I just picked up my playbook and would like to replace the neoprene sleeve that came with the device....I've searched the forums here and haven't seen a comparison, but would be interested in hearing the pluses and minuses of the journal or the convertible case before I make my purchase later this week.

Thanks!
    11-29-11 08:00 AM
    Best way is to try it -

I got a Casecrown convertible on the cheap - not the best quality but I find it does the job rather well!! I like the various ways it can support the book.

Ten bucks - possibly cheaper elsewhere.

Amazon.com: CaseCrown Regal Flip case for Blackberry Playbook (2 Colors): Clothing

Try it- if you like the convertible idea you can upgrade to something nicer - in the crackberry store. Shop.crackberry.com - but you may find as I have that this is just fine.
    11-29-11 08:18 AM
    I'm laying on my couch using the convertible case right now. It works great for propping up on my chest while laying down somewhere. Have used it a few times for watching movies too. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't fit in my back jeans pocket with the case on, but I'm sure most cases are like that, love it otherwise. It's a great quality made case, I'm sure the journal is the same quality though.
    11-29-11 08:40 AM
    I have both and like the build of the journal case better, but the convertible case is more functional.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    jamesjmunro and slalom like this.
    11-29-11 08:45 AM
    I have the journal and I am very happy with it. Great to carry the PB around and it does not add much bulk. The only thing is that the natural way to fold it open leads to the BlackBerry logo on the PB screen to be upside down. No biggie though.
    11-29-11 08:49 AM
    I have both and like the build of the journal case better, but the convertible case is more functional.
    Correct answer!
    anon(749368) likes this.
    11-29-11 08:49 AM

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Yep, but I really, really like the leather journal case over the more functional convertible case; I just got's to have my leather.
    11-29-11 09:05 AM
    Does anyone know of a case that has pokets. I would love to carry a note pad and pen with mine.
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    11-29-11 10:34 AM
    I struggled with the choice for awhile. I like to use it as an ereader and chose the journal because of the slimmest profile and the book like appearance. I prefer the leather too.
    11-29-11 02:28 PM
    Does anyone know of a case that has pokets. I would love to carry a note pad and pen with mine.
    They do have some on Amazon.. I was looking at those too.
    11-29-11 02:32 PM
    Another poster uses this one, since the on/off button was flush with the unit and said this case allows better access to it.. it does not say if it is leather tho.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bUvbUpU6893181
    cscott44 likes this.
    11-29-11 02:36 PM
    I'm using the Convertible for now. Well-made, easy to remove, flip stand works well. I wish there were a way to lock it in place, though. The edge just rests on ridges. It's fsirly secure but will definitely slip off if nudged or jostled with any force.

Another con is the cover has no magnet or other securing mechanism to keep it closed, or keep it flat and flush when open. It also does not allow the PB to be plugged into anything when being used as a stand, as the ports are at the bottom, and the cover is hinged at the bottom. This means you can't flip it closed and lay it down to charge at night, either.
    11-29-11 02:41 PM
    I'm using the Convertible for now. Well-made, easy to remove, flip stand works well. I wish there were a way to lock it in place, though. The edge just rests on ridges. It's fsirly secure but will definitely slip off if nudged or jostled with any force.

Another con is the cover has no magnet or other securing mechanism to keep it closed, or keep it flat and flush when open. It also does not allow the PB to be plugged into anything when being used as a stand, as the ports are at the bottom, and the cover is hinged at the bottom. This means you can't flip it closed and lay it down to charge at night, either.
    I've read that other users put the PB in the case upside down to access the charging port.
    Bisboxer likes this.
    11-29-11 03:04 PM
    I've read that other users put the PB in the case upside down to access the charging port.
    Nope, the port openings in the case only fit one way.
    11-29-11 03:34 PM
    Nope, the port openings in the case only fit one way.
    Aww ok, sorry my suggestion didn't work. Hope you can find one that does what you need.
    mhw100 likes this.
    11-29-11 03:40 PM
    I was in a similar debate as you when I first picked up my pb...I went and grabbed the convertible case...but to be honest, I stopped using it after a few days...it made the PB too bulky for home use...so I've put it away, only to take it out if I go on long trips...but at home I use the neoprene when not in use...I have a gel skin on order for home use, so I'll see how I like that, but as it is, no case is the best feel, but I don't carry the pb around my home, I leave it by my bed for the most part...if you plan to use it outside and carry it around everywhere, then I can see the value in the convertible
    11-29-11 04:05 PM
    I have the convertible case and the leather pouch. I like my leather pouch for its small size and the aesthetics - plus I prefer using the device naked

My fiancee on the other hand prefers the convertible case as she likes to be able to flip it open and use it immediately without the trouble of pulling it out of the pouch. Also it's handy to stand it up from time to time. As for between journal and convertible sorry can't help you much, but my vote is the leather pouch
    11-29-11 04:05 PM
    I think I will likely use the Convertible for travel and storage, and as a stand when needed, and just use it naked around the house.
    11-29-11 04:15 PM
    Of course, this is subjective, but I prefer the convertible case. More functional. I've never taken the Playbook out since I bought it. I fold the cover when I am reading an e-book and such. Simple, and elegantly functional. Journal case looks better, but lacks the functionality. Entirely.
    11-29-11 04:27 PM
    Thanks for the feedback - I bought a convertible and am waiting for delivery from thesource.ca ... on for 50% off ($24.95).

I suspect it isn't the only case I'll buy.
    11-29-11 05:41 PM
    I liked this one at amazon:

Amazon.com: Acase BlackBerry Playbook High Quality Premium Slim Leather Case Folio with built-in Stand for for Blackberry Playbook 7-Inch Tablet - Wifi 16GB, 32GB, 64GB (Black): Electronics

and this one looks to be same case, so I bought it:

Amazon.com: Blurex Slim Leather Portfolio Case With 2 Tier Stand for Blackberry Playbook: Electronics

The prices vary from $15-25 on both of these cases from time to time on amazon for some reason. They both allow all ports and buttons to be used while the PB is in case and are light weight and thin, but very professional looking leather cases.
    11-29-11 06:13 PM
    convertible with rubber band mod (to hold the cover when i put it in my bag)
    11-29-11 07:07 PM
    I'm laying on my couch using the convertible case right now. It works great for propping up on my chest while laying down somewhere. Have used it a few times for watching movies too. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't fit in my back jeans pocket with the case on, but I'm sure most cases are like that, love it otherwise. It's a great quality made case, I'm sure the journal is the same quality though.
    I nearly dropped my pb cause i had it proped on my chest and laughed looooool...

I got the convertable case cause of the option of the stand. Great for watching movies on trips! Just imagine if netflix come out for the playbook? #Rimming haha

oh and since the pb can prop out, u can store your cleaning cloth under! hope it helps!
    11-29-11 08:21 PM
    I would love a Case with a pouch for a note pad!!!
    11-29-11 09:16 PM
    I am a pastor and have started preaching from my PlayBook...I bought the convertible case for just this purpose; the PB looks like a small notebook at a distance, and lays flat in the pulpit. I preach from it in horizontal orientation, which keeps the text near the top of the 'desk' in the pulpit, allowing for shorter eye travel to the sermon and better eye contact with the congregation. Nerdy, i know, but i love it!
    11-29-11 09:22 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD