Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By rogprov
  • 2 Post By F2
  • 1 Post By ibpluto
  • 1 Post By scalemaster34
  1. rogprov's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default It's only since coming to this forum ...

    ... I've realised how diverse folks requirements and priorities for a tablet are. What's vitally important to some is of little or no interest to others. It must be a nightmare for the makers! For instance I have no interest in films so the absence of Netflix is of no concern to me, likewise Skype I would never have a use for it - but to others the lack of is a deal breaker.

    Do you have absolute "must haves" ?

    Rog
    Last edited by rogprov; 01-04-2013 at 04:48 AM.
  2. amjass12's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,536 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    wouldnt call it deal breaking.. i am getting bb10 no matter what, purely on what ive seen from bb10, it looks beautiful, and absolutely full of potential and capabilities...

    but as we are more mobile now and using tablets and phones more, i agree things like skype should be on there at launch.. simply because i understand the usefullness of it...i for one use skype.. and while its not a dealbreaker for me i really hope to god its there.. cos i have a desktop and dont want to have to invest in a webcam when i have a tablet with a front facing camera and soon bb10.. so it would definetely be useful!! its on the other platforms, so why not bb10... please
  3. ibpluto's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,124 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,133 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    The one absolute must for me is an excellent browser....... Most of my time is spent on the web. PB is the clear winner for this. Wife has an ipad, daughter has a mini, yet they both reach for my PB when they Web surf.....flash support alone makes it a win.

    Other important factors

    -connecting to my phone
    -drag and drop files from my desktop
    -HDMI out

    To me the PB wins in all these areas

    The only beef I have is not having a native print driver to send any content to my printer via wifi. I have a print app, but it only prints files, not emails and requires my desktop to be logged in. I would like to see the PB recognize any printers that are on the same wifi network and simply hit a print button within what ever app you are in (be it browser or email) and send directly to the printer. The ipad does this well.

    Maybe BB10 will have this
  4. crackberryjill's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    313 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Ease of file sharing is a must for me. I do a lot of photos with my playbook and need to be able to send them to other computers in the house for editing in photoshop. Don't want to have to plug in the tablet. Also to share with my family and friends photos and movies, just send the file over. I use this constantly, both with Dukto and Wifi Explorer.

    Also use this when I have the playbook connected to the TV. Just send the video file over to the playbook from the desktop.

    I didn't know before I got my playbook, but now bridge is a must. Connecting the phone and tablet together is now mandatory for me.
  5. jamesharmeling's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,088 Posts
    PIN
    333BF5D4
    #5  

    Default

    I agree. I don't use Skype and Netflix on my tablet isn't a big deal. I also have an android tablet and have never watched Netflix on it. For me (like an above post) its all about the browser and the multitasking. Right now I'm typing this while listening to the radio. I'll check emails as they come and refresh BB News for the latest BlackBerry news. I've tried many tablets and this is the best....but I'm biased due to my BlackBerryaholic nature.
    BB then, now, forever...yeah, I said it.
  6. kill_9's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,168 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogprov View Post
    Do you have absolute "must haves" ?
    Absolutely. A fundamental must have feature out of the gate of the BlackBerry 10 smartphones must be BlackBerry Bridge connectivity with the existing BlackBerry PlayBook running BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1. I never hear anything about BlackBerry Bridge functionality whenever BlackBerry OS 10 is discussed.
  7. SEAWARRIOR's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,479 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    doesn't "print to go" work for this???

    Quote Originally Posted by ibpluto View Post
    The one absolute must for me is an excellent browser....... Most of my time is spent on the web. PB is the clear winner for this. Wife has an ipad, daughter has a mini, yet they both reach for my PB when they Web surf.....flash support alone makes it a win.

    Other important factors

    -connecting to my phone
    -drag and drop files from my desktop
    -HDMI out

    To me the PB wins in all these areas

    The only beef I have is not having a native print driver to send any content to my printer via wifi. I have a print app, but it only prints files, not emails and requires my desktop to be logged in. I would like to see the PB recognize any printers that are on the same wifi network and simply hit a print button within what ever app you are in (be it browser or email) and send directly to the printer. The ipad does this well.

    Maybe BB10 will have this
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

    I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

    "By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."



    9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
  8. #8  

    Default

    Respect for FOLDERS. I don't want to wade through 2,000 photos to find one to attach to an email. I want to open word-to-go and be able to navigate between a personal docs, business docs, other docs, other-other docs, etc-etc docs, and so forth.
    scalemaster34 and Cynycl like this.
  9. CairnsRock's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    867 Posts
    Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rogprov View Post
    ... I've realised how diverse folks requirements and priorities for a tablet are. What's vitally important to some is of little or no interest to others. It must be a nightmare for the makers! For instance I have no interest in films so the absence of Netflix is of no concern to me, likewise Skype I would never have a use for it - but to others the lack of is a deal breaker.

    Do you have absolute "must haves" ?

    Rog
    My only real need is speed. The lag and checker boarding is extremely annoying to me. I have Skype and Netflix on 3 other devices and never use them, but I understand that the platform should have them just to be at least equal to the competition.
  10. welshyyyyy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    53 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Love my Playbook but like the OP I couldn’t care less about Netflix or Skype, just not interested.
    I have two “must haves/but would like them to be better”
    My must haves are drag and drop over wireless as I use it most days – however what I would like is a native app like ES Explorer - which I’ve side loaded but often crashes for me when trying to copy files wirelessly – I know there are other apps that can connect to your other wireless devices in the house but ES Explorer has the “search” button which you just press and off it goes and finds the other machines. The other apps (unless I’m doing it wrong , you have to manually type in an IP address to connect – eg my networked media player - if I reboot it, it will get a new IP address – ES Explorer will find it and I just click on it from the PBook. With the other apps, I would have to find out the IP address first – which is a bit of a pain as I have to go into the settings of the media player first (its quirky and won’t let me set a static ip).

    Also a must have is listening to music via Bluetooth – I have the BB gateway device to stream music to my home hifi system, but the PB doesn’t support the volume buttons when using Bluetooth so I have to use the hifi volume control – not a major issue but I also have a set of media speakers in another room and I don’t have a remote control for those so if I stream music to them I can’t control the volume at all, so different music from different artists is sometimes very quiet or overly loud. I’m hoping this Bluetooth issue will be fixed in BB10. The gateway device provides surprisingly good audio quality for anyone thinking of getting one.

    And lastly – again I love music so it’s a must have – a good music streaming service - I just signed up to Grooveshark for streaming music – and wished I hadn’t – very low bit rate of 128kbps ( I should have checked before I signed up but just assumed it would give options to listen at high bit rate) so the sound quality is quite poor and songs constantly buffer – that may be my 3mb broadband but with nothing else utilizing the router that should be sufficient I would have thought. Does anyone else have the buffering issue with Grooveshark and can anyone recommend any other music streaming service that the PlayBook is compatible with ?

    Almost convinced my Apple loving mate to buy a Playbook after showing him HDMI out, and the “Presentation view” option which he thought was awesome- he didn’t buy one yet but he’s wavering so I’m lending him my 2nd Playbook for the weekend so he can play with it !
  11. SlcCorrado's Avatar
    BlackBerry

    Posts
    6,233 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,286 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Make or break...

    A solid browser without limitations. I understand the security and battery issues related to flash, but having a browser without it is ridonkulous
    BB4Life
  12. pacoman03's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,354 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welshyyyyy View Post
    My must haves are drag and drop over wireless as I use it most days – however what I would like is a native app like ES Explorer - which I’ve side loaded but often crashes for me when trying to copy files wirelessly – I know there are other apps that can connect to your other wireless devices in the house but ES Explorer has the “search” button which you just press and off it goes and finds the other machines. The other apps (unless I’m doing it wrong , you have to manually type in an IP address to connect – eg my networked media player - if I reboot it, it will get a new IP address – ES Explorer will find it and I just click on it from the PBook. With the other apps, I would have to find out the IP address first – which is a bit of a pain as I have to go into the settings of the media player first (its quirky and won’t let me set a static ip).

    !
    X-Plore, which, like ES, needs to be sideloaded but which also has a LAN search function. Plus it is a dual panel file explorer, like Ghost Commander, which makes copying and pasting files easy.
  13. BB_Bmore's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,860 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications
    #13  

    Default

    I must have my PlayBook everyday.....other than that just food and water occasionally.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
  14. amiteo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default Re: It's only since coming to this forum ...

    The things that would really make a difference to me are

    - proper folder structure especially for photos
    - being able to us the usb to download photos from an sd card
    - a handwiting app that coverts to text
    - a uk app which allows video rental
  15. ibpluto's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,124 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,133 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SEAWARRIOR View Post
    doesn't "print to go" work for this???
    No, print to go is a cloud type service that allows you to quickly send documents from your PC to your PB. The name is somewhat deceiving. LOL
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
  16. scalemaster34's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,717 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    I've realized how diverse folks requirements and priorities for a tablet are.
    Yes there can be some big differences in priorities, the key is to cover as many as possible. Apple created the Tablet craze - yes I know they didn't make this 1st tablet, but they created a device built around what Apple taught people would use a Tablet for - Books, Magazines, Web and Movies & TV.

    Unfortunately I think RIM built a Tablet just to build a Tablet, with no real idea of what people would do with it. If they didn't know, how did they expect consumers to embrace it. A Professional Tablet called the PlayBook???

    What would I still like to see on the PlayBook???

    - A native eReader with full all the functions that Apple's has. I use Book Reader, but its "study" functions are not very limited And it seems to stutter a little after the last few updates.
    - Direct TV App
    - Seagate GoFlex App
    - Disney World App
    - Skype!!! I know many say they don't use it... but have you used the Video Chat App on the PlayBook?
    - To see a PlayBook option every time I see a site with their own app that says compatible with iOS and Android.
    -To figure out where I can plug my SD card in...?!?
    Thanked by:
    Crowezine (01-04-2013) 
    Crowezine likes this.
  17. Crowezine's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    373 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibpluto View Post
    No, print to go is a cloud type service that allows you to quickly send documents from your PC to your PB. The name is somewhat deceiving. LOL
    Depends which way you look at it, aha. Print and Go as in rather than printing... Like... A physical products reservation document (as in.. Reserve online and collect instore details), you can have it as a pdf to take your playbook with you instead. Pretty good really. I've used it when buying a journal case for my PlayBook. I took mine with me to test and with the reservation details. Two birds with one stone!
    Josh - Curve 9320 & PlayBook 64GB - BlackBerry Enthusiast - CrackBerry Addict - PlayBook Sideloader
  18. Crowezine's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    373 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scalemaster34 View Post
    To see a PlayBook option every time I see a site with their own app that says compatible with iOS and Android.
    Totally agree with you. When you see iOS and Android then no BB App World, you just feel left out.
    Josh - Curve 9320 & PlayBook 64GB - BlackBerry Enthusiast - CrackBerry Addict - PlayBook Sideloader
  19. uncaringbear's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    35 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    My must have's for a tablet?

    - rock solid and reliable hardware. I know this isn't everyone's experience with their PB's, but I love that my PB is built with quality. The wifi is really dependable, too. I've seen so many portable devices that have dismal wifi, but my PB doesn't let me down in that department.

    - a really good web browsing experience. I really appreciate the native PB browser and its support for Flash. Sure, it's not perfect, but it gets the job done and renders pages nicely. Compared to the web browsing experience on Android (I have both), the PB is much better.

    - Fun apps! Tablets are mostly for consumption as opposed to productivity, so I want my tablet to entertain me. Whilst the game library for the PB is tiny compared to Android and IOS, there are some really quality games for the PB that would easily keep me occupied for a long, long time (if I only had the time!). One thing I would love to see on the PB, however, is support for hardware game controllers in a similar vein that is available for Android.

Similar Threads

  1. New to this forum
    By riverajuan in forum BlackBerry Curve 8900
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
  2. I'm addicted to this forum, but it scares me too
    By liz_309 in forum Storm Rants & Raves Forum
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 01:12 PM
  3. I'm addicted to this forum, but it scares me too
    By liz_309 in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 11:21 PM
  4. hi, I am new to this forum, from Singapore
    By fxgt in forum BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 09:27 PM
  5. Only a newbie to this forum
    By Brons2 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 07:25 PM

Posting Permissions