Funny story, I was sitting in the cafeteria yesterday at work and I overheard someone complaining about their internet service provider (Rogers) controlling their services... After a while of him mumbling loudly to his buddy I started to understand that he was complaining how 'Rogers' was controlling how he views his content on his iPad and how he couldnt watch any videos on his iPad not from youtube.... WELL DUH! FLASH DOESNT WORK on an IFad!!!! I shoulda taken the pre-order on my PlayBook out and shoved in his face... but I took the high road and walked away with my dignity and said to myself, its okay, hes part of the masses, they just dont know better.. its not their fault...its Jobs' fault. sigh*..... and so I lived to see another day.
    03-24-11 08:36 AM
    I can watch all kinds of videos on YouTube both on my i4 & iPad2. No issues. The PlayBook is on the same level as the iPad2. That's saying a lot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-11 08:40 AM
    Judging from the title i think this thread will be closed rather soon.
    03-24-11 08:44 AM
    The Playbook isn't even out yet. For all we know, if it runs 5 consecutive youtube videos it will self destruct.
    They're two different devices, aimed at two different crowds and with different strengths and weaknesses.
    03-24-11 08:46 AM
    he couldnt watch any videos on his iPad not from youtube.... WELL DUH! FLASH DOESNT WORK on an IFad!!!!
    i think you guys are missing the key word in that sentence.
    03-24-11 09:26 AM
    That's a stereotypical Apple product owner. And any stereotype stems from some amount of reality.

I can watch all kinds of videos on YouTube both on my i4 & iPad2. No issues. The PlayBook is on the same level as the iPad2. That's saying a lot.
    He wrote: "any videos on his iPad not from youtube".

The Playbook isn't even out yet. For all we know, if it runs 5 consecutive youtube videos it will self destruct.
    They're two different devices, aimed at two different crowds and with different strengths and weaknesses.
    Or, for all we know, if it runs 5 consecutive youtube videos it will send you a 20$ bill by mail. Just because it isn't out yet doesn't mean we can't talk about it.
    03-24-11 09:28 AM
    I'm not saying you can't talk about it, but saying one is better than the other when one isn't even out yet isn't necessarily the way to go. Not to mention that, like I said, they're different devices and people will see them differently based on what they want out of the product so putting them in a 1 v 1 with a need for a winner shouldn't be the way to approach the discussion.
    Instead of shoving it in his face (what many people who criticize Apple users say that iPad owners do) why not inform the person that it doesn't have the capability to run Flash or let them know about the Playbook and spread the word. A little positive press won't hurt
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    03-24-11 09:35 AM
    He is right. I am on my wife's iPad now and YouTube app is ok but slow. YouTube with flash on the desktop is fast. iPad you cant view that much. With flash on android tablets and playbook the whole web is open.
    03-24-11 09:42 AM
    This is because websites now aren't all properly embedding their videos to be HTML5 browser compliant. Just today CB is looking into changing the way embedded videos are posted on the main blog site. Once done and implemented, anyone with a mobile HTML5 browser (a good one) will be able to play any video without having to get redirected to a YouTube app or the mobile YouTube site. The video will look like it does in your PC's browsers and have a play button on it and when played, the video will play full screen without any redirections. THIS is how video embedding should be done everywhere and then you won't see anyone complaining about not having Flash and other crap. Also, embedding videos like this will allow for x.264 codec playback instead of using Flash, which would also improve battery life as well since Flash is known to be a bit of a hog in that reguard.

Android Central's been doing this for a while, TIPB has as well... CB is probably next on the list guys. More and more sites should do this if they know what's good for the viewer.
    03-24-11 10:23 AM
    ok, challenge for anyone with an iPad2. go to html5test.com and post your score on here, only use the safari default browser to do so. lets see how html5 compliant the iPad (iOS4.3) really is
    Intosh and shupor like this.
    03-24-11 10:28 AM
    I got a score of 206 Ipad 2 Verizon using wifi only and then I did the test on a MacBook Air (late 2010) 11inch stock wifi of course and score 228
    03-24-11 10:50 AM
    ok, challenge for anyone with an iPad2. go to html5test.com and post your score on here, only use the safari default browser to do so. lets see how html5 compliant the iPad (iOS4.3) really is
    It's gonna destroy the test since Apple is championning HTML5!

Update: My lowly FF3.6 scores 155 with 4 bonus points.
    Last edited by Intosh; 03-24-11 at 11:02 AM.
    03-24-11 10:59 AM
    I got a score of 206 Ipad 2 Verizon using wifi only and then I did the test on a MacBook Air (late 2010) 11inch stock wifi of course and score 228
    It's gonna destroy the test since Apple is championning HTML5!

Update: My lowly FF3.6 scores 155 with 4 bonus points.
    ok, so firstly get FF4, its 255 plus 9 bonus!! (you will lose any FF3 based themes tho sadly)

secondly if the iPad2 can only hit 206, my torch browser (.486) gets 250 +3bonus (connection doesnt matter as its protocols not time based) and the playbook sim (version .94) gets 258 plus 9bonus.

so, to go back to the point i was aiming at if HTML5 is so big to apple, why so poor?
    03-24-11 11:10 AM
    Scores don't always mean isht in the mobile industry. IE fails with a lower score than the BB browser on the Acid test, but the experience is WAY better on IE. BBOS6 browser should hit 100 on the Acid test, but fails to play properly embedded HTML5 videos on websites within the browser. Safari and Android's browsers play them just fine, without any issues. So, capabilities aren't always as black and white as a browser test would suggest.
    03-24-11 11:11 AM
    Scores don't always mean isht in the mobile industry. IE fails with a lower score than the BB browser on the Acid test, but the experience is WAY better on IE. BBOS6 browser should hit 100 on the Acid test, but fails to play properly embedded HTML5 videos on websites within the browser. Safari and Android's browsers play them just fine, without any issues. So, capabilities aren't always as black and white as a browser test would suggest.
    true, but html5 test is way different to the acid test as acid also basely (only partly) on a timeframe too. while you have a valid point, if you look at all these sites that benchmark stuff (such as the ipad2 got benchmarked) then laud it as the next best thing since sliced bread, why do people shout so much if it means so little? (yea thats rhetorical lol ya know what i mean tho)
    03-24-11 11:17 AM
    It is what it is as far as safari mobile browsing goes...those of us who are not in denial...or do not pose an attachment to it...are fully aware of it's limitations....

Truth be told it may actualy be found in a said companies busness plan/model....

Impose limitations inorder to increase app revenue....browser should be uncompromised...no excuses...it is apparent to myself and some others the "real" reasons to certain ios limitations...don't be fooled! They want your money!

Peace friends...hope that was insightful to some...however insulting to others....I'm ok with that!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-11 11:46 AM
    Funny story, I was sitting in the cafeteria yesterday at work and I overheard someone complaining about their internet service provider (Rogers) controlling their services... After a while of him mumbling loudly to his buddy I started to understand that he was complaining how 'Rogers' was controlling how he views his content on his iPad and how he couldnt watch any videos on his iPad not from youtube.... WELL DUH! FLASH DOESNT WORK on an IFad!!!! I shoulda taken the pre-order on my PlayBook out and shoved in his face... but I took the high road and walked away with my dignity and said to myself, its okay, hes part of the masses, they just dont know better.. its not their fault...its Jobs' fault. sigh*..... and so I lived to see another day.
    you took the high road and instead came here to bash apple with a nonsensical post about how an unreleased untested tablet is better than the 2nd generation tablet that consumers are flocking too because it's SO GOOD.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 03-24-11 at 01:49 PM.
    03-24-11 11:59 AM
    ok, so firstly get FF4, its 255 plus 9 bonus!! (you will lose any FF3 based themes tho sadly)

secondly if the iPad2 can only hit 206, my torch browser (.486) gets 250 +3bonus (connection doesnt matter as its protocols not time based) and the playbook sim (version .94) gets 258 plus 9bonus.

so, to go back to the point i was aiming at if HTML5 is so big to apple, why so poor?
    My last post was meant to be sarcastic.

And yes, I know FF4 is better and will eventually upgrade.

you took the high road and instead cam here to bash apple with a nonsensical post about how an unreleased untested tablet is better than the 2nd generation tablet that consumers are flocking too because it's SO GOOD.
    Unreleased products have been compared to the iPad or any other devices on the market ALL THE TIME. What's so controversial about it? His point was that one can't do Flash, the other can. So for him it's better. Even if the PB is not released yet, it still better on paper. If we all must wait until product X is in the market before giving opinions and doing comparison, then this very discussion section shouldn't even exist.
    Last edited by Intosh; 03-24-11 at 12:27 PM.
    03-24-11 12:19 PM
    you took the high road and instead cam here to bash apple with a nonsensical post about how an unreleased untested tablet is better than the 2nd generation tablet that consumers are flocking too because it's SO GOOD.
    It was not written to be taken seriously... lol... chillax.
    03-24-11 12:30 PM
    Well, I don't have my iPad with me right now (too damned big!) ... my BB9000 with the latest OS5 scores ....
    <drum roll>

1! Yes indeed, one single solitary point for understanding the DOCTYPE declaration. Ha.
    03-24-11 12:41 PM

haha i know, FF4 is worth the upgrade as long as you dont mind losing your theme(s) if you use any, there are some for FF4 but not many sadly

Well, I don't have my iPad with me right now (too damned big!) ... my BB9000 with the latest OS5 scores ....
    <drum roll>

1! Yes indeed, one single solitary point for understanding the DOCTYPE declaration. Ha.
    yup, not webkit, i tried too, thats why i said BB OS6 lol
    03-24-11 01:15 PM

Unreleased products have been compared to the iPad or any other devices on the market ALL THE TIME. What's so controversial about it? His point was that one can't do Flash, the other can. So for him it's better. Even if the PB is not released yet, it still better on paper. If we all must wait until product X is in the market before giving opinions and doing comparison, then this very discussion section shouldn't even exist.
    and when they do I will continue to point out the folly thank you very much.
    03-24-11 01:48 PM
    true, but html5 test is way different to the acid test as acid also basely (only partly) on a timeframe too. while you have a valid point, if you look at all these sites that benchmark stuff (such as the ipad2 got benchmarked) then laud it as the next best thing since sliced bread, why do people shout so much if it means so little? (yea thats rhetorical lol ya know what i mean tho)
    Because it's a **** measuring thing with fanboys. To me, as long as the capability is better and there, it doesn't matter what the score is. I'd much rather have a working thing than say it got a high score on something. That's why I don't buy into the BS about the Acid Test and why RIM is so hung up on these standard tests. At the end of the day you'll find a lot of webpages don't follow the "standards" rules, so it doesn't matter if your browser got a 1 billion score if the site you're tryingto visit won't render right on your browser because the coders didn't follow the rules.

Why do you think people with FF complain about some pages not displaying correctly? Because people write for IE since that's the main choice for most people.
    03-24-11 02:12 PM
    Because it's a **** measuring thing with fanboys. To me, as long as the capability is better and there, it doesn't matter what the score is. I'd much rather have a working thing than say it got a high score on something. That's why I don't buy into the BS about the Acid Test and why RIM is so hung up on these standard tests. At the end of the day you'll find a lot of webpages don't follow the "standards" rules, so it doesn't matter if your browser got a 1 billion score if the site you're tryingto visit won't render right on your browser because the coders didn't follow the rules.

Why do you think people with FF complain about some pages not displaying correctly? Because people write for IE since that's the main choice for most people.
    dont get me wrong, i see your point, but iOS people were quick to shout from the rooftops how great iPad2 must be because of some benchmarks, and so do android people. so as in reality its what people do look at then yes it does matter (although maybe less in real world situations).

think of it like 10 hours video playback, i ent gonna be watching 10 hours of video on an ipad, but im still told this figure. it is what it is.

as for your other point, IE is shocking, and mobile website developers would be better positioning a page for chrome and safari browsers in all honesty due to their use of webkit over the IE use of trident (FF uses gecko if your interested). and as for `media doesnt play` well your talking codecs, not HTML5. two very different technologys that are handled very differently.

in the end, your very willing (iv seen it before) to criticise RIM when they dont hit a benchmark test compared to others, so by that case you should praise them when a benchmark gives them better standing too. you cant have it both ways.
    03-24-11 02:22 PM
    Dude, my Bold 9700 gets 240 plus 3 bonus.
    03-24-11 02:31 PM
118 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD