setup. Selecting gmail setup and entering m.google.com as the address caused error messages.
1. No need to security wipe.
2. No need to delete existing gmail account first.
3. In Accounts select 'Add New Account'.
4. Select 'Email' option.
5. Select 'Advanced Setup.
6. Select 'Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync'.
User Name: email@example.com
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Account setup complete with one single entry in the Accounts file.
No duplication of my contacts file.
Instant sync of Contacts, Calendar and Mail between my pb's mobiles and Microsoft Outlook on all of my LAN devices.
Time to sit down with a large glass of something I think! And as it is the season of goodwill, thank you members for all your helpful comments and constructive advice!
Happy New Year!12-26-12 08:35 AMLike 1
- Good for you sad_old_man. There are so many variables it is difficult to get a definitive answer to configuration problems.
Your troubleshooting may help the next person.
I have had my Gmail accounts set to use IMAP for a couple of years now because it worked better with Thunderbird on the desktop.
When I set the accounts up on my Playbook I just let it use the default settings, which appear to be what you have.
The only problem I have had is repeatedly being asked for my Gmail password. This was resolve by using Googles 2 step authentication.
I did have one account start asking for the password after the latest Playbook OS update but after entering it once it hasn't prompted m again.12-26-12 10:09 AM
- BlackBerry PlayBook Forums
- BlackBerry PlayBook
Is it just me that RIM are trying to send insane!
- By barskin in forum BlackBerry Torch 9810Replies: 9Last Post: 10-18-11, 07:26 PM
- By Mr. Marco in forum AndroidReplies: 10Last Post: 04-18-11, 12:23 PM
- By brucem76 in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 6Last Post: 11-08-09, 03:32 AM
- By brucem76 in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 4Last Post: 11-07-09, 01:03 AM
- By jasonc624 in forum Storm OS DiscussionReplies: 19Last Post: 05-02-09, 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD