I ordered a new 64 gb play book from eBay Sunday and can't wait for it to get here, after much research it seems to me that it will work just fine for what I want. And from what I've read the build quality is top notch. I also like the fact that I can bridge the play book to my z10 and q10.

Posted via CB10
    castoridae likes this.
    07-23-14 09:10 PM
    would a a PB LTE work with T-Mo or ATT here in the US?
    Thanks guys
    07-23-14 09:43 PM
    However, anybody who got a PlayBook from this seller, were you able to find it's IMEI number? I can't find it anywhere on mine!
    Download the BlackBerry Desktop software to your laptop/PC & then connect the PlayBook using the mini USB to USB cable supplied. Once the PlayBook shows up in the Devices part of the software, you'll see an "IMEI/MEID" number. But its only 10 digits long. Is that usual for a tablet?
    07-25-14 04:41 AM
    Hi !

I am French and I live in France. I would buy a Playbook Playbook LTE to replace my Playbook Wifi. I find the price of this ebay seller very interesting and I would like to buy my tablet to it.

But I have few questions ...

1) Is the tablet unlocked? Usable with any carrier?

2) Is it compatible with the French carriers?

3) Is it sold with the last OS 2.1.x? Otherwise, how to update? wifi connection is fine or I must to be connected to 4G? Is there a problem if I don't have a SIM card?

Thank you very much for your help ...

Guillaume
    07-25-14 07:13 PM
    Dear Guillaume
    1. Yes, unlocked. Some in the UK have had a problem with the Three carrier (see earlier posts from TreolivesUK & Someone7272). I've used sims from T-Mobile &GiffGaff (O2).
    2. I believe France & UK use the same 4G frequencies so should be OK, but the best you'll get is 3G speeds like us, as this device is set to US/Canadian frequencies.
    3. Can be used without a sim on wifi just like the standard PlayBook. Once you connect to wifi it will offer you the latest update 2.1.0.1917.

Mine was fully discharged & took a while to get going using the rapid charger, but I believe it was brand new. It came in the proper box but the contents (apart from the PlayBook) didn't look quite new. But happy with my purchase so far.
    Kind regards
    Bertie
    07-26-14 12:12 AM
    Dear Guillaume
    1. Yes, unlocked. Some in the UK have had a problem with the Three carrier (see earlier posts from TreolivesUK & Someone7272). I've used sims from T-Mobile &GiffGaff (O2).
    2. I believe France & UK use the same 4G frequencies so should be OK, but the best you'll get is 3G speeds like us, as this device is set to US/Canadian frequencies.
    3. Can be used without a sim on wifi just like the standard PlayBook. Once you connect to wifi it will offer you the latest update 2.1.0.1917.

Mine was fully discharged & took a while to get going using the rapid charger, but I believe it was brand new. It came in the proper box but the contents (apart from the PlayBook) didn't look quite new. But happy with my purchase so far.
    Kind regards
    Bertie
    Thank you very much for your answer !
    So even though I will never use a SIM card, I will have updates? Are you sure?

And the new processor is it really faster? I use my PB a lot for internet and watching TV shows in streaming. Is there a big difference? All app to launch faster?

Thank you very much.

Guillaume
    07-26-14 02:48 AM

And the new processor is it really faster? I use my PB a lot for internet and watching TV shows in streaming. Is there a big difference? All app to launch faster?

Thank you very much.

Guillaume
    There is a significant improvement in performance as a result of the cpu bump, yes. Don't expect a high - performance device, but it's a good and noticeable improvement over the WiFi PlayBook.

Overall, I think the LTE is a worthwhile purchase if you really want to keep using a PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 05:12 AM

Guillaume
    Without a sim card, it works exactly as the standard wifi model does.
    Downsides are that this has only 32gb storage, screen is not quite as good, & battery life is shorter.
    To be honest, I haven't noticed it being significantly faster than the wifi model, but then I've always been quite happy with the speed of my wifi PlayBook. (Maybe because I don't sideload?).
    The upside for me is the 3G connectivity.
    Updates - well of course it's highly unlikely there will be any further updates from BlackBerry.
    Kind regards
    Bertie
    07-26-14 07:26 AM
    There is a significant improvement in performance as a result of the cpu bump, yes. Don't expect a high - performance device, but it's a good and noticeable improvement over the WiFi PlayBook.

Overall, I think the LTE is a worthwhile purchase if you really want to keep using a PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, for existing PlayBook users the extra processing to 1.5 GHz is 'noticeable' on Ebay UK now at a bargain 85.99!! Including P&P!!!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    07-26-14 07:26 AM
    Morning all
    I've also just bought a new lte playbook.
    Anyone any suggestions as to the best data plan here in the UK? And by best I mean cheapest :-) whether it be a stand alone or add on to your phone package, just looking to get the sim and start browsing the quickest cheapest easiest way
    I thank you in advance for any help

Conan
    08-01-14 03:16 AM
    Hi Conan
    I'm using mine as a standalone.
    I think all new sim cards now will be 4G enabled. If you use one of these in your PlayBook it should work, but you'll only get slower 3G speeds unfortunately because of the frequency difference mentioned earlier. You just need to make sure that the Network Mode when you connect is set to either '4G & 3G' or '3G' (not '4G' which won't allow you to connect).
    I'm using a monthly booster with T-Mobile at the moment for �5 but when this expires I'll try the 6 monthly booster for �20. I've also tried PAYG sim card from GiffGaff which works fine although seems slower. According to others (Treolivesuk's post above is very helpful), the only provider that definitely doesn't work is the Three network.
    3G speeds do seem to vary quite a lot, I suppose on the time of day & your location. If at home, best to use wifi which will be quicker, & if free wifi is available when you're out try that first as there is a maximum data allowance with the booster & PAYG sims.
    Hope this helps
    Bertie
    Conan69 likes this.
    08-01-14 04:32 AM
    Hi Conan
    I'm using mine as a standalone.
    I think all new sim cards now will be 4G enabled. If you use one of these in your PlayBook it should work, but you'll only get slower 3G speeds unfortunately because of the frequency difference mentioned earlier. You just need to make sure that the Network Mode when you connect is set to either '4G & 3G' or '3G' (not '4G' which won't allow you to connect).
    I'm using a monthly booster with T-Mobile at the moment for �5 but when this expires I'll try the 6 monthly booster for �20. I've also tried PAYG sim card from GiffGaff which works fine although seems slower. According to others (Treolivesuk's post above is very helpful), the only provider that definitely doesn't work is the Three network.
    3G speeds do seem to vary quite a lot, I suppose on the time of day & your location. If at home, best to use wifi which will be quicker, & if free wifi is available when you're out try that first as there is a maximum data allowance with the booster & PAYG sims.
    Hope this helps
    Bertie
    Hi Bertie
    Thanks for all that info, great news I shall try for T-Mobile as with them anyhow, just one little question, you mentioned GiffGaff would that have been a talk/text/data sim as in a standard PAYG micro sim cards as I couldn't see any data only in their website? I presume a normal PAYG would work from any network ( bar 3) but you would just never use the minutes and texts? (This is a grey area of mine)
    As for using wifi I do with my 64gb but there are a couple of places I get nothing, I did think about going with someone other than t-mobile as it gives me greater scope with coverage, I usually bridge the wifi model to my phone, but then thanks to the lovely battery on the z10 it goes flat quite quickly lol
    Thanks again for the valuable info
    Regards
    Conan
    08-01-14 05:33 AM
    Re GiffGaff, I think that all I did was order a free sim, put it in my phone & add �10 top up. Then take it out of the phone & put in the PlayBook & it connected as soon as I went to Mobile Network to log in. Simple as that. No need to buy one of their Goodybags or Gigabags!
    Here's a link which explains more:
    Data only SIM for tablet - The giffgaff community
    Once you connect, its 20p for that day unless you go over 20mb data usage that day. Then PAYG charges kick in.
    For T-Mobile, I think the allowance is 1GB a month from memory. These allowances are fine for e-mail & surfing on the go, but would be used up pretty quickly if you are downloading stuff.
    For me, I do have to stay away fairly regularly at a place where wifi access is limited so this version of my beloved PlayBook is a great boon!
    08-01-14 06:05 AM
    I've entertained the idea of picking up the LTE version for a while now just for the speed bump, if I ever run across it for cheap. I'm mostly interested in whether anyone has noticed Android apps running faster. That for me was the limiting factor - I really enjoyed using Flipboard and Zinio in a tablet form-factor but it was just far too slow on the PB (not exactly a speed demon on the Z30 either, but certainly snappier and useable). Can anyone comment on this?
    08-01-14 03:48 PM
    Yes, I can confirm Sideloads run faster on the 4g PlayBook extra processing 1.5 GHZ.

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    08-01-14 05:23 PM
    What about across the pond in the US? Would Verizon users be able to get LTE on it?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 10:07 PM
    Me too

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 04:28 AM
    Dear Bertie Bear, all,

I bought one of these LTE PlayBooks from this eBay seller, and have been very pleased with it. It's brand new and here's what I've found regarding the data networks:

EE, T-Mobile, Orange, Vodafone, TalkTalk and O2 SIMs work fine, but when I put a Three SIM in it states "the phone is locked for this network". The PlayBook will not register on the Three network, no matter what I do (MM#6 error). This is also true of the virtual operators that piggyback on the Three network (e.g. GlobalGig / Mobidata).

I am now using it on PAYG T-Mobile UK - unlimited browsing and generous download limit, but *no VOIP allowed* (though I haven't tried video chat on PB TBH). The T-Mob Internet can be purchased for �20GBP for 6 months on their PAYG tarrif - just top-up, put the SIM in a mobile phone and text 6MONTHWEB to 441. Fast speeds 3g (4g LTE not compatible here in UK), and good coverage so far. In fact, I'm replying to this post on my LTE PlayBook. Can highly recommend!

Best wishes,

TLUK
    Did you buy the 4g or 3g sim for use in the UK?
    08-02-14 04:38 AM
    Did you buy the 4g or 3g sim for use in the UK?
    Well being in Canada, not sure of the advantage of the sim card lite version.
    Currently I have a 32g and a 64g. Use them constantly. When one battery runs down to about 20-10%, I plug it into a charger and switch to the other one.
    I'm watching ebay for a third one, preferably the 64g, so call me crazy too.
    For me, l like the general mobility (take it to Europe with me to keep up on email and Fb, even banking.
    Its my camera and video,
    I like the multi-tasking,
    the HDMI capapability,
    The superior speakers,
    Wonderful graphics,
    Email, facebook, youtube.
    Sure there's the Checkerboarding on occasion, but I can live with that.
    They are my computer. Only use my old PC for uploading/downloading music, etc.
    Recently, I even bought the magnetic chargers, to preserve the plug in charge ports, an extra hdmi cable and the new mobile charger, which truly rocks.- leave it plugged into the playbook and charge borh at the same time
    08-02-14 02:56 PM
    Hi Bertie, thanks for all the info, got a sim today on the T-Mobile 6 months web, I have noticed an increase in speed due to the 1.5 processor over the wifi model, I'm impressed :-)
    And now to start filling this one up
    Thanks again
    Conan
    08-03-14 11:23 AM
    Got my Playbook LTE from Ebay yesterday, fitted payg EE data card and works great. 3g seems ample fast enough for what i need.
    08-07-14 08:09 AM
    Good to hear of the new members to the PlayBook club!
    That particular Ebay UK seller has now sold 117 of the 4G LTE PlayBooks in the past couple of months. (Hope they all signed the petition on Changeorg.)
    I'm now using Fast Browser instead of the stock browser or Origami, & for normal web browsing it really is quick. (For sites that require Java, you just toggle the button top right & it reloads the page.)
    Takes a little getting used to, but worth it. That old checkerboarding is rarely seen now.
    Also recently found Veetle for streaming films & Top Music for downloading mp3s, so happier than ever with my great pal PlayBook.
    Kind regards to all.
    Bertie
    P.S. To all new owners, make sure you get the rapid magnetic pin charger for a tenner or so to preserve the mini USB port (major reason for damaged/faulty PlayBooks).
    Last edited by Bertie Bear; 08-07-14 at 09:02 AM. Reason: To add P.S.
    08-07-14 08:59 AM
    Yep, it's good to see interest in the PlayBook have a little spike thanks to the cheap LTE's on eBay.

Posted via CB10
    Conan69 likes this.
    08-07-14 11:52 AM
    I'm moderately tempted by this. But being only 32GB, the fact I have neither an ebay account nor a Paypal one - and that when I need data on it I just tether it to my phone and actually get 4G (in the UK), and I think the sensible thing is not to bother.
    08-07-14 12:25 PM
    I'm moderately tempted by this. But being only 32GB, the fact I have neither an ebay account nor a Paypal one - and that when I need data on it I just tether it to my phone and actually get 4G (in the UK), and I think the sensible thing is not to bother.
    Probably sensible for most.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 04:09 PM
50 12