Wow! amazing device, perfect size too, huge needs a huge screen which is easier to break? who needs an iPad??

This device is fantastic! I got the 32gb version from PCWorld as they have slashed the prices, any tips for any good apps etc i can get/do? also can i get os 2.0?

P.S just a quick question, is there anyway to get smooth playback off BBC iPlayer HD?

Thanks!

Looking great next to my Bold 9900
    willtothewong likes this.
    10-19-11 09:19 AM
    I too just bought one. Real excited about all the those new games being released for the playbook.

As for 'general purpose' apps, I am not sure about which ones are the better ones because I haven't had mine for very long hehe.
    10-19-11 09:56 AM
    Easy Notes, Get It Done and ScoreMobile are three apps I use multiple times throughout the day.

You can get 2.0, but unless you are a developer I would hold off. Get to know your PB first. 2.0 is a developers build and won't offer as much to a consumer as the current build will.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-19-11 10:00 AM
    I got mine yesterday. 16gig. been looking forward to getting one since last year to mate with my 9650. My personal opinion is that it is just fabulous. I think much of the negative talk I've heard is media induced. That and it takes a little more computer savvy than others in the field. But I love the Wifi file transfer. Got it going with Windows, Mac, and two Linux boxes on my network. I think one problem with folks who look down upon it, is that they aren't BB phone users and expect it to be dumbed-down which it isn't. But I think it is just great and look forward to using it.
    10-19-11 10:08 AM
    Welcome to the PB, folks. Don't let the detractors get you down. There aren't that many of them as site polls have shown but they do post a lot.

Had my 32g since early May and it's the best piece of electronics I've ever bought.
    limabo, klc99, mozzamay and 2 others like this.
    10-19-11 10:15 AM
    All the time in the 90's while using a Mac people would say to me, "You use a mac?.Ewwww". Now look at them.

So now I use Linux and the same people say, Ewww You use Linux?"
    10-19-11 10:26 AM
    i think linux has come alot further with more people using it since some distros are very gui based nowadays, ubuntu fedora etc, linux has always been amazing though.
    10-19-11 11:08 AM
    Looking forward to getting mine tommorrow, also looking to see what I should do with it first!
    10-19-11 11:57 AM
    Yep. Get my 16gb wifi PB a few days ago. I bought an android 3.2 tablet a couple months back. Hated it, as droid seems too unstable to me. Crashed apps and browsers constantly. QNX is polished and well put together. I love my PB!
    10-19-11 12:30 PM
    Mine comes on Thursday and I am way amped! Will be coming in here for lots of tips and help to figure this new goody out! For starters like how to get out of apps and back to the home screen. The people at Staples had no idea.
    10-19-11 01:07 PM
    ok been using it for a few hours now, very very impressed..... flash player in browser works flawlessy, media playback is awesome, converted a couple of 1080p .mkv files to mp4 and it plays them perfect. fantastic quality, divx .avi works out of the box also.

lovin2act. its just screen gestures, you swipe up and down etc to navigate
    lovin2act likes this.
    10-19-11 01:26 PM
    ok been using it for a few hours now, very very impressed..... flash player in browser works flawlessy, media playback is awesome, converted a couple of 1080p .mkv files to mp4 and it plays them perfect. fantastic quality, divx .avi works out of the box also.

Aaah that explains that then! I thought it was a malfunction on their display unit. Guess I am gonna have to learn the swipe moves then. I was trying different motions in the store but nothing would happen on it.
    10-19-11 01:31 PM
    yea i was like that at first lol its swipe up at the top of the screen and swipe down at the bottom of the screen, its easy when you get used to it
    10-19-11 01:36 PM
    So I've had mine for about a month now, got the 32gig one. So far I can't find anything I don't like about it. I use it plenty, for email (bridged to Torch2, which I just got yesterday), internet, some reading, some movie watching, playing a few games, I even take pictures with it since it's better than my phone for that. Being able to bridge it to my phone is awesome. The fact that I can have internet access anywhere my phone has a signal and NOT have to pay for a separate data plan is awesome! I also tend to use it for a few work related items (which was how I convinced the wife I needed it) like spreadsheets and notes during meetings and so on, really looking forward to Docs2Go in Os2. After the first month, I still love it.

Now, if them devs wil lstart making more apps, it'll be nirvana! Although, DroidPlayer might make that a moot point.
    10-19-11 01:36 PM

It is a great piece of technology. I use mine everyday at work and for personal life. My poor laptop is getting less and less attention. I am even writing sermons on my PlayBook and preaching from it. Saving on paper and ink!

I'm really anticipating what 2.0 will bring. I know the developers beta version has .mkv compatibility from another thread, and if that holds true for the consumer version with the proper audio support, that means no more having to convert Blue-ray movies!! But that is minor for me. The real sweetness comes with the maturing of the OS with capabilities that some have criticized the PlayBook for lacking.
    10-19-11 01:39 PM
    Aaah that explains that then! I thought it was a malfunction on their display unit. Guess I am gonna have to learn the swipe moves then. I was trying different motions in the store but nothing would happen on it.
    Yea, took me a while to learn the swipe gestures.

Swipe up to "minimize" an app, swipe down while in an app to access the top toolbar (if applicable), swipe sideways to move from open app to next open app (didn't know that one till last week), swipe up at angle from bottom left corner to bring up keyboard. swipe down from top while in "standby" to wake it up.

Basically, just swipe in some direction to do something. Eventually you'll get them all down.
    lovin2act likes this.
    10-19-11 01:40 PM

It is sweet isn't it? Wait till you take video with it. My wife has an ipad and shes always trying to grab my PB.
    10-19-11 01:41 PM
    . . . I am even writing sermons on my PlayBook and preaching from it. Saving on paper and ink! . . .
    I knew it wouldn't be long. I have a friend who is a pastor and his church has no bibles, everyone uses their phone with a bible app or reader. I thought the tablets would really be nice for that with the bigger screen.
    lovin2act likes this.
    10-19-11 01:51 PM
    I knew it wouldn't be long. I have a friend who is a pastor and his church has no bibles, everyone uses their phone with a bible app or reader. I thought the tablets would really be nice for that with the bigger screen.
    Using the PlayBook sure reduces clutter on the pulpit. My church is a country church...most people have cell-phones, but only a few have smartphones. I use my physical Bible when I preach, as the congregation does. I want to encourage them to read and use their Bibles since they are not into virtual, yet. But frankly it is quicker for me to look up passages and read them from the PlayBook. You got to love the multi-tasking feature!
    rs422a and lovin2act like this.
    10-19-11 02:02 PM
    It is sweet isn't it? Wait till you take video with it. My wife has an ipad and shes always trying to grab my PB.
    yes it really is a fantastic device, i am so glad i didnt get an ipad, makes you think why do so many people get ipads and not playbooks? because apple are great at marketing products and making people believe that its fantastic while the underdog playbook hardly gets any media coverage clearly wins in most areas of a tablet.
    mozzamay likes this.
    10-19-11 02:04 PM
    I have been watching this since last year. I was having a hard time justifying getting it. WOW! I don't know why i waited i have only had it out of the box for 5 hours and i can't stop playing with it the bridge browser is AWESOME i swear it actually feels quicker than my 9650 sometimes i really really like this PB anybody on the fence should just go get one if you have a BB then this is the tablet you want even if you don't it still is awesome on WiFi So SWEET! yes it still needs help but it is awesome.
    rs422a and mozzamay like this.
    10-19-11 02:06 PM
    I'm loving this. Unbiased opinions from regular new users, and no ********. Somebody please pinch me.

To you PB noobs, welcome to the family. It's great to hear from you. Sit tight, because the official 2.0 isn't far away, and it's just gonna make this thing even better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 02:10 PM
    I bought GrooovyNotes this morning and it is really a nice app. I've been going back and forth between my laptop and the PB and find myself gravitating by osmosis to the PB. Granted it may not have a billion apps for it but in reality how many are you really going to use anyway? I'm running 1.07 and I thrown everything at I can think of and I can't can't find a single fault.
    10-19-11 02:11 PM
    Using the PlayBook sure reduces clutter on the pulpit. My church is a country church...most people have cell-phones, but only a few have smartphones. I use my physical Bible when I preach, as the congregation does. I want to encourage them to read and use their Bibles since they are not into virtual, yet. But frankly it is quicker for me to look up passages and read them from the PlayBook. You got to love the multi-tasking feature!
    What's even better is you can read bible passages while projecting song verses on a big-screen tv through the HDMI port!

10-19-11 02:14 PM
    I'm loving this. Unbiased opinions from regular new users, and no ********. Somebody please pinch me.

To you PB noobs, welcome to the family. It's great to hear from you. Sit tight, because the official 2.0 isn't far away, and it's just gonna make this thing even better.

Not gonna lie I had no intentions on getting the PB (or any tablet). Then I was waiting to jump on the Kindle Fire due to price after that got announced. Then the PB price drop happened and that's what got me in the door. But now that I have learned a bit more of what the PB can do with my 9930, I am really glad I didnt get the Fire even though it was less money! I consider a tablet a luxury item not a need, so spending 5 bills just wasnt in the cards for me. Two hundred for the fire was much more compelling. I got my PB for three hundred after seeing that a hundred more to be able to have free internet access all the time with bridge, and the two cameras and twice the memory space...well that finally sold me haha! I will need some help for sure when I get it so hopefully this will be the place to come for that! I reeeally wanna know how to use this thing for watching movies! Any tips on that would be mooost righteous
    Last edited by lovin2act; 10-19-11 at 02:25 PM.
    10-19-11 02:19 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD