Hey everyone

I know it's really not that important, but when I use the on-screen "Power Off" icon, and then select "Lock" from the four choices, my Playbook reboots

It's not a major problem (it hardly even counts as a minor problem), it looks like the icon just has the wrong device command, but I was wondering if it's just me.

Thanks for any help enlightening me.

Si.
    02-22-12 12:17 PM
    Just tried it on my playbook with no issue... Maybe try a cold restart and see if still does it..... as you said not a big deal and probably not worth reinstall...
    02-22-12 12:24 PM
    Just a minor bug in translation. On this side of the pond, the choice is labeled as "Restart".
    a33a likes this.
    02-22-12 12:26 PM
    Hey everyone

I know it's really not that important, but when I use the on-screen "Power Off" icon, and then select "Lock" from the four choices, my Playbook reboots

It's not a major problem (it hardly even counts as a minor problem), it looks like the icon just has the wrong device command, but I was wondering if it's just me.

Si.

Yup does the same on my OS2.0 Playbook. I believe OS 1.x had the same problem (they just never decided to sort it out)
    Not a big deal anyway, I'd just use the button (for those who have a working button) or the battery icon.
    02-22-12 12:27 PM
    Just a minor bug in translation. On this side of the pond, the choice is labeled as "Restart".
    How can there be a bug in translation when it's the same 4 buttons, in the same order in English US, English UK and French (and I presume other languages too)?

And thanks to everyone for your replies.

Si.
    02-22-12 02:10 PM
    This power button bug was introduced when they added the standby option during one of the monthly updates last year. When the PB was first released, there was no standby option. RIM never bothered to fix this bug because not many users actually use this feature since it is easier to use the battery icon. BTW, there is no power button icon in OS2 beta and OS2.

I'm curious. There are only 3 choices in our power button and battery icon - Restart, Stand By and Turn Off (I think they switched the order around in OS2). What are the 4 choices you have???
    02-22-12 02:43 PM
    just three choices for me as well -- restart, stand by, turn off. The only lock option I have is under Enterprise or Bridge.
    02-22-12 02:54 PM
    just three choices for me as well -- restart, stand by, turn off. The only lock option I have is under Enterprise or Bridge.
    Power Off application in os2.0 contains all four options.
    sasquatch99 likes this.
    02-22-12 03:00 PM
    you need to set a password to see the Lock button
    sasquatch99 likes this.
    02-22-12 03:04 PM
    This power button bug was introduced when they added the standby option during one of the monthly updates last year. When the PB was first released, there was no standby option. RIM never bothered to fix this bug because not many users actually use this feature since it is easier to use the battery icon. BTW, there is no power button icon in OS2 beta and OS2.

I'm curious. There are only 3 choices in our power button and battery icon - Restart, Stand By and Turn Off (I think they switched the order around in OS2). What are the 4 choices you have???
    Just checked, there sure is a power off button icon...round silver button.
    02-22-12 03:05 PM
    you need to set a password to see the Lock button
    Thanks... I didn't know that since I haven't password-protected my PB. I will do so now since there are personal e-mails, contacts, etc. So lock is different from standby? In the past, I just let it timeout to standby. Now, I will have to select lock or standby from the battery icon.
    02-22-12 03:20 PM
    Just checked, there sure is a power off button icon...round silver button.
    Lucky you. Both my PBs don't have this buggy app.
    02-22-12 03:23 PM
    The POWER OFF icon looks kind of like the actual PB power on button at the top next to the vol switches. It has been buggy in OS1 and apparently continues to be buggy in OS2.

I have the 4th option - since I have a password on my pb.

But use the BATTERY ICON and do not use the PowerIcon (unless you want to restart no matter what you press!!!!)
    02-22-12 03:48 PM
    But use the BATTERY ICON and do not use the PowerIcon (unless you want to restart no matter what you press!!!!)
    The Turn Off option still works, doesn't it? I'm pretty sure it did when I used it back when I still had the power button icon.
    02-22-12 03:56 PM
    when i updated to 2.0 i had a power button.

i then reloaded the OS and it was no longer there.

i called RIM and they said that Power Off app was removed from OS2...

For those who still have it in 2.0...maybe it's a relic of OS 1 that carried over through the update to 2.0?
    02-22-12 03:58 PM
    when i updated to 2.0 i had a power button.

i then reloaded the OS and it was no longer there.

i called RIM and they said that Power Off app was removed from OS2...

For those who still have it in 2.0...maybe it's a relic of OS 1 that carried over through the update to 2.0?
    Interesting, because I have Bridge Browser, and some people say that it's gone in OS2.0
    02-22-12 04:34 PM
    Hey everyone

Si.
    Hmm I've having the exact same problem with you. I *think* i've password protected my PB, ie when I boot up, it asks me for a password. Is there something else I need to password-setup such that when I choose "lock" it doesn't just restart?
    02-23-12 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD