Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By bitek
  • 1 Post By wired cleric
  • 2 Post By katesbb
  • 1 Post By Bungalow_Bill
  • 1 Post By bitek
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,521 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Java script is killing Playbook browser performance

I did not realize it until yesterday but with java script off Playbook browser is literally flying. Java script is killing performance big times. I hope Rim will optimize it. For now I started using simple browser + with tab 1 set to java off and Tab 2 set to java on for some sites that really need it.crackberry Site and forum loads up really fast without java script
    Dipps9 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    24CA5D48 PB pin 502763C8

From what ive read its the web sites implementation of java script to blame, not RIM's. But you are right, much faster and smoother with java script off; the same with my 9900
    9300, 9900, Z10, Z30 . PlayBook 64GB. Nexus 7 v2 Kit Kat
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    857 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigwhiteUK View Post
    From what ive read its the web sites implementation of java script to blame, not RIM's.
    BlackBerries have always had a problem with javascript, at least through OS6. I'm really surprised that the PlayBook still handles it slowly though, being a whole new OS system.

I was playing with my original Kindle Fire last night, with it's ancient, Amazonified Android system... and the Fire took 8 seconds to load the CNET site where the PlayBook took 12 seconds (both using javascript).

I really hope BB10 does better...
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Java script is killing Playbook browser performance

Sweet sassy molassy! I kept seeing people discussing this but always thought the browser was always "fast enough" but with javascript off a lot of pages load so much quicker. Cheers
    kdeckels likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    857 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wired cleric View Post
    Sweet sassy molassy! I kept seeing people discussing this but always thought the browser was always "fast enough" but with javascript off a lot of pages load so much quicker. Cheers
    It does, but you'll soon find that you're switching it back on a lot too, as it's often required for things like logon pages, dropdown menus, etc. Facebook wants it, Twitter uses it for various things, etc. So then you end up turning it back on and reloading the page again anyway, and it starts to seem better to just leave it on and deal with the slowness once rather than constantly switching it off, on, reloading, etc.

Turning it off is mostly a frustrating tease of what things could/should be like
    Thanked by:
    wired cleric (12-12-2012) 
    F2 and wired cleric like this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,166 Global Posts

Yepper been saying that for months. Too bad we have to wait for bb10 for much improvement.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm using SimpleBrowser+ as a second browser and this one has the Flash and Javascrpit turned off unless I decide to watch that video or access that listbox in which case I turn one or both on and then refresh. It's not ideal but it works the best for me. The stock browser always has them left on and I use that for YouTube, etc where they're always used. I don't know how fast these two things can ever be but I would love to have two buttons at the top that shows their status and let's you toggle them on and off as necessary.
    F2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow_Bill View Post
    I'm using SimpleBrowser+ as a second browser and this one has the Flash and Javascrpit turned off unless I decide to watch that video or access that listbox in which case I turn one or both on and then refresh. It's not ideal but it works the best for me. The stock browser always has them left on and I use that for YouTube, etc where they're always used. I don't know how fast these two things can ever be but I would love to have two buttons at the top that shows their status and let's you toggle them on and off as necessary.
    I like that idea. Quick access to toggle - yes - good idea.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katesbb View Post
    It does, but you'll soon find that you're switching it back on a lot too, as it's often required for things like logon pages, dropdown menus, etc. Facebook wants it, Twitter uses it for various things, etc. So then you end up turning it back on and reloading the page again anyway, and it starts to seem better to just leave it on and deal with the slowness once rather than constantly switching it off, on, reloading, etc.

Turning it off is mostly a frustrating tease of what things could/should be like
    You need it on to use like/thanks in CB.
    Thanked by:
    katesbb (12-12-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    331EEA46

Agreed, java script makes things very slow. Including our very own Crackberry.com website.

I'm not sure it is due to poor implementation of javascript on the website though. If it is, them almost every website has bad java script coded.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,521 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow_Bill View Post
    Same here SimpleBrowser+ is perfect solution. Just love its unique tab customizations. In a way best browser on any tablet.
    CrackBerry Master

The websites can be optimized but most couldn't be bothered. My sites have no loading issues as i optimized them for everyone and only takes a few minutes to do.
    CrackBerry User

Default OS system?

10 letters
    Last edited by TheNerdfly; 12-12-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: error
    CrackBerry User

oh ffs!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by TheNerdfly; 12-12-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: same error
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    No BBM

Quote Originally Posted by bitek View Post
    Same here SimpleBrowser+ is perfect solution. Just love its unique tab customizations. In a way best browser on any tablet.
    It's not the perfect solution. Waiting 7 seconds to try and switch between tabs and random bugs are an annoyance for me.
    GIT-R-DONE
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wired cleric View Post
    What's funny, is like someone else mentioned, I had to turn it on to like your post.
    If I'm posting from my laptop ...... it's only because the PlayBook's charging. TheBlackLabEdge.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

if it was the websites' use of javascript it would be universally poor.
    I dislike the whole "shut it off" argument as it reduces functionality and removes the point of the item in question (an item that is web reliant); no doubt, my 6 year old laptop starts up much more quickly in safe mode than on full boot, but I find all those other drivers really useful. sorry, but the playbook browser does not live up to its promise.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,521 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Quote Originally Posted by kboya View Post
    if it was the websites' use of javascript it would be universally poor.
    I dislike the whole "shut it off" argument as it reduces functionality and removes the point of the item in question (an item that is web reliant); no doubt, my 6 year old laptop starts up much more quickly in safe mode than on full boot, but I find all those other drivers really useful. sorry, but the playbook browser does not live up to its promise.
    I agree. Nexus 7 browsers are faster with java on. Rim needs to fix this. As I wrote in my thread comparing PB to N7 I can live with less apps on playbook as many sites can just do the job as well as actual apps but pb browser should at least be the best. this is not the case

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    brianatbb likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by katesbb View Post

_______

Good observation and consequent tradeoffs. I think I'll wait and see what BB10 does to browsing.