i guess its time for the people to start working on porting android on PB. I am pretty sure that they will port it before RIM will release OS 2.0.
    10-27-11 03:24 AM
    lol, i bought a playbook precisely because i thought android tablets were an unintuitive and ill organised mess that is something less than a joy to use.
    kbz1960 and Blacklac like this.
    10-27-11 03:53 AM
    I guess it's time for people to start realizing that android player is a "plus", not a core function. If you want android, buy android, there's a lot of good stuff in this area.

But don't customize a Porsche with sheepskin on the wheel, please.
    CracklePot and batboris like this.
    10-27-11 04:01 AM
    I guess it's time for people to start realizing that android player is a "plus", not a core function. If you want android, buy android, there's a lot of good stuff in this area.

I just hope they'll do a bit of work on editing pdfs, and being able to read most ebooks without having to come up with blank pages. This was the main reason why I've decided to return my PB.
    10-27-11 04:33 AM
    LOL! Had to give you props for that one!
    todbanner and Superfly_FR like this.
    10-27-11 04:45 AM
    I actually wish someone would do this. It would be good to have a backup when February becomes "summer" becomes "fall" and on and on.
    ferganer likes this.
    10-27-11 07:25 AM
    Anyone notice this was the OP's first and only post? The word troll was been abused and thrown around, and used for basically anyone who disagrees with their opinion. But in this case, the OP is the perfect definition of a troll. So don't feed the trolls!
    BBThemes, Blacklac and todbanner like this.
    10-27-11 09:40 AM
    <<Duplicate>>
    10-27-11 10:02 AM
    Launcher Pro for Android works well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-11 10:13 AM
    It's also kinda like customizing a porshe to run on ethanol, front wheel drive, and a large trunk to go with the honda badge.
    technology-buzz likes this.
    10-27-11 06:48 PM
    It's also kinda like customizing a porshe to run on ethanol, front wheel drive, and a large trunk to go with the honda badge.
    Completely terrible example and I will outline why :

- Society at a large views a Porsche as a high end, quality piece. This is untrue of the Playbook.
    - Many people aspire to have a Porsche but can't. This is untrue of the Playbook.
    - Porsche releases their products after thorough research and development. This is untrue of the Playbook.
    - Porsche is not known to participate in deep discounting. This is untrue of the Playbook.
    - Porsche is not publically maligned by the market or many of it's customers. This is untrue of the Playbook.
    10-27-11 07:39 PM
    yes, please, bring ICS (I would say any other OS but android seems to be the natural choice as it's open source) with email and other "professional" features that RIM touted so much.

it's not to say that I don't like QNX. QNX rocks, especially at mutitasking. But it lacks the core features that many of us need.

I will happily port Android to the Playbook for now and maybe revert back to QNX when and if OS 2.0 is released.

now, can this technically be done? Can someone obtain the drivers and everything necessary to cook a good ROM?
    Last edited by ferganer; 10-27-11 at 07:48 PM.
    10-27-11 07:46 PM
    Launcher Pro for Android works well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    exactly, that way ya can have android AND BB all in one.

nobody needs to work on porting android to pb, RIM has already done that lol
    10-27-11 07:52 PM
    Really though I don't see why we cant rally up xda developers to port say a customized version of qemu to the playbook and run android in there. I'm sure we can get a full build of android running. Getting it to install as the main os however is a waste of time. It will take months to break the security and if it isn't broken in a few months xda will give up. I would love to see a full android emulator working where RIM does not decide what we get to use and what we are restricted from using.
    10-27-11 09:32 PM
    Completely terrible example and I will outline why :

- Society at a large views a Porsche as a high end, quality piece. This is untrue of the Playbook.
    - Many people aspire to have a Porsche but can't. This is untrue of the Playbook.
    - Porsche releases their products after thorough research and development. This is untrue of the Playbook.
    - Porsche is not known to participate in deep discounting. This is untrue of the Playbook.
    - Porsche is not publically maligned by the market or many of it's customers. This is untrue of the Playbook.
    The example I was responding (and adding) to are not at all talking about how outside society VIEWs the Playbook. We are talking about running a worse OS not designed for the Playbook on the Playbook.

After getting a Porsche, this society that matters so much may change their minds and say despite the perceived quality, the comfort is crap. They may say gas mileage does not stack up to their Prius. Do you judge a Porsche based on that or is it a given that when you drive a Porsche, it's not for the common things that Society in general would be agreeable with?

So what was the terrible example may I ask? Look through your response for many.
    10-28-11 12:58 AM
    Yawn... This old gag again...

Please, jump right on the porting or is this just a suggestion for someone else to do it?

What about Mango? Maybe you should make a Windroid hybrid...
    10-28-11 01:37 AM
    Good luck trying to root this baby... don't forget it has FIPS certification for a reason... the ROM in it calls QNX. If you want Android, buy an Android tablet. This baby runs QNX for keeps.
    10-28-11 02:04 AM
    You guys are dreaming way too hard. Android will never be ported, and this Playbook will never be rooted - because it isn't open sourced and prolly won't be for some time. Move along, cuz it ain't happenin.
    10-28-11 03:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD